Living the Lifestyle (LTL) Friday 12 April 2019.

Options
Jimb376mfp
Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for April are below:

Monday - imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday- jimb376mfp (Jim)

Today's topic: No Finish Line!
We all know that there is no real Finish Line to LTL to continue success on our Weight Loss Journey ( WLJ)

How long have you been on your WLJ?
How many WLJs have you been on?
Do you accept the mantra that there is No Finish Line!

Replies

• Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

On my CURRENT WLJ I have been on it since January 2013. At age 65 I began my latest and LAST WLJ six years ago.

From ages 20s to 60s I tried to lose weight several times. My largest amount 80# in 1986 I got to 202. Then it was I stopped at the Finish Line and gained it all back plus more.
    I would lose weight but never thought about maintaining a Goal Weight.

In 2015 I reached losing 100 Lbs! The most weight I lost but was still obese at 276. My WW Leader (Coach) told me “ Now DON’T STOP!” That made me understand the No Finish Line. My next year was to NOT GAIN back the 100 Lbs I lost, I was successful and lost 16#.

Then I decided to keep going to lose weight, I made GW after five years and made Lifetime in 2018.
    No Finish Line is my reality, I accept the past that showed me if I reach a Finish Line I will lose.

• jasper60103
    jasper60103 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    1) How long have you been on your WLJ?

Since May 2010, so almost 9 years.
    Lost 140 lbs.

2) How many WLJs have you been on?

This is my first one.

3) Do you accept the mantra that there is No Finish Line!

Yes, I have to keep my head in the game. If I put on weight, go back to basics.

• gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    1) How long have you been on your WLJ? Since June 2011, goal attained February 2012

2) How many WLJs have you been on? 4 major ones. Age 16 lost 40 lbs, age 27 lost 110 lbs, age 41 lost 130 lbs, age 50 lost 50 lbs.

3) Do you accept the mantra that there is No Finish Line! Absolutely. I thought I was cured when I lost weight at age 16. My subsequent journeys proved the fallacy of that thinking. Took me a long time to get body, mind, and spirit all in alignment to stop traveling up and down the scale.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,854 Member
    Options
    1. Been on my current WLJ since November 2006, I know that because that is when I had a heart attack, down by 60 lbs since then but still not at goal or lifetime.
    2. How many WLJ's This is only my 3rd (only he says) Lost 40 Lbs in my late 20's got down to about 185 then lost interest (I got this) it was not through WW, it was with a local small program in NJ.
    Lost the same 40 lbs in my 40's. It was stress as I was going through a divorce at the time. Lost 60lbs in my 50's to 60's. Funny how much motivation a heart attack can give one
    3. Yeah I get it that there is no finish line, although I will some times lose sight of the message, after almost 13 years I get it!
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,077 Member
    Options
    My current WLJ since October of 2007 and @ goal 50 LB lighter in June 2008.
    How Many WLJs ? Uh how many grains of sand are there on the beach in Seaside Oregon? LOL Uh more than one for sure. Including my own I would say a half a dozen anyway plus repeats.
    No finish line? True but that is not depressing to me anymore just the way I eat and live.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options

Since 12/24/94. That’s right Christmas Eve. I felt so bad I was afraid I wouldn’t make it to my New Year’s resolution.

I didn’t join WW until spring of 2006.

2. I lost about 45lbs when I was 24-25. Gained it all back with a lot more.

Sure. I can’t weigh 175lbs living a 220lb lifestyle.

• imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,944 Member
    Options
    Currently still journeying. Started this particular journey back in 2010 and lost 105 lbs but still needed to lose 100 more on top of that. 2017/2018 I came off the rails and and gained around 50 lbs that I'm currently in the hunt to remove.

I have been on journeys since I was in my teens and including this one lost 100 lbs 5 different times.

Do I believe there is a finish line line? In my situation I know there will never be a finish line for me.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I've been on my weight-loss "journey" (wow do I hate that term) for 10 years now, and this is all my first real attempt to lose weight. There certainly is NO finish line, because of simple weight-management mechanics: You can't keep your weight low if you eat like you did when your weight was high. The process of weight-management is to change your eating patterns in a way that can be managed for the rest of your life.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,921 Member
    Options
    I've been on my weight-loss "journey" (wow do I hate that term) for 10 years now, and this is all my first real attempt to lose weight. There certainly is NO finish line, because of simple weight-management mechanics: You can't keep your weight low if you eat like you did when your weight was high. The process of weight-management is to change your eating patterns in a way that can be managed for the rest of your life.

I prefer "death march" to "journey". One way or another, keep on forever, or don't and die quicker.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options

I started my WLJ about five years ago this month, I do believe. This is my one and only time (I disregard the half-assed attempt at South Beach about 10 years ago. It was over almost the day after it started.) I absolutely do accept the No Finish Line mantra, but I've come to realize that the methods will change even if the objective does not.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,921 Member
    Options
    Made LifeTime in 1979. Stopped going to meetings, and started gaining.

Even with my shoes off I'd have a tough time counting.

Yes, and/or Death March!