Living The Lifestyle- Tuesday 5/14/19

Options
GavinFlynn1
GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for May are below:

Monday - myallforjcbill (Bill)
Tuesday - GavinFlynn1 (Gavin)
Wednesday - gadgetgirl (Regina)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - Al_Howard (Al)

Today's topic: Pick-Me-Ups

Most of us have been following, or trying to follow, a healthy lifestyle for more than a few days. It seems that most of us have gone through periods of greater and lesser motivation or willingness to adhere to the habits and lifestyle that get us our best results. When you have hit a rough patch, what methods most help you get your groove back?

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Tracking. It’s always been tracking. Most recently old fashioned calorie counting using MFP.

How do I get past the denial? Am I really over 170lbs? Am I really going to have to ramp up the whole process? For 1.8 lbs? Really?

Can’t explain that.

• misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,193 Member
    Options
    I go back to the basic routine and work to focus on the good health habits I know work. Sounds simplistic, but it is what works for me.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it is just a matter of doing something, no matter how small or short, to get back into a healthy routine. For example, I haven't bothered with any running in 2 weeks. So today my only goal was to accumulate 1 minute of running during my 30 minutes of walking on the treadmill. I ended up getting in 3 minutes. It was too hot in the fitness center to want to do any more than that.

Something is better than nothing.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,075 Member
    Options
    Well it is hard to say. Without trying to be too silly I do have that emotion followed by shrugging my shoulders. In a lighter vein I tell others I have shrugged my shoulders so much that I do get massages. Not trying to trivialize this at all but just my thought for the day. I too get back to my routine next meal or next day. The exception could be a vacation out of the country. About half the time I have been up and half the time down from such travel.
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    As bad as I hate to admit it -- weighing, measuring, and tracking.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,193 Member
    Options
    I realized I am getting a shot at this today. I had a way overly indulgent day yesterday.

Today, I am just concentrating on eating the right food in the right amounts. Again, simplistic sounding, but much harder to execute.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,911 Member
    Options
    TOL threatens me. Says I'm costing her money, as she's reclaimed lifetime.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,848 Member
    Options
    Weighing measuring, tracking pretty basic.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,943 Member
    Options
    If I get off on the wrong road the most important thing for me is get back on the straight and narrow the very next meal. If I wait it's going to keep going and going and going. I participating in a new program with a new nutritionist. I believe she's correct in her approach and I just have to stay with her program. Believing is the key and taking the proper action gets results.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,941 Member
    Options
    Telling myself that I'm recommitting seems to be helpful. There have been times in my life where I've recognized that I've said "I'll *try* to stick to my program." The word *try* seems to be the word that shoots me in the foot. Instead, if I say "I *will* stick to my program," that seems to force me into a more committed state.