Tone and build muscle

Options
I am most interested in toning and building muscle

Replies

• ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I think that's great because muscle adds more calorie-burning potential to the body. Have you lifted weights before? Will you use other methods for toning, such as yoga or pilates?

Jenn
  • stacyesparza5
    stacyesparza5 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert by any means but to build and tone requires upping your muscle and lowering body fat (to see the beautiful muscle) so calorie intake should go up. Start with a 50% protein, 30% carb, 20% fat of your calorie intake. Make sure you are always using weight that challenges you. Example.....if you can do 10 reps no problem you need to bump up the weight. Good luck to you! :smile: P.S. Remember to eat as clean as possible
  • Kathy98513
    Kathy98513 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I started with focus on weight loss. total weight down 25 lbs. (some not logged cuz app crashed once and lost data) now I need to tone it up. I have some health problems that involve nerves and connective tissues. I am using water therapy in warm exercise pool. using stetch bands for resistance training. we will see how it goes 🤞🏻🏊🏻‍♂️. A little bit more to consider, I am almost 63 yrs old.

Any other I deas for me?
  • must_deflate
    must_deflate Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I like gym machines (instead of free weights). They help you to keep proper form. I've done weight training on machines for over 30 years now.
    Whatever you do, just find some kind of routine that you can manage and keep it up about 3x per week. It doesn't have to take a lot of time if you do high weight and a low # reps. I do 8 to 12 reps at the maximum weight I can handle-- and one set. Works for me and I don't do anything special with diet.
  • Kathy98513
    Kathy98513 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    thanks for your input. I will start very conservatively but keep on track. i like your point about 3 times per week.
  • oatzilla
    oatzilla Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    At my college, people over a certain age get to use the gym really cheap, and you get access to coaching and friends. If you're near a college it could be worth your while. I love learning about form and strength from the ladies at my gym.
  • mrschappy182
    mrschappy182 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat, just dont want to pay for a gym membership and would rather workout at home.
  • Princesstri
    Princesstri Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    @Kathy98513 if you can afford it, I highly recommend hiring a trainer to teach you some exercises specific to you and proper form. I’m 55 and I’ve always worked out on my own (biking, skiing, jogging). I started lifting weights a couple of years ago because I’m older now and believed I had better put on some muscle to help as I age and I was doing squats wrong and gave myself runner’s knee. It’s an overuse injury. Never had knee problems before. I’m working with a trainer now and it’s improving because I’m working on my weak muscles, not my too-strong ones. I had no idea on my own. If you consider this, my advice is to find a trainer that specializes in Functional Movement.