Zero Carb High Fat Food

Options
alo1216
alo1216 Posts: 2 Member
Help! I'm not meeting my fat and calorie goals but meeting my carb and protein. Any tips or recipes that you can share?

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Without being able to see your diary, I'd say to use more fat in your cooking. EVOO, Coconut Oil, Avocado Oil, Ghee, Bacon Fat, Lard, Duck Fat, etc. Fat has 9 calories per 1g, so adding just 1-2T of healthy fats per day should help.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Fat is an upper limit, it's ok to be under.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Fat is NOT a goal. You do not need to try to reach it.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Is your reason for eating a ketogenic diet for weightloss or some other medical/health issue?

The answer would likely change my response.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Is your reason for eating a ketogenic diet for weightloss or some other medical/health issue?

The answer would likely change my response.

Sames.

OP, if you are trying to lose weight, you do not need to reach or exceed your fat goal. Try to be at your protein goal, at or under your carbs, and at or under your fat.

If you are trying to gain body fat, then you can add fat with various methods - HWC, butter, add more fat (oils, butter, HWC) to cooking or just on top of foods, etc. Here's an idea: Take some diet root beer (i.e. zero calorie) and add a couple tb of HWC for a root beer float.

If you are following keto for a health reason and maintaining, then you can add some fat to reach your goal and not exceed it... same method as above.
  • snavemom
    snavemom Posts: 56 Member
    Options

You must eat fat to burn fat on Keto. https://healthyeater.com/flexible-dieting-calculator
    alo1216 wrote: »
    Help! I'm not meeting my fat and calorie goals but meeting my carb and protein. Any tips or recipes that you can share?

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
    Options
    snavemom wrote: »
    You must eat fat to burn fat on Keto. https://healthyeater.com/flexible-dieting-calculator

That’s absolutely untrue and doesn’t even make any sense. How do explain fasting? They aren’t eating fat to burn fat?
    Adding more fat than needed will absolutely lead to fat gain.

True, if not said in the nicest way. :confused:

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    That calculator is an IIFYM calculator, not a keto calculator and it's trying to give me 194 g of carbs per day, which is probably not going to keep me in ketosis.

I don't have a favorite keto calculator to help since I calorie/carb cycle, and that doesn't sound like what you are looking to do, but really it's all about keeping protein over your goal, and carbs under your goal, and don't worry about where the fat falls. If you have fat on your body that you want to get rid of, then there's no reason to eat all the fat except to satisfy appetite.
  • RachelEdwards1977
    RachelEdwards1977 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    You need to hit your protein goal, carbs are a limit and fat is a lever, purely for satiety.
  • snavemom
    Options
    I'm sorry but what you are all describing is not KETO. A keto or ketogenic diet is a low-carb, high-fat diet that can help you burn fat more effectively. By eating healthy fats such as olive oils, avocado oils, Ghee, bacon grease, butter, MTC oil, etc so that you become a fat burning machine. Fats are the number one component, protein is a little less and very low carbs, ideally between 10-30. On a ketogenic diet, your entire body switches its fuel supply to run mostly on fat, burning fat 24-7. That is why you NEED healthy fat.

Please watch these videos on what KETO really is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=zrRDnLJdjmQ

My favorite is all of Dr. Ken Berry's videos. Very informative.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vtf-dEePAQ

Watch these videos, then we can talk about what KETO or a Ketogenic diet really is. Actually, it is more of a lifestyle.

• snavemom
    Options
    Hi,
    You need to hit your protein goal, carbs are a limit and fat is a lever, purely for satiety.

I respectfully disagree. Keto is

1. HIGH FAT
    2. Moderate Protein
    3. Low Carbs
  • snavemom
    Options
    Right now I am not talking about intermittent fasting. Basically, I am talking about what the KETO or Ketogenic diet or lifestyle is.

https://blog.bulletproof.com/keto-intermittent-fasting-weight-loss-diet/

snavemom wrote: »

That’s absolutely untrue and doesn’t even make any sense. How do explain fasting? They aren’t eating fat to burn fat?
    Adding more fat than needed will absolutely lead to fat gain.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I’ve been keto for 4 years. I don’t add fat to my already high fat food.
    For example, 90/10 ground beef is 50% fat by calories and zero carbs. I maintain a state of Ketosis eating this way just fine. I have fat on my body that fills in the gaps. Which is my goal. To use that fat.
    Even at 120+ grams of protein, I maintain Ketosis just fine.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I rarely met my goals too exactly. While losing, I typically kept carbs under 20g, give or take 20g. Protein was somewhere in between 70-100g, although I usually tried to hit 90g. Fat was 50-150g depending on hunger, with near 100g being typical.

On days I wanted more calories, I often went over on protein but because I have no reason to keep protein low, it worked well for me. Protein is fairly satiating for most people so it usually satisfied me.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    There are many ways to "up" your fat intake if you desire. Start by looking at how you can incorporate healthy oils (Olive, Coconut, Ghee, Organic Butter.) If that doesn't hit your fancy, then try to incorporate some foods that have healthy fats like avocado, walnuts, almonds, macadamia nuts, etc..

If that still can't get you relatively "close" then you can always make some fat bombs...there are literally thousands of different fat bomb recipes out there..there's a strawberry cheesecake one I love and I'll use it from time to time if I have excess calories to fill (I maintain my 500 deficit almost exactly) and I'm low on my fat grams.

Good luck!!