Low Carb Buns

Options
GammieLCHF
GammieLCHF Posts: 139 Member
wvt7yb3ps0h5.jpeg
I was super happy to find these two carb buns. Baked them yesterday and really turned out well! Tonight I sliced leftover pork loin and sautéed it with Worcestershire, minced garlic and Montreal steak seasoning - baked just to melt the pepper jack cheese. 😋 Here’s the bun recipe if anyone is interested.
http://www.findingradiance.com/2011/02/24/magic-rolls-eades-low-carb-comfort-foods/

Replies

• GammieLCHF
    Options
    Those look like one carb buns!
  • snavemom
    snavemom Posts: 56 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    No no no. These are NOT KETO. You need to eliminate flour. PLEASE watch some youtube videos by Dr. Ken Berry or another favorite is the Diet Doctor on KETO.

1bh0xqb9cisr.jpg

KETO is no flour no sugar not even artificial.

2 c. shredded mozzarella
    4 oz. cream cheese
    3 large eggs
    3 c. almond flour
    2 tsp. baking powder
    1 tsp. kosher salt
    4 tbsp. butter, melted
    sesame seeds Sesame
    dried parsley

Preheat oven to 400° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt together mozzarella and cream cheese.
    Add eggs and stir to combine then add almond flour, baking powder and salt. Form dough into 6 balls and flatten slightly then place on prepared baking sheet.
    Brush with butter and sprinkle with sesame seeds and parsley. Bake until golden, 10-12 minutes.

GammieLCHF wrote: »
    wvt7yb3ps0h5.jpeg
    I was super happy to find these two carb buns. Baked them yesterday and really turned out well! Tonight I sliced leftover pork loin and sautéed it with Worcestershire, minced garlic and Montreal steak seasoning - baked just to melt the pepper jack cheese. 😋 Here’s the bun recipe if anyone is interested.
    http://www.findingradiance.com/2011/02/24/magic-rolls-eades-low-carb-comfort-foods/

• snavemom
    Options
    I disagree. Strict KETO, there are limitations. Dirty or Lazy Keto is another thing. And while I don't have an issue with either, if one wants to do STRICT KETO, these foods above are off limits and will kick you out of ketosis. https://dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    snavemom wrote: »
    I disagree. Strict KETO, there are limitations. Dirty or Lazy Keto is another thing. And while I don't have an issue with either, if one wants to do STRICT KETO, these foods above are off limits and will kick you out of ketosis. https://dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto

Your keto may be like that, but STRICT KETO, if you want to get technical, would be the medically theraputic version for epilepsy. That's what it was developed for. And it's like 80-90% fat and very low protein by necessity. Andreas Eenfeldt and his cadre don't have the trademark on keto. Ketosis requires few enough carbs for long enough. That's what keto is. There are many different ways to skin that cat. Higher fat, mod fat, low protein, mod protein, high protein, with low-carb junk food, or without. I've never been kicked out of ketosis by a tiny bit of wheat, or artificial sweeteners or other artificial foods. I was keto for a straight 1.5 years. But I have read there are some people who react to artificial sweeteners in weird ways as well, but we can't say, as there is not enough evidence, that this is gospel for everyone. You absolutely can accidentally break your carb limit with those things for sure if you aren't careful, but carbs are carbs at the heart of it, and if you eat too many of whichever carbs, then you'll temporarily lose ketosis.

Skin your cat by whichever method you like, by following whichever keto protocol seems to mesh the best with you and your needs, but there is no "One True Keto" unless you're following the medical neurological protocol. There's only low-enough carbs to switch over to making and burning ketones. How you achieve that and sustain it long term is up to the individual. :smile:
  • snavemom
    Options
    I totally agree with you however I don't do artificial sweeteners, no grains, no sugar. I eat a lot of fat (healthy fat) proteins, and as low of carbs as I can go.

