TMI FAIR WARNING PERIOD POST

Options
GammieLCHF
GammieLCHF Posts: 139 Member
So when I’m not on 20 net carbs or less a day I never have a period. Even at 100 carbs a day, I have to force one with birth control pills every few months. But on 20 net carbs I have regular periods. What’s up with that?! I’m also doing IF if that matters, I usually don’t eat from 7pm-around noon. I’m 49, BTW and a hundred pounds overweight... but losing.

Replies

• efrensgirl2015
    efrensgirl2015 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you are very insulin resistive. And anything over 20 net carbs for you causes a negative insulin response and when insulin is too high, it has a negative impact on your hormones....FYI - I am not a Dr. nor do I play one on TV.....just an educated guess based on a lot of reading and my personal experience.
  • GammieLCHF
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Sounds right! Just further confirmation I need to stay at 20 net carbs even tho my primary is against it. She insists it causes stress on my body and constantly pushes me to eat a minimum of 100 carbs a day if I “must do low carb” full of “healthy grains”. I respect my doctor (even tho I think she’s wrong on this aspect) so I tried it her way for six months. 100 carbs a day, sometimes as low as 80 - didn’t lose one red pound. Since I’ve been at 20, I lose at least a pound a week. Some weeks like this week, I lose several. To me, this is more confirmation that my body likes to be on keto. We live in a tiny town and she is the only local doctor available - and she has been our family doc for decades.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    MANY many PCOS and/or Hashi's women find that keto helps them get their cycles back or make them regular. Insulin is a hormone and can have a great affect on all the other hormones in your body. If you keep insulin out of the equation, it often lets your body regulate the other hormones correctly.

Also based on reading scientific studies, personal and family/friend experience and lots and LOTS of reading about it. NAD disclaimer
  • VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaouRuqqEfY - approx 34 minutes.

Dr. Nadia Pateguana discusses her experiences with pregnancy, PCOS, and keto/fasting.
  • KetoZandra
    KetoZandra Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It happened to me too.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Yeah, me too. Was told we'd have better luck being struck by lightening then getting pregnant naturally due to both my pcos and hubby's swimmer issues. Started keto and we've been pregnant 4 times in 5 years, all naturally. This last time ended in an odd traumatic ectopic but I got pregnant thru using birth control and still breastfeeding 2 kids. Before my hcg was even down to zero again, I had already ovulated and started my period.

So TLDR, Be super super over careful on keto if you dont want to get pregnant.
  • GammieLCHF
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaouRuqqEfY - approx 34 minutes.

Dr. Nadia Pateguana discusses her experiences with pregnancy, PCOS, and keto/fasting.

That was fascinating! Thanks! Good thing I’m not still having babies - I’d get pregnant for sure, lol. Mom of five (last two on two types of birth control, never missed!)