Hanging on to weight!

Options
ElizabethJCW
ElizabethJCW Posts: 1 Member
I would like to lose about 15 lbs to bring me to an ideal weight. I have been carefully tracking my 1300 calorie per day diet for two weeks. I have not lost an ounce! What is happening?? Any wisdom or suggestions would be welcome. I am female, 68 years old, moderately active.Busy with young grandchildren, prepare most family meals. No sugar intake except in fruit.

Replies

• lawmomathome
    lawmomathome Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I also have about 15-20 lbs to lose and have been on mfp for about 3 weeks. Up until about 5 years ago (my late 40's) I always needed to be careful but when my weight crept up I could get it off with a little extra effort. Now I can't seem to make the scale budge. The last 3 weeks I have been trying to walk 6 days a week and I have seen a little movement. I think the older one gets the harder it is to lose. When I went in for my annual dr's visit I spoke with her about it and what she said is "make it count". Basically, if you only have a small window of time to exercise the best thing to do is calisthenics or light weight lifting because you are building muscle and even at rest muscle burns more calories than fat. So, that is my next addition to the battle but since time is short I think I will try my dad's Royal Canadian Air Force exercises which only take 11 mins a day.

All this is to say, maybe, although you are active with your grandchildren, you need that little extra boost of focused exercise.
  • cayenne_007
    cayenne_007 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Welcome to my world! I haven't had a huge amount to lose, but it's been a fight for every tiny bit. I've never really had to work at it much - my clothes would get snug and I'd back off the food for a bit...but this time around it's been different. I do think it's much more difficult to lose anything when you don't have a lot to lose. I have one guy in my office that's been on a diet and it's so discouraging when he tells me how much he loses a week compared to my tiny amounts - but he's really large. I'd keep on working at it and see where I was after a month, I didn't lose anything the first 10 days or so....nada. It's been really nice for me to find these groups and start making use of the forums for encouragement. It might take us a bit, but we will get there.
  • RunsWithDogsWI
    RunsWithDogsWI Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree with lawmomathome. Also, she said to "lift light weights" but I would encourage to lift as heavy as you can. It's a myth that lifting heavy weights causes bulk; hormonally, we're just not cut out for bulk. I find the more and heavier I lift in a week (in addition to focused aerobic exercise, not just keeping up with my kid), the easier it is to lose half a pound or so. When women lift, they don't bulk, they just get lean. Female bodybuilders take supplements to get their bodies.
  • RunsWithDogsWI
    RunsWithDogsWI Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    For example, my regular dumbbells I lift with at home on a daily basis are 20#. Not those little 3# or 5# things.
  • lawmomathome
    lawmomathome Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with you RunswithDogWi! I guess I should have said start off with light weights. On and off over my life I have also lifted what most people would consider heavy weights for a woman BUT as much as I hate to admit it, while my muscles can still handle the weight, now that I am over 50 my joints and tendons need to start off slowly and build up. ElizabethJCW said she was 68 so I was thinking along those lines.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    How much fruit?? Fruit has a fair amount of sugar albeit natural. Also what about starches, which your body breaks down in sugars? Hang in there. The last few are always hard to drop.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale?

What is your activity level set to? Lightly active vs sedentary? Maybe you're not burning as many calories as you'd think.