15au6q64bb90.jpg

baconslave wrote: »

Your keto may be like that, but STRICT KETO, if you want to get technical, would be the medically theraputic version for epilepsy. That's what it was developed for. And it's like 80-90% fat and very low protein by necessity. Andreas Eenfeldt and his cadre don't have the trademark on keto. Ketosis requires few enough carbs for long enough. That's what keto is. There are many different ways to skin that cat. Higher fat, mod fat, low protein, mod protein, high protein, with low-carb junk food, or without. I've never been kicked out of ketosis by a tiny bit of wheat, or artificial sweeteners or other artificial foods. I was keto for a straight 1.5 years. But I have read there are some people who react to artificial sweeteners in weird ways as well, but we can't say, as there is not enough evidence, that this is gospel for everyone. You absolutely can accidentally break your carb limit with those things for sure if you aren't careful, but carbs are carbs at the heart of it, and if you eat too many of whichever carbs, then you'll temporarily lose ketosis.

Skin your cat by whichever method you like, by following whichever keto protocol seems to mesh the best with you and your needs, but there is no "One True Keto" unless you're following the medical neurological protocol. There's only low-enough carbs to switch over to making and burning ketones. How you achieve that and sustain it long term is up to the individual. :smile:

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the input except maybe the extreme stuff but at 19 carbs a day on average, I’m deep in ketosis. And these buns at just over 2 carbs each don’t have but barely any flour in them. Also, they are homemade and a lot more healthier IMO than the low carb tortillas from the store with fifty ingredients I can’t pronounce in them, (which is what I’d be using - cause I’ve never found a better sub and I’ve tried a lot of things like cloud bread or slippery lettuce or cream cheese pancakes) so I’m good with these when I need a sandwich “bread”. :)

Thanks for your concern and opinion, I guess. But I’m in heavy ketosis, so I’m calling that “keto”.

They look fab to me!
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options

I couldn't disagree more. I HAVE consumed up to 75g carbs of high branched cyclic dextrine (super fast digesting carb) peri-workout and can remain in ketosis (above 0.5 mMol). Having both glucose and ketones for my workouts is amazing. This is the great thing about keto.
  • GammieLCHF
    Options
    They came out even better tonight. Def use the whole egg instead of the egg white. That was the only difference. I’d say 50% puffier. These are almost identical to popovers in texture and taste. But about 1/10 the carbs. Adding a before and after photo so you can see the size they grow. hu30eysowycc.jpeg
    oz0pl58yo6jr.jpeg
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I just looked at the recipe and these are low carb/iifym but they are not Keto. Keto is no grains no sugar. Maybe check out Cloud Bread for a true Keto bun.

https://www.spendwithpennies.com/cloud-bread/

Or my favorite is 90 Second Bread. I make mine with a mix of Coconut and Almond Flour and like to play around with different add-ins.

http://insidekellyskitchen.com/recipe/90-second-almond-bread
  • GammieLCHF
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I’ve tried those both. I dislike them both. Alternately these are delicious and how I do keto. I had two yesterday and my net carbs fit the day were still 19 (under 20 is my goal).

I have heard you can use any flour like almond or coconut in these but I haven’t tried it and prolly won’t. If someone does tho, let me know how it goes.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    oz0pl58yo6jr.jpeg

those look like the inside of a english muffin, my favorite :o
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I need to try these for my daughter.....She has a higher carb limit than me so that she doesn't feel deprived. She's still in high school and doesn't always have the option of eating super strict. I would much rather she eat a little higher on carbs than return to the SAD which would not benefit her at all. They look a lot like real bread.
  • GammieLCHF
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »
    I need to try these for my daughter.....She has a higher carb limit than me so that she doesn't feel deprived. She's still in high school and doesn't always have the option of eating super strict. I would much rather she eat a little higher on carbs than return to the SAD which would not benefit her at all. They look a lot like real bread.

If you’re familiar with popovers they are just like them in texture. They make a sandwich but it’s a little fragile. I’ve heard they make good toast too, which would prolly enhance their structure for a sandwich.