Living The Lifestyle Monday 4/15/19

Options
imastar2
imastar2 Posts: 5,944 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for April are below:

Monday - imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday- jimb376mfp (Jim)

Today's topic: Staying in control, derailing, losing it mentally or any number of issues that make your losing or maintaining weight difficult. How did you? or how would you pull out of your slump if you were in one. ?

Replies

• steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    The mechanics of "slumps" are mostly straight-forward (barring a medical issue): you're eating more than your burning.

However, the underlying cause is more challenging to sort out, but probably needs to be identified before one can address it and move forward.

I guess one can nearly always argue that when one is in a slump that means that weight-loss is a lower priority to you than other things that are "causing" you to eat more. For example, sometimes "self-medicating" with food because of significant stress at home or work is of higher-priority than weight-management. Until you either get the stress under control, or learn how to avoid using food as "medicine" in that setting, you won't really be able to get your weight-management program under control.

When I first lost weight with WW, I got down to a pretty low weight. Over the course of a couple of years, it drifted up a bit (still below my WW goal, but definitely a bit above where I wanted it to be). I "wished" the weight off for years, but it wasn't really a priority for me. There were other priorities, like having a glass (or two, or three) of wine or beer, or having some food that was more "soothing" because I was having a tough time at work, etc., etc., etc.

Right now, I feel like I've got a lot of that other stuff under control, and I've been focusing on my weight again. Of course, when it's higher-priority, the weight comes off.

So, my suggestion (to myself as much as anyone else) is to figure out what's going on in your life first, try to really be introspective about it, and then decide if the problems are addressable right now. Some very wise GOADies used to say that it's ok if weight-loss isn't the highest priority at the moment. If it's not, though, it's probably worthwhile to admit that to yourself and not beat yourself up over not losing weight!
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,076 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I ate too many ribs and a bit more mac and cheese than my body needed on Sat nite. I planned in my mind to eat the properly smoked baby back ribs (a fixed amount was served) which were a fundraiser dinner. For the most part and maybe because of my age I just get back to what got me there in a short amount of time. Usually next meal or next day. I have been fortunate enough this time around to not have "gone off the wagon" or "driven into a ditch" for any long amounts of time. Yes I have had creepage due to less retraint which has taken me up to the border of my BMI "healthy weight" but so far not a continuing upward spiral.

I too at times have been as much as 15 lb under my WW goal weight for periods of time. I feel the best at about 7 to 8 lb under. I suppose that puts me somewhat closer to the mid -range of what works for me.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,918 Member
    Options
    I KNOW that my biggest problem is weekends. Normally, with Friday weigh-in, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are "off plan" to quite an extent. 67, 82, and 43 SPs this weekend. The rest of the week I work at it. Weight is starting to slowly drift off with my concentration on weekdays.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,195 Member
    Options
    I always try to return to the healthy habits I have created throughout the years. As mechanical as that may sound, it is the very reason I've tried to make things like portion control as methodical as possible. Don't think. Just do. It ain't romantic, but it gets me back to where I need to be.
  • imastar2
    edited April 2019
    Options
    (If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear.)

I chose this topic because I am, have been for over a year dealing with and have recently been involved with (Staying in control, derailing, losing it mentally or any number of issues that make your losing or maintaining weight difficult.) and hearing from the group can and does give me pause to ponder a number of options or thoughts as to how and why I'm continuing to suffer through this. One would think that a person 71 & 1/2 years of age could snap out of something as simple as deciding to lose weight and just say no.

I say that as I have read @steveOmania 's post above and this has things in it that I need to reread because there are statements there that I need to give some deeper thought to.

Also I have been seeing a phycotherapist for over a year but when we think we're making headway something pops up in my life that throws a kink in the process.

I did in late 2010-2011 make the decision to lose but I'm realizing just now that something is very different from then almost 9 years ago and now.

At that time I had very very severe sleep apnea (OSA). At that time I had an insatiable appetite because of sleep deprivation. Within 48 hours of being on my prescription and being treated with the bi/pap machine I woke up and had what one would call just a normal appetite. I was no longer hungry within an hour of eating as before my treatment started and the results was I lost a 100lbs within 9-12 months.

So fast forward to over a year and a half ago and this issue pops up by that I mean I've gone about my daily routine which is anything but routine. Without getting into too much detail about my personal and business life I feel cramped to say the least like I need to get rid of something. Time has never seem to be any more precious to me than now. I just have a lot going on in my life and all good but there seems to be a point that a decision has to be made in the area of sitting down with DW and sorting out mine and her priorities. She by the way is 100% on board with getting to the bottom of this weight loss thing. At almost 72 years of age and being obese I'm playing Russian Roulette at 348 lbs & 5'8.

So I know I haven't had a chance to get on the board and put my situation out there because it takes a long post to explain these thoughts.

But I know this one thing. This LTL board and comments thereof can be life changing and when we jump on here and post it can have an effect or be effective. So the journey goes on. Thanks if you took the time to read this post. I'll get through this it's just gonna take getting my priorities aligned with my priority of loosing weight.
  • imastar2
    Options
    @steveOmania part of your above post may be way more profound than you might think. These are precisely the types of comments that this thread is so meaningful for many of us. I know I jump on here make a quick comment and move on with the day but in the introduction of the thread it states that (your thoughts on a topic may be the very thing someone needs to here.)

Thank you Steve @steveOmania.

(So, my suggestion (to myself as much as anyone else) is to figure out what's going on in your life first, try to really be introspective about it, and then decide if the problems are addressable right now. Some very wise GOADies used to say that it's ok if weight-loss isn't the highest priority at the moment. If it's not, though, it's probably worthwhile to admit that to yourself and not beat yourself up over not losing weight!)
  • imastar2
    Options
    @misterhub again your above post may sound simple and if one is not careful they might read hastily through the post and not get the real thrust of what your saying. Great contrbution.

(I always try to return to the healthy habits I have created throughout the years. As mechanical as that may sound, it is the very reason I've tried to make things like portion control as methodical as possible. Don't think. Just do. It ain't romantic, but it gets me back to where I need to be.)
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    @imastar2 I'm glad it helped spur some thought! I was just passing on ideas that other GOADies had provided in the past.

The point is that we all have our own issues and sometimes we do have to give ourselves a break. We're often our own worst enemies! I have gone through some challenging times in my life and haven't necessarily responded in the most healthy way. All we can do is live and (hopefully) learn.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Staying in control, derailing, losing it mentally or any number of issues that make your losing or maintaining weight difficult. How did you? or how would you pull out of your slump if you were in one. ?

Timing. Maybe it's a matter of semantics but I think of a slump as a sustained period of mindless eating or disregard of my plan.

Of course, I get derailed from time to time. Stress, celebrations, just-because-es, etc. descend upon me and occasionally I get distracted / off my plan. However, those are not the norm anymore. So brief, temporary derailments really don't lead to slumps.

Pulling out? Admit to myself there is no reason pulling out of a slump ought to take any more effort than falling into it. After all, I am choosing to weigh less / live more than I did before I started WW. Persistence, not perfection. I learned it here the first time. No need to re-learn it every time I stumble.
  • imastar2
    Options
    Thanks to all great discussions.