Living The Lifestyle Monday 4/22/19

Options
imastar2
imastar2 Posts: 5,944 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for April are below:

Monday - imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - whathapnd (Emmie)
Wednesday - minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday- jimb376mfp (Jim)

Today's topic: The Most important thing?

1. What do you feel is the most important thing you do or can do to either maintain your weight or to lose weight.

I know there are many things but can you define the most important? It might be something you actually physically do or perhaps it's something you mentally do.

Replies

• imastar2
    Options
    I do realize there are many important things that play a part in the process of maintaining or losing weight and it's a difficult task to say what is the most important thing I do to lose weight. This topic came to me and I thought well I'll throw it out to the group and see what we get.

The more I stop to think about it the more difficult it is to answer this question. It's somewhat like which came first? The chicken or the egg. My first thought was ok I have to make a decision that I must lose weight then break it down to the semantics of losing. So making the decision would be the most important. Then I think ok I must tract everything I eat and make sure what goes in is tracked and I have a measurement of intake knowing this has to be less than I burn to make it work.

So maybe it's not so easy to determine what's actually the most important thing afterall.

Given the choice and knowing I have to make a decision I gotta think that making a mental decision to lose weight becomes for me the most important thing. Without the decision to lose then deciding to track and watch portions along with the many different facits of losing don't really even come into play. It will be interesting to see where this topic goes.

• gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    My daily activity is the most important thing I can do for weight maintenance. And it isn't because of the calories expended, but rather for the calming/centering effect it has on my brain. Even my 2 mile stroll yesterday at the arboretum was incredibly helpful since it allowed me to be out in nature enjoying spring in its glory.
  • jasper60103
    jasper60103 Posts: 222 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    After grabbing a cup of coffee...

I usually upload the previous data from my fitness tracker.
    Then I pre-track my planned meals for the day.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Avoid alcohol. That's a big thing that often trips me up. It becomes too easy to rationalize extra food when your defenses are down!
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,195 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Consistency and tenaciousness. They're locked together in my mind. This is a day after day thing. We truly can't be lax or take a day off from what we do. We can make mindful decisions to deviate course briefly; but, those deviations must be planned and approached with genuine forethought. Then - right back up on that old horse.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,918 Member
    Options
    Avoid alcohol. That's a big thing that often trips me up. It becomes too easy to rationalize extra food when your defenses are down!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    What Steve said!
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    What do you feel is the most important thing you do or can do to either maintain your weight or to lose weight.

For me, I think it's the decision on a daily basis to commit to following my plan. Rarely is that a difficult choice for me nor anything I spend a great deal of time or hand-wringing on. Instead it's just a steady day-by-day decision to keep on keeping on with this lifestyle. All the short- and long-term benefits come from that choice.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    imastar2 wrote: »
    ...I gotta think that making a mental decision to lose weight becomes for me the most important thing. Without the decision to lose then deciding to track and watch portions along with the many different facits of losing don't really even come into play. It will be interesting to see where this topic goes.

@imastar2 , I find the subtle distinction between your "decision" and my "choice" to be noteworthy. When I started this lifestyle, I knew it was important to me, yet I refused to make it a battle. One thing that has helped me accomplish that was to realize I was choosing to lose weight, primarily for me but also for my family / loved ones.

As a choice, it's a manageable decision B) . I don't have to "fight it" or rebel because it is something I want. Surprisingly, having that as my foundation makes most of my other choices align with the objective and entails very little resistance, most of the time.

I don't know if that might be of any help to you but I do know so much of this lifestyle has been about what goes on in my head. Any little advantage gained there seems to make a big difference in how I carry out my plan.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Tracking. Even during periods when I’m maintaining OK without it. Tracking.

It’s what got me to goal weight. And it’s my go to when GW is at risk. And there always seem to be rough spots where that happens. I don’t see how I would get back to the place where I feel like I’m driving the bus without it.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,076 Member
    Options
    Hard to say. Daily activity keeps my blood sugar stable which helps in maintenance and helps me to eat better portions too. Need the portions.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    Tracking. Even during periods when I’m maintaining OK without it. Tracking.

It’s what got me to goal weight. And it’s my go to when GW is at risk. And there always seem to be rough spots where that happens. I don’t see how I would get back to the place where I feel like I’m driving the bus without it.

Agree TRACKING!

It helps to know what you are are eating and how much. Without Tracking it’s a crapshoot.

Last night I ate graham crackers and still afraid to look at what SP count was! Mindless eating of cinnamon graham crackers :disappointed:
  • imastar2
    Options
    Great! discussion everyone. There truly are variations that make us all tick.

@minimyzeme Ken yes what you wrote does help. The decision was made long ago for many of the same reasons you pointed out for you. So really it comes to a daily decision about the choices made each day. Good discussion.
    😀👍