SIBO vs. IBS?

Options
loserviolet
loserviolet Posts: 15 Member
I was diagnosed with IBS almost two years ago and put on the FODMAP diet. While this diet helps (usually) I sometimes have reactions to things that I should NOT have a reaction to (like a full day of diarrhea after eating an all natural and dairy free ice cream bar!). It recently came to my attention that there is another condition called SIBO that, according to my research, can be the ACTUAL problem in up to 85% of people who have IBS! I am finding a TON of conflicting information on treatments and diets for this condition, and wondered if anyone had spoken to a doctor about this.

I am 5'8", I weigh (as of this morning) 198.8lbs, and I have been eating appr. 1800 calories a day except on weekends when I allow myself a little fun. However, I do keep track and eat no more than maintenance calories on these days. I am on the low FODMAP diet, like I said, and I have tried EVERYTHING (it feels like, anyway) and I simply cannot lose weight or feel better all the time. Add to that, I am tired ALL THE TIME, no matter how much I sleep or rest. I take a vitamin B complex supplement which does help some. I have just started doing the INSANITY workouts again (doing these five days a week for five weeks straight led to no weight loss and no better-fitting clothes), but I don't have my hopes up for weight loss yet. I wonder if SIBO may be my problem.

SO.... bottom line... what do you know about this condition? Have you spoken to a doctor who recommended anything? What did they say about diet changes? Is it just SUGAR I should avoid, or most all carbohydrates?! I am at my wits end and am starting to spiral down towards depression-like feeling all the time due to the fact that I am OBESE again. I lost 50lbs once before I started having tummy problems, and doing the same things I did then is NOT working this time. PLEASE HELP!!! :(

Replies

• sukifr
    sukifr Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Hi there

Sorry you are suffering so much. I've just been reading up about SIBO and came across this article

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-11020/10-signs-you-have-small-intestinal-bacterial-overgrowth-sibo.html

It says that an antibiotic might help - so maybe worth a try?

I'm really new to trying FODMAP (just finished my first week) and although I feel a heck of a lot better than I did, I think I've a long way to go to feeling totally right.

Sometimes I think with food it is trial and error - try cutting out/reducing sugar for a couple of weeks to see if it makes a difference, then try the same with carbs. I believe what works for one person doesn't necessarily follow for another and you will have to find what works for you.
    And maybe the weekend 'fun' you say, might actually be undoing all the good you did during the week, another way would be to reduce you calories during the week by 100-200 each day, then if you do have fun and splurge at the weekend, your weekly calories will work out the same, and the damage is limited.

As for tiredness, I take Magnesium Supplements as I feel they help me with energy etc

Great doing the Insanity workout - keep it up!
  • patsypooter
    patsypooter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    *holy crap sorry this is so long, felt like typing this up before i head to bed. Hope it makes sense I'm tired*

I've had problems with chronic diarhea alternating with constipation for my entire life. I probably don't need to tell you guys how terrible that is. For a very very very long time I didn't even know that what was going on with my bowels wasn't normal. I was sick my whole life, strep infections one after the other and my doctors threw so many antibiotics at me. I have yellow teeth from the tetracycline.It turns out I had so many infections and was so sick all the time because I had an allergy to the milk I was drinking on a daily basis. Years later I went on a strict elimination diet to try to fight my rheumatioid arthritis without meds and it was quickly apparent that milk was the problem, along with some other foods. I eliminated those from my diet and felt much better. My bad stomach never fully went away but it didn't start to get really bad until I went on a low carb diet and became very constipated. It's like that screwed up my insides or something because ever since then I've had problems. Terrible pains that were so alarming that I actually ended up in the ER demanding they figure out what's wrong. It took a very long time to even get an IBS diagnosis and with the diagnosis came confusion. What the hell is IBS and what can I do about it? I knew I would get no help from the medical community so I really put myself wholeheartedly into finding a natural cure for this. My only other option was Motilum or Antidepressants (my doctor claims they help IBS.) Not wanting to live a life dependent on meds I've been on a mission to heal myself through food.

So far? I'm thrilled. Over the moon. So thankful. It took a long time and a lot of self discipline but in the end, my desire to feel normal every day won out. I've figured out a diet that works and as long as I stick to it I am fine. Now, I do get IBS symptoms during hormonal changes and experience noticeable constipation and then relief. There is a definite cycle that is going to be there regardless of what I eat. The difference is my symptoms have gone from 10/10 t0 1/10. Manageable.

