Almost vegan.

Cindy781
Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
Hello everyone! I am transitioning from pescatarian to vegan. I was vegetarian for over 20 years before adding fish, now making the healthiest change to vegan. I’m hoping to learn more about vegan food and recipes here. Also, I’m researching what supplements vegans should add to their diet.

Replies

• ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    I was pescatarian for awhile as well and am now vegan. Getting enough B12 and zinc are key. I find that I struggle most, additinally, with getting enough protein. So, maybe focus on those. I was surprised to see that I get enough iron in my diet -- I was worried!

Jenn
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    I am a life long vegetarian turned vegan two years ago, I've never needed to take any dietary supplements before (the only supplements I have needed to take are vitamin D because I live in the UK and work in a basement.) None are necessary if you eat a varied balanced diet, which is perfectly easy plant based - after all we go to the source of nutrients rather than recycled through another living being!
  • Cindy781
    elliej wrote: »
    I am a life long vegetarian turned vegan two years ago, I've never needed to take any dietary supplements before (the only supplements I have needed to take are vitamin D because I live in the UK and work in a basement.) None are necessary if you eat a varied balanced diet, which is perfectly easy plant based - after all we go to the source of nutrients rather than recycled through another living being!

• Cindy781
    Thank you elliej!
  • Cindy781
    Thank you Jenn!
  • Riley4ever
    Riley4ever Posts: 225 Member
    Hi, I’ve been veggie for 32yrs and vegan for the last 5yrs (I have auto-immune thyroid disease - underactive thyroid - which means my body absorbs less vits and minerals so I get certain ones tested every 6-12 months and have had to get essential ones to optimum levels).

It’s essential to supplement with B12 (humans used to get this from outdoor water sources and soil but nowadays everything is so sanitised - washed veggies, tap water etc we need to take a supplement. Meat-eaters only get B12 from meat because the animals are injected with it). You can either eat lots of B12 fortified foods like nutritional yeast, fortified plant milks etc or you can take a supplement. BetterYou do a great oral spray that I use - just 4 sprays each day - and tastes great. Insufficient B12 can result in increased nervousness, anxiety, brain fog etc and its essential to have optimum levels (there is a very wide ‘normal’ range and you can still experience symptoms at the lower end).

I also use their D3 oral spray as I live in cloudy U.K. and am fair skinned and don’t sunbathe.

Iron is important but unless deficient and advised by GP I wouldn’t supplement - focus on getting enough from diet by incl. lots of dark green leafy veg, dried apricots, tofu etc.

I also think Magnesium is important - it’s depleted when stressed - so I use a magnesium spray (on skin) for after shower/bath to replenish during times of stress. Epsom Salts also contain magnesium.

As long as you follow a mainly WFPB diet, you’ll get all the nutrients you need and seriously don’t stress about protein, there’s protein in all foods incl rice, veggies, nuts, legumes, beans, seeds etc so if you’re eating a varied diet you’ll get plenty. we need far less than people make out. It’s something meat-eaters love to bang on about. Sure, if you’re into strength training or body building then go for extra pre and post workout protein shakes by all means.

Hope that helps 🌱