Best way to limit carbs?

Options
hotshot5
hotshot5 Posts: 4 Member
I’m trying to eat only 17 carbs a day on my keto diet.

Today is day 5 on the diet and I’m at 99 carbs after eating a bowl of split pea soup, a piece of pumpkin pie, and 1/3 cup of pomegranate seeds. Everything else was in a normal carb range. It was these three foods that put me over. I’m just not sure how to make such a radical change in my diet. Do I need to give up foods we frequently eat and like? How do I make changes that are lasting so this works and doesn’t feel like punishment?

Replies

• FarmerCarla
    FarmerCarla Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Keto isn't for everyone. I was okay with giving up the carbs, and I don't think of it as punishment. I have radically changed the things I cook and the things I eat, while modifying my low-carb recipes to include carbs in my husband's portions (pasta, rice, baked sweet potatoes). I stay away from fruits and sweets, passing up the sweets, chips, and crackers in my husband's snack stash. Occasionally, I have to yell "No!" at myself. :) If I really want something sweet, I have one bite, which keeps me from feeling deprived. There are recipes for low-carb deserts using natural sweeteners, but I'm more likely to have one dark chocolate Hershey kiss or savor one or two of my husband's M&Ms. A couple of days ago, I discovered Breyers Delights Vanilla Bean ice cream. I found 40g is satisfying, and that's less than 1/2 the 89g serving size, but still 10g carbs, so not something I'll eat every day. I use liquid stevia in my hot and iced teas, and I drink stevia-sweetened Zevia sodas.

You can find lots of keto and other low-carb recipes if you search online. Since I stay full on the foods I eat, I adjusted to low carbs pretty quickly. My favorite breakfast is an egg scramble with coconut oil and spinach, topped with shredded cheddar cheese. That holds me for several hours. You may have to be creative when eating out and request substitutions or eat the insides of sandwiches and leave the bread behind. One of my favorite fast-food meals is tacos that I dump out of the shells.
    I would give your keto experiment a few more days, but if you don't adjust, go back to just counting calories and eating healthy foods. There are other ways to lose weight. Find what works for you and your lifestyle. Wishing you success on this journey!

• bdgfn
    bdgfn Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    Wow, 17g carbs is pretty radical, especially if you are just starting out...imho. I try to limit myself to 20g carbs per day, but am okay with using Net Carbs (Total Carbs - Fiber). I am not always able to keep below 20g per day, but as long as I don't go too overboard, I'm okay with that. Many keto plans allow up to 50g of Carbs per day, some even more than that. I think it is just as important, if not moreso, to make sure you do not go over on your protein. Excess protein turns to sugar, and surefire keto-killer. This lifestyle is not easy by any means. Best of luck to you.
  • tamilove1
    tamilove1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Confused...Pat says you should only be under 20 g. Where does the net carbs come in? Usually on my fitness pal it does not register net carbs. I will probably be starting this new diet next week but I really just want to look more into it before I decide