The pain of IBS/SIBO is hard to explain. People think we are exaggerating or looking for attention. When people hear IBS they think "oh you have to poo a lot, thats not so bad". IBS is so much more than that. Nights that I couldn't fall asleep because whichever way I lay down I would be uncomfortable from the pressure in my gut. The random pains that feel like a knife in your gut. The nausea. The never ending pressure and discomfort. It was terrible. It's hard to bring yourself out of that pain and live a normal life.

What has worked for me is eating nothing but dark leafy greens and certain veggies (you'll find which ones work for you). Eggs, white meat (fish and poultry), butter, olive oil, coconut oil, nuts, white potatoes and white rice. I haven't tested brown rice because I am trying to stay low carb for the time being but I have tested white potatoes frequently and as long as I don't eat them too often I experience no problems. I believe oatmeal is fine as well but without being able to consume sugar, I have no desire to eat oatmeal so havent tested it out. I love potatoes so I'm SO EXCITED that I can eat them with no problem. I'm able to eat french fries and chips sometmes. woo hoo! I've had to cut out most dairy, all sugar, all gluten and all processed foods but I am not bored of my food. My taste buds have honestly changed. You really appreciate the taste of butter and green beans and spring onions. Balsamic vinegar, butter and zuchinni. Things that I would have never liked before start tasting like heaven.

I can only say what worked for me, I've done this without the help of my doctor. My doctor is aware of my strict diet but besides testing me to check my levels are all ok, he doesnt recommend or do **** all.

**** the doctors. Your health and your life is in no one else's hands but yours. The doctors don't care, at least none that I've dealt with have.

I feel like a lot of people use bandaids to deal with IBS and I think that is so unhealthy. If our bodies are screaming at us we need to listen. As addictive as food is, I would rather be alive. I think that's what it comes down to with me, I know that what I'm putting into my body is poison and it has to stop. Just because everyone else eats a certain way doesn't mean that way of eating is right for me. (or right for any of us!)

It's hard as hell to transition to eating dairy/gluten/sugar free but ladies, I want to tell you that it's worth it. It's not something that happens overnight and if it takes months, hell if it takes years to give it all up, that's fine. Doesn't matter how long it takes or how many slip ups you have on the way, all that matters is one day you will have this figured out.
  • loserviolet
    loserviolet Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi there

Sorry you are suffering so much. I've just been reading up about SIBO and came across this article

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-11020/10-signs-you-have-small-intestinal-bacterial-overgrowth-sibo.html

It says that an antibiotic might help - so maybe worth a try?

I'm really new to trying FODMAP (just finished my first week) and although I feel a heck of a lot better than I did, I think I've a long way to go to feeling totally right.

Sometimes I think with food it is trial and error - try cutting out/reducing sugar for a couple of weeks to see if it makes a difference, then try the same with carbs. I believe what works for one person doesn't necessarily follow for another and you will have to find what works for you.
    And maybe the weekend 'fun' you say, might actually be undoing all the good you did during the week, another way would be to reduce you calories during the week by 100-200 each day, then if you do have fun and splurge at the weekend, your weekly calories will work out the same, and the damage is limited.

As for tiredness, I take Magnesium Supplements as I feel they help me with energy etc

Great doing the Insanity workout - keep it up!

Thank you soo much for those articles. Eating at 1800 calories a day is 300 calories LESS a day than MFP says I should eat to lose one pound a week. So, even if I eat an extra 1500 calories on the weekends (which, like I said, doesn't happen), I should be fine and losing at least a HALF a pound a week right? well... it really isn't so easy for me! Right now, I think I will try and cut out sugar and most carbs. I'm having trouble figuring out what to eat... but I will get there.

patsypooter-- (sorry I didn't quote but that was QUITE the speech! :P)
    I completely agree with you. My brother in law has IBS and he went to the emergency room on several occasions because his pain was so bad. I didn't get there, but before all this.... well, I simply had NO idea. Then I spent every waking moment for an entire week (after breakfast- I was fine before I ate) literally feeling like I was going to vomit. I would get pain so bad it LITERALLY felt like someone was stabbing me in my side. Not to mention the migraines that would get worse and worse until I vomited and then would instantly be better, the bloating to the point where my work uniform didn't fit, the stinky gas, the tiredness, the dermatitis on my scalp, the canker sores, the list goes ON AND ON. I have asked several questions in these forums and people always say, it doesn't matter WHAT you eat to lose weight, only how much of it. BULL!!!! If you have an issue like this, it doesn't work that way. And I fully believe that once my actual problem (whatever that may be) is solved, I will lose weight no problemo. I didn't have an issue last time I lost, but that was three years before all of my stomach problