Starting over Day 1 Low Carb

Options
Need other low carb friends for motivation and advice and support. So add me ! I have 100 lbs to lose.

Replies

• CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    You're about 1.5lbs lighter than I was last July. Have you considered doing Keto? If you're already on board the low carb train, it just a step further. LC will see you go into ketosis every now and then. Anyway, it made all the difference for me.

Good luck with whatever path you take! I hope you find what works long term this time!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! Sending you a friend request!!

You can do this! Read everything you possibly can to help you understand why low carb works, and is sustainable for life! Also, ask questions when you need to!
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Need other low carb friends for motivation and advice and support. So add me ! I have 100 lbs to lose.

FWIW, I lost over 130 lbs and have kept it off since last July. Keto worked for me, and it is what I am doing in maintenance.
  • shae719
    shae719 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi!!!! Today is day 2 for me on Keto... It's really not bad at all....I feel like I'm eating too much :) I can't wait to get into Ketosis and shed these pounds....
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    shae719 wrote: »
    Hi!!!! Today is day 2 for me on Keto... It's really not bad at all....I feel like I'm eating too much :) I can't wait to get into Ketosis and shed these pounds....

Just keep the carbs under 20, track everything you eat, and keep your salts up (google ketorade) during the keto flu. Soup stock, bouillion, bone broth, etc is great for that.

Good luck, the hunger pangs pass, I swear! Once you're into ketosis and fat adapted, you start eating less and less frequently. It's why a lot of people move into IF (intermittent fasting) or 2MAD/OMAD (two or one meals a day).

Don't forget veggies like asparagus, cabbage, lettuce, cucumbers, and spinach are all good carbs. Good for you. The bad stuff like sugar based carbs should be avoided if at all possible.
    2t9nty wrote: »

FWIW, I lost over 130 lbs and have kept it off since last July. Keto worked for me, and it is what I am doing in maintenance.

Shoot.. I want that weight loss. I has 108lbs or so to go to my initial goal of 173. 102lbs down today. I'm gaining muscle fast into my 270s now and getting shredded from biking most weeks at 50 miles. I can't wait to be in maintenance though. How's that going for you? High fat to maintain causing any trouble? Any tips?
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    shae719 wrote: »

Shoot.. I want that weight loss. I has 108lbs or so to go to my initial goal of 173. 102lbs down today. I'm gaining muscle fast into my 270s now and getting shredded from biking most weeks at 50 miles. I can't wait to be in maintenance though. How's that going for you? High fat to maintain causing any trouble? Any tips?

I have toyed with the macros to better suit my own inclinations. I don't eat as much fat as many people do. It don't typically add it intentionally unless you count the HWC in the first cup of coffee. Fat is usually under 100 g a day. I find I am happier with more protein, and so that is the "version" of keto I am doing in maintenance. Carbs are keto levels - 20 net or below.

I have to say maintenance is going very well from my perspective. I am holding steady with the weight. BG is well-controlled with no meds. Energy and sense of well-being are good. I am happy with what I am eating and find it very satisfying.
  • GammieLCHF
    GammieLCHF Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I’m right there with you. You can add me. Anyone can. I lost my old info and had to sign up new! Ack. I need to lose 100 pounds. Day two.
  • 2t9nty
    Options

I think I replied to this and cropped it incorrectly.

Maintenance is going well. I try to keep protein over 175 and fat under 100. Carbs stay under 20 and are usually under 10. It works and I am happy with what I am eating. General satisfaction is good, and I am used to the routine by now. I am very happy to have found something that is working and seems to be maintaining current weight easily enough. I am T2D, and the glucose levels are very well controlled with all this. I am off diabetes meds. The meter is predicting a 4.8 for my next A1C.

I decided not to focus on fat. I was interested in maintaining lean body mass, and I had plenty of fat reserves. My logic was that I did not need so much dietary fat. I don't check ketones, so I don't know where I am with them.

• dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You got this.
    I lost 80+pounds on low carb
    Low carb or keto.. find the balance for you!