lc jumpstart, then return to eating everything in moderation

Options
brenn24179
brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
I got my weight down thru low carb in about 4 months, 30 pounds and now trying to eat everything so I can have my fruits, bread and pasta. I have been doing good for about a month. Anyone else go off lc after getting weight down? I can always go back to lowering carbs if weight goes up.

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    My WOE ended up being good with approx 100-125g carb in maintenance, which is still lots of carbs if you want to add beans, potato, some fruit, a bit of pasta etc. But it can easily get carried too far. Starts to set up cravings and still needs to be watched for portion size. A proper portion size of pasta isn't what most people think, lol.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Beware adding in too many carbs--I gained 2 kg over xmas and now am having a tough time losing it again. Keep reminding myself that they fatten cattle on carbs... ;) good luck!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Carbs are not essential, they are for energy, so the easiest way to increase carbs and not gain weight is to be more active.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    With @tcunbeliever on this one. Use them for energy.

Carbs aren't an enemy until you take them in to the point of excess beyond your energy/activity needs then the trouble starts. Consume what you need to fuel your muscles and life and avoid the conversion to body fat.
  • supergal3
    supergal3 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    @brenn24179: Congratulations at reaching your goal!

I think a good rule would be to watch portion sizes and do weekly weigh-ins. Weekly weigh-ins will allow you to see how well you are able to handle different foods and make adjustments accordingly.

I am struggling (since January!) with my last 5 pounds. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  • brenn24179
    Options
    supergal3, just keep on keeping on, took me 4 months to lose last 5 pounds. Thanks for all your replies, if I start gaining I will definitely lower my carbs, it worked great for me. For now I want some fruit and bread, and try to be careful.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Binging was my reason eating everything in moderation did not work out so well pre LCHF. :(

Now I can eat all I want without binging on carbs.
  • mrvivinwales
    mrvivinwales Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I was 17stone 3 lbs after using my fitness pal I went down to 11 stone 7lbs and reversed my diabetes 2 and no longer on medication. My weight has quietly gone up it went to 13 stone 5 lbs so back on the low carb and I am now back on course 12 stone 12 lbs now, and my goal is 11 stone 7 lbs and once that's achieved to maintain that weight give or take a few pounds, either way, I am 71 now and feeling pretty good.
  • Ecosse2018
    Ecosse2018 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    After losing 25 lbs I started adding a few carbs, such as one slice of toast, or an apple or a small plain biscuit, only to find my weight increased. It appears that I can’t eat above 20 grams carb without putting on lbs. So I have decided I would rather be slim than eat extra carbs. It all comes down to what is important to each individual.
  • Ecosse2018
    Options
    Hello Supergal, I managed to lose my last five pounds by IF, that is I only had coffee for breakfast, lunch at one, then dinner at 7. I was never very hungry in the morning, so skipping breakfast wasn’t a problem for me. Good luck with those last lbs. 😊
  • supergal3
    Options
    Thanks, Ecosse2018 for the IF suggestion!
  • Ecosse2018
    Options
    Hi Supergal, I hope it works well for you. Have a good IF LC day. 🌝
  • GammieLCHF
    GammieLCHF Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Ecosse2018 wrote: »
    After losing 25 lbs I started adding a few carbs, such as one slice of toast, or an apple or a small plain biscuit, only to find my weight increased. It appears that I can’t eat above 20 grams carb without putting on lbs. So I have decided I would rather be slim than eat extra carbs. It all comes down to what is important to each individual.

Yep. I don’t gain on carbs above my start weight. Which is weird. But I do gain back all my losses and then no matter what I eat I stay there. I mean I ate JUNK the past few months and as much as I wanted and didn’t gain an ounce. Only problem is I need to lose 100 pounds!
  • Ecosse2018
    Options
    Gamme, that made me laugh!!!!
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    If "everything in moderation" worked for me, I wouldn't need to lose weight in the first place. While I am not very good at consistently keeping my carbs low, my cravings disappear when I stick with it. For me, I am very doubtful that moderation will work, but right now I need to focus more on long term consistency and enjoy how much better that makes me feel.
  • supergal3
    Options
    @brenn24179 Glad you are having such success! Maintenance can be hard if we get lazy about it. Seems you have a plan that working!
  • brenn24179
    Options
    thanks supergal3, I keep telling myself you don't want to get on those scales in the morning sad and guilty, seems to be working, consequences I guess. I use to not weigh very often, then got in denial. Or I gained so much, it was too big of a job losing it.
  • brenn24179
    Options
    Binging was my reason eating everything in moderation did not work out so well pre LCHF. :(

Now I can eat all I want without binging on carbs.

Yes, my weight is up 4 lbs, time to get back on low carb, if it works, it works