Living The Lifestyle - - Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Options
whathapnd
whathapnd Posts: 1,235 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for April are below:

Monday - imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday- jimb376mfp (Jim)

Today's Topic: What is sacred when it comes to your health/eating plan/fitness?

Replies

• jasper60103
    jasper60103 Posts: 222 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Today's Topic: What is sacred when it comes to your health/eating plan/fitness?

One thing I tend to do is stay active if possible, even when my eating habits get a bit sloppy.
    I generally feel so much better after some exercise, that I don't want to skip.
    But we all know the almighty fork is more powerful.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    My morning time at the fitness center during the week. My long adventures either on my bike or my feet on weekends. I get grumpy when circumstances try to interfere with either of them.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    What is sacred when it comes to your health/eating plan/fitness?

The one truly "sacred" piece for me is keeping kosher. Everything beyond that requires some flexibility!

Regarding health, in general, I don't consciously try to eat "healthy," but healthy-eating comes as a consequence of managing my weight. That has had many positive benefits, certainly, but it's not really a focus of mine, per se.

For my eating plan, I like to eat in a certain way, but I don't really worry too much if I have to adjust based on circumstances.

Finally, I have a routine I'm happy with for fitness. With that said, it isn't sacred either, as I have often had to adjust that plan for timing, injuries, etc.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    Tracking
    Without tracking I don’t know what I’m eating.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,918 Member
    Options
    Only thing is to keep on keeping on.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Most important thing in weight loss is the number on the scale. There are a lot of things that flow from that. But basically the WL part standing alone- it’s the number.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,918 Member
    Options
    Morning
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,076 Member
    Options
    I do have habits and eat the same veggie omelet daily when at home. The only thing I think of as "sacred" as in must do is MOVE MOVE MOVE. I walk with a buddy mon,wed,fri, and sat. but I also bike every day. ok ok ok I have biked 105 out of 106 possible days from Jan 1st thru yesterday. Studies have indicated that it takes three days in a row of the equivalent of something like 10,000 steps (maybe 8,000(?) is good enough) to stabilize our blood sugar so it is important for me to move daily.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,195 Member
    Options
    Water consumption. I am not a soda drinker. I usually drink a cup of coffee in the morning and a couple of cups of tea throughout the rest of the day (but sometimes not). The occasional glass of iced tea.

But the one consistent thing for me is water. Just plain old water. If I have my one cup of morning coffee and water the rest of the day, I am good.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,944 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    What is sacred when it comes to your health/eating plan/fitness?/

Eating non processed food/ eating correct portions and or tracking/ just get moving just as walking stationary bike or something related to moving.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    What is sacred when it comes to your health/eating plan/fitness?

Good question. Maybe nothing--so I have to recommit at some level every day. Or maybe that's the sacred thing. Let's face it; I got here due to my old habits and behaviors. Right now, I don't see going back to them, but who does after having had some success? And yet, many have done just that. I don't kid myself. I'm confident that under some combination of circumstances, I might just be one of those people.

I think as long as weight management is a choice for me, that choice in and of itself might be sacred. Knowing that I have to make mindful decisions about my food and drink in order to keep the weight off helps keep me in the game, day by day. And yet, there are days that if I weren't paying close attention, the impulse to feed the beast could easily win over the choice to resist it.

So I guess remembering that I made this choice freely and it's as important to me today as it was the day I started WW might be the one thing that at least for now is sacred to my journey.