How many eggs do you eat a week?

Options
zeejane4
zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
edited May 2019 in Social Groups
I'm binge watching the youtube channel Keto Connection right now. I'm not at keto carb levels, but I'm really enjoying the videos and have gotten lots of great low carb food tips etc. One thing that's stood out to me though is that the hosts eat a LOT of eggs and that got me thinking about them more. I guess I still have the 'eggs are bad for you' mentality, without even realizing it, because I would never eat more than 2 eggs a day, maybe twice a week? But they're eating 3-4 eggs a day, sometimes more, on a regular basis.

So, curious to know how many eggs you average a day/week? I have a free source of free range, 'happy' chicken eggs and am starting to think I need to up my egg game, lol. It's hard to get over the mental hurdle though!

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I tend to go in phases, where I could eat half a dozen eggs in one sitting and love it, and then swing to want nothing to do with eggs. That said, I've recently started having three raw yolks a day, because they are extremely nutrient dense (https://livingthenourishedlife.com/why-i-eat-raw-egg-yolks-every-day/) and there's evidence that they can noticeably improve eye health. I've also gotten back into an "eat ALL the eggs!" phase and have had 3-4 eggs a couple of days a week in addition to the egg yolks. I've gone through as many as 2-3 dozen per week, by myself.

Say it with me: eggs are NOT bad. Eggs are GOOD. They're another casualty of the diet-heart hypothesis (or "dietary cholesterol is bad for you"), something that has been pretty thoroughly and repeatedly debunked. Dietary cholesterol does not cause heart disease and has very little effect on blood cholesterol levels in most people (hyper-responders see more effect, but the jury's kind of out as to whether that's actually an issue). In fact, cholesterol is necessary for health. It's an important hormone precursor -- in other words, it helps keep your hormones working properly.

One thing that helps with the mental hurdle is to look at the actual science and the nutrition. The Launch Pad (stickied to the top of the group) has a bunch of articles regarding cholesterol. I highly recommend checking them out.

Also, here's another one (though I don't agree with the statements about saturated fat) - https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/are-eggs-risky-for-heart-health
  • zeejane4
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    I tend to go in phases, where I could eat half a dozen eggs in one sitting and love it, and then swing to want nothing to do with eggs. That said, I've recently started having three raw yolks a day, because they are extremely nutrient dense (https://livingthenourishedlife.com/why-i-eat-raw-egg-yolks-every-day/) and there's evidence that they can noticeably improve eye health. I've also gotten back into an "eat ALL the eggs!" phase and have had 3-4 eggs a couple of days a week in addition to the egg yolks. I've gone through as many as 2-3 dozen per week, by myself.

Say it with me: eggs are NOT bad. Eggs are GOOD. They're another casualty of the diet-heart hypothesis (or "dietary cholesterol is bad for you"), something that has been pretty thoroughly and repeatedly debunked. Dietary cholesterol does not cause heart disease and has very little effect on blood cholesterol levels in most people (hyper-responders see more effect, but the jury's kind of out as to whether that's actually an issue). In fact, cholesterol is necessary for health. It's an important hormone precursor -- in other words, it helps keep your hormones working properly.

One thing that helps with the mental hurdle is to look at the actual science and the nutrition. The Launch Pad (stickied to the top of the group) has a bunch of articles regarding cholesterol. I highly recommend checking them out.

Also, here's another one (though I don't agree with the statements about saturated fat) - https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-health/are-eggs-risky-for-heart-health

Wow, this is really interesting-I have pretty crappy eyes (my rx is in the -14 range, I'm 40yrs old and have early onset cataracts forming, and due to family history I'm at high risk for macular degeneration). I'll check out the link, thanks!!
  • GammieLCHF
    GammieLCHF Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I’m so sick of eggs I can barely stomach one alone. But I add them in a lot of things like the low carb popovers I make (really eggy bread) and sautéed spinach or Swiss chard with egg as a binder with lots of cheese.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I love eggs! I definitely eat anywhere from 2-6 a day.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    I eat about a dozen a week - sometimes more. I rarely have more than 15 or 16.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I eat two eggs most days; occasionally, I'll have three.
  • KetoZandra
    KetoZandra Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    7 whole eggs and 7 egg whites a week (breakfast scramble).
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I go thru phases, too. Sometimes we eat a couple dozen free range local eggs a week, and sometimes it takes us a couple weeks to use up a dozen. Every once in a while I get a craving for pickled eggs and then I can eat 4-6 a day. They are great for quick dinners when you didn't thaw anything out. Or when your budget is low near the end of a payday cycle, lol.
  • Tubbytucka
    Tubbytucka Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Weekdays I have 3 a day in an omelette, a couple fried or poached at the weekends, and half a dozen in a couple of lo-carb loaves I make every week, so around 24 a week.
  • zeejane4
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the input, I'm definitely going to try and make them a bigger part of my menu :)
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a dozen or more whole eggs a week plus a carton or 2 of egg whites.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I am not particularly low carb (I'm slow carb). I go through phases too. Probably 10 eggs a week when I'm in an egg phase.
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Wow lol, we didn't realize people ate so many eggs! We don't dislike em, just like other things way more. So our average 'eggs per week' is like, zero. Only time we get eggs is when we meet a friend at a breakfast restaurant.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    It depends. Right now I'm practicing IF and not eating breakfast, so not many. BUT, if I'm doing more of a 3 meals a day plan, I'll easily eat 2 eggs a day every day, and sometimes more.

I love eggs, and we get ours from our friend so I know exactly how the chickens are being treated and what kind of diet they are being fed. If I do buy eggs, I always buy organic, free range, hormone and antibiotic free, and soy free from my local farm or pet store. I believe that properly sourced eggs are an outstanding food source.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Depends for me too. I had 3 this morning because I woke up hungry and they were about the only thing in the house. I may not eat another egg for a month or more.

I think eggs are nutritious but I can't quite wrap my head around the industry practices as I understand them to be. :/
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast, but frequently do eggs for lunch or dinner...I would say I average about a dozen most weeks.
  • zeejane4
    edited May 2019
    Options
    It depends. Right now I'm practicing IF and not eating breakfast, so not many. BUT, if I'm doing more of a 3 meals a day plan, I'll easily eat 2 eggs a day every day, and sometimes more.

I love eggs, and we get ours from our friend so I know exactly how the chickens are being treated and what kind of diet they are being fed. If I do buy eggs, I always buy organic, free range, hormone and antibiotic free, and soy free from my local farm or pet store. I believe that properly sourced eggs are an outstanding food source.

The Keto Connection people ate them a lot at supper time and did crazy things like scramble them with ground beef-never in a million years would I have thought to do this, but it actually looks pretty good (with all sorts of seasonings). I've always thought of eggs as a morning thing, unless it was hard-boiled in a salad, but now I'm reconsidering :)
  • zeejane4
    edited May 2019
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    Depends for me too. I had 3 this morning because I woke up hungry and they were about the only thing in the house. I may not eat another egg for a month or more.

I think eggs are nutritious but I can't quite wrap my head around the industry practices as I understand them to be. :/

I'm fortunate that my in-laws have 'pet' chickens that roam around their yard and field, and are supplemented with organic feed. Right now they live about 10 minute drive but they're building a house that's a 5 minute walk from my house, so soon it will be like me having my own chickens, without actually having to do any of the work, LOL :)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I do lots of IFing but still do brunch with DH, I have two eggs then, but they get used in recipes daily. Keto breads, sauces, salad dressings, and the occasional cheesecake. Between us we go through a carton of 18 and a container of egg whites only. So I'm sure I am still getting at least 3 or more daily.

If I had your egg supply I would be eating more omelettes doing deviled eggs daily. Go for it. Eggs are your friend.