Living the Lifestyle - Thursday, April 18, 2019

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,195 Member
edited April 2019 in Social Groups
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for April are below:

Monday - imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday- jimb376mfp (Jim)

Today's Topic: Does food have restorative effects?

I am sitting here today with either a very bad cold or a mild flu. No temp, so I am going with the former.

Motherly advice would be to eat a lot of chicken soup. To some extent, science says there is a grain of truth to this. My experience is that the soup tastes good, but that the rest associated with some down time probably does more good as it allows my body to fight off the infection.

But, truth be told, especially those of us with weight issues, many of us these days focus solely on the negative aspects and effects of food. However, are there restorative effects from food that we dismiss or ignore? Can certain foods re-energize us? Can certain foods revitalize our immune systems? Can certain foods de-age our bodies? Or, is it all bunk, and food is merely energy for day to day existence?

What are your thoughts?

Replies

• gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I certainly believe that a veggie-rich soup helps boost my immune system and that the warm broth helps to make my nasal passages feel better. Plus the broth helps to offset the fluid lost with all the coughing and nasal drainage. Note that the soup I'm talking about is homemade, including the stock. I roast a chicken, strip off the meat, and then put the carcass in my crockpot for at least 12-16 hours to make a rich broth. I strain the results but do not skim off the fat. Then this broth goes into a pot with carrots, onions, celery, the chicken meat, and a bunch of herbs and spices. It is then packaged into 1 cup containers and frozen.

Will my veggie-rich soup or my daily veggie-packed omelette de-age my body? I wish, but no, it won't.

I also drink 4 ounces of unsweetened cranberry juice every day. Only 35 calories but I believe that the phytonutrients it contains also helps my immune system.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,076 Member
    Options
    Like hot soup and had some Phô soup yesterday extra spicy. Not sick. When depleted from glycogen and glucose in a long cycling event (say 100 miles) any foods rich in sugar or tea laced w honey can make ya instantly recover and feel better.

For illness I eat the best I can and I like soup anyway.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Does food have restorative effects?

I think good (more specifically, nutritious) food probably does have some restorative effects for me. Knock on wood, I'm generally pretty healthy and don't get sick often. I spend a fair amount of time outside, pretty much year-round and maybe that helps build my tolerance. I can't help but think making healthier food choices certainly doesn't hurt and quite likely has helped me restore my body.

A short time ago, I realized that prior to following my WW plan, I used to get a doozie of a cold / flu every fall, just like clockwork. It's been several years since that's happened. Whether its due to healthier eating or just coincidence I don't know. I do know that I appreciate not going through that 7-10-day ordeal though.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,944 Member
    Options
    Yes I believe it does have a restorative effect at least from a short term view. I can go too long without a meal and get the shakes then upon eating get over it pretty quick. As far as being sick I also believe the is an effect but selective choices must be made. Chicken noodle soup bought off the shelf has way too much sodium for me to consider it to be a good choice even if I'm under the weather. I honestly think science is on the side of restorative eating. By this I mean eating a well balance diet all around will have as much an effect of restoring the body to health as much as anything we can do.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    I haven't really bought into healing foods, but the more i think about it, I'm changing my mind. And I know w/o a doubt that some foods make me feel awful.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,918 Member
    Options
    "Healing" foods? "Restoritive" foods? Or simply "comfort" foods. Sometimes a dish of good mac 'n' cheese, or tuna 'n' noodles can lend balance to one's life.