Living the Lifestyle - Wednesday, May 8th

Options
gadgetgirlIL
gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for May are below:

Monday - myallforjcbill (Bill)
Tuesday - GavinFlynn1 (Gavin)
Wednesday - gadgetgirl (Regina)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - Al_Howard (Al)

Today's topic: Dietary Supplements

What, if any, dietary supplements do you take? If you take any, what do you feel that they do for you?

Replies

• gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I take several:

Fish oil capsules - since taking them, the random itchy patches that I had on my hip and in my armpit have vanished

Tumeric - seems to help reduce the pain and inflammation in my thumb joints. I messed up these joints when I did way too many hours of transcription work on my dissertation back in 2012.

Calcium, magnesium, vitamin D (recommended by my doctor) - to help with bone density. I can't eat dairy products (GI distress) so this helps replace what I'm not getting with food.

• cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,854 Member
    Options
    no supplements for me, I have tried a variety of differnt ones over the years with very little to show for it. I finally came to the conclusion that it was money spent with out much in the way of results. Now perscription meds! Those I take by the boatload as a result of having a heart attack in 2006.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    I add egg protein powder to my oatmeal. Ups the total protein to 30 grams.

I made a conscious effort to increase my protein about 18 months ago and lost about 8 lbs with no other changes. I wasn’t even tracking then.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,532 Member
    Options
    I used to take Turmeric Bio Blend capsules to help with inflammation on top of my prescription stuff. Before my back issues popped up 4 years ago I found Turmeric helped with my knee and general joint achiness go down. I just stopped taking them and haven't noticed much of a difference. Right now I just take a Vitamin C and my Dr has me take D3. I do take a multivitamin for what its worth.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,921 Member
    Options
    Multi, flax seed oil, folic acid,iron, alpha lipoic acid, calcium with D, C, B1, glucosamine chondroitin, turmeric, and fish oil.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,195 Member
    Options
    I take Vitamin D3 and B12.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,944 Member
    Options
    Yes I take a packet in the AM with a Multi 2 tablets of Fruit, 1 soft gel Omega and 1 tablet Osteo. I also take a joint formula a D.

On the PM in the afternoon another pack with a Multi and 2 tablets of Veggies, and 1 Osteo.

The joint formula really helps my arthritic knees and other joints for aching. Most of the AM and PM are private label. Sounds like a lot but it gives me energy and I can tell when I don't take them.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    Magnesium, fiber, probiotics, fish oil.multi vitamin, cinnamon tablets, vitamin D.

All prescribed by my PCP. Mostly to help with digestion and T2D.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    What, if any, dietary supplements do you take? If you take any, what do you feel that they do for you?

Only Vitiman D - as a possible antidote to our seemingly constant grey, gloomy skies. I'm definitely prone to depression during extended periods of that. I think it helps--but I'm also working on doing my own attitude adjustment. The combo has made a noticeable difference this year, but into our fifth month of it...
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Calcium and vitamin D, as per my endocrinologist's plan. I have no idea if it helps, but it's likely useful when combined with weight-bearing exercise to help minimize bone loss (I have low bone density).
  • GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    I take a metric ton of vitamins and other pills that my wife wants us to take.

The supplement that makes the biggest observable difference is Lutein and Zeaxanthin. It’s a vision supplement, and when I take it I don’t need reading glasses. When I stop taking it, within a few days I need to use reading glasses again.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    None. Other than a prescription for Vitamin D which I take once a week. I still don't understand how someone who lives at the beach can be deficient in Vitamin D. But it shows up that way every year when the level is measured at my doctor's office.

But, in reading through the comments, it appears that a lot of us are taking Vitamin D.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I take a metric ton of vitamins and other pills that my wife wants us to take.

The supplement that makes the biggest observable difference is Lutein and Zeaxanthin. It’s a vision supplement, and when I take it I don’t need reading glasses. When I stop taking it, within a few days I need to use reading glasses again.

Hmmm...maybe I should consider Lutein. I've noticed that I'm having to use my reading glasses more and more often these days. Or maybe it's just because I'm old as dirt. ::shrug::
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,854 Member
    Options
    lutein and Zeaxantin for reading? Hmm I never heard that one before, I will have to research & think about this one