Living The Lifestyle ~ Monday, 5/6/19

Options
myallforjcbill
myallforjcbill Posts: 5,532 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for April are below:

Monday - myallforjcbill (Bill)
Tuesday - GavinFlynn1 (Gavin)
Wednesday - gadgetgirl (Regina)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - Al_Howard (Al)

Today's topic: Short Term Goals

Thursday we talked about having health goals. Both long term & short term goals were mentioned.
  • When you set a short term goal, it can be thought out in terms of attainability, timeline, willingness, etc or it can be somewhat arbitrary such as a group challenge, a special event on the horizon or .... How do you go about determining your short term goals?
  • Should things go sideways do you tend to let go of the goal or finish it out and see how far you can get anyway?
  • Besides, behavioral goals, do you set weight loss goals for a fixed period of time?

Replies

• myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,532 Member
    Options
    1) Lately, they have been opportunities from a third party that I had little emotional investment in. I have not had much success. Weight loss challenges have been a disaster or making one "change" this coming month haven't worked well since I haven't been moving forward health wise. I think sometimes we get the cart before the horse and set goals without starting with the question "What is I really want". Motivation and perspective seem to fall into place and then short term goals seem to work for me. At least they used to, so we will see.
    2) I try and see them through unless I have zero emotional investment in the goal. Then I find the truth is they never really were a goal.
    3) Sometimes in the past, but I don't find that motivational. But I do find I tend to think that way first. I leave for a cruise in less than 6 weeks. First thought I had last night was, I need to refocus and drop at least 10lbs by then. I decided this morning to focus on basic behaviors instead and hope to lose 10lbs as a result.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,076 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    In many days I am very much a day to day guy. I have standards in my mind of what are positive things to do each day from activity (arguably numero uno) to eating proper foods and amounts.
    When (not if) things go a bit sideways I have that emotion and then get on with gettiin" on health and nutrition wise. In some ways I think of it more as habits than goals per se.
    My eating went south last night when I ate too much at a Thai resturant. Oh well back at it today.

I don't make New Year's resolutions and cannot remember ever doing that. I have signed up for a few challenges such as number of cycling days per year challenge. I did that in memory of a guy who passed away a couple of years ago. this year I put less pressure on myself.Last year for somewhat unknown reasons I signed up for 300 days of cycling even though the original challenge was just for 250 days. they made us choose a number. I did exceed that but I didn't like pressure. So far this year I have done (thru yesterday) 124 days of cycling out of a possible of 125 days but I know that I will be on vacation later without a bike.

I like the idea of keeping my old standard of 3000 miles of cycling in the back of my mind. Not exactly a goal but a good standard of activity. OK so it really is in that sense a goal. I have done over 6000 miles twice and with injuries etc a bit over . My last six years I have exceeded the following mileage. 2013 and 2014 over 6000 miles each year, 2015 and 2016 over 3800 miles each year, 2017 over 3760 miles and 2018 over 3500 miles. It adds up.
    My health goals are to be active daily, drink less than 1 or 2 craft brews max, sleep well, and eat the right foods and amounts. I average close to 10 miles daily on bike and walk about 4 miles on mon,wed,fri, and sat.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,195 Member
    Options
    I honestly have not done much work in short term goal setting. I don't say this as a positive; I think I need to do more short term work. But, most of my goal setting has been in terms of generalized long-term goals.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,944 Member
    Options
    I've run the gambit on this weight goal thing long, short, midterm etc;. When I first joined WW I proposed a time limit for my goal. I found from reading about other experiences Goadies that putting a time limit on weight loss was not necessarily a thing to do. There multiple sites reasons all of which I found the hard way were correct. Instead I put other goals to work which did work for me but they even ran their course because I didn't stick to thrm.

Recently a goal for me is one that is more immediate and very simple and limited to keeping it simple and limited to 1-3 max items. Example concentrate on not eating the wrong food. Another would be focusing on one meal at the time but yet focusing on planning. The mind must be set in the right frame of positiveness for anything to work.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    I really don't (or haven't) set short-term health goals. I'm a little bit resting on my laurels just weighing 75-80 pounds lighter than I did when I started weight management back in 2014. I'm also pretty preoccupied with several life changes that take up a lot of my time and energy. The end is in sight and I really would like to see it through to complete C25K this year. I think it's still possible. Time (and whether I'm truly committed to it--to make it a priority) will tell...
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    I don't really set "end-result goals." Instead, I tend to develop "process-goals." For example, I don't shoot to lose X amount of weight by Y amount of time. Instead, I shoot to eat in a particular way (currently, no desserts and no alcohol during the week), with the idea that when the process works, I'll achieve a desired result.