Vacation foods

Options
MichiganJen
MichiganJen Posts: 40 Member
I’m going on vacation with me entire family. We’re going to the ocean.

It’s usually a lot of wine, ice cream and convenience food because who wants to cook when you can be lounging on the beach? I know I’ll going to have to do some of my own stuff, and I’d like to prepare ahead with what I can. We’re staying in a new place and I don’t know what I’ll have access to in the kitchen.

Any suggestions on quick and easy foods that travel well or favorite road trip snacks?

Replies

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    hard boiled eggs, cheese, pepperoni, sardines
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    salami, sliced cheese(seconded), summer sausage, pepperoni(seconded), beef jerky, and kefir
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Instead of ice cream buy some Skyr yogourt (Icelandic - higher in protein and lower in carbs than Greek) and add a few berries and sweetener or a squirt of those water flavourings for a yummy cheesecake-like dessert. It can also be made into excellent thick dips with yummy spices - dip celery sticks, cauli or brocc florets, zucchini coins, pepperoni bites, etc.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    Pork skins

On vacation I track, but I just watch carbs really.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Nuts

Also, grilled or steamed seafood is amazing and generally readily available at beach towns. A lot of times I will do it over salad or with a salad since cooler foods are also desirable for hot weather (at least for me). Or steak on the grill. Most beach hotels or houses have grills.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Most hotels will at least have a mini-fridge, so cheeses and lunch meats are a good option. You can also make ahead stuff that you can eat cold, like steak cut into cubes or home made low carb chicken nuggets, etc. I second Skyr yogurts (Siggi's 4% and with cream varieties are awesome!).

Unless you're going to be living off gas station food the whole time, there are usually a ton of options available. Most burger joints won't bat an eye at you asking for a "lettuce bun," and most sub places have a "salad" (or, as Jersey Mike's puts it "in a tub") option for all of their subs. Most places in general have pretty solid salad options, and of course, grilled seafood is always an option.
  • MichiganJen
    MichiganJen Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Not living off of gas station food - thank heavens - but sharing meals and a kitchen with a bunch of family members.

I told my mom I’m buying my own food so I don’t get “the look” if I eat a 2nd egg in the morning. 🙄. I’ll pull from my own stock and eat theee eggs if that’s what I want.
  • VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    See if you can skew the family menu to your favor. Sauteed chicken and veggies over rice or pasta. You just ear the sauteed stuff. Etc
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Bring a jar of pickled eggs. Cold, salty, vinegary, pickled eggs straight out of the fridge are a great snack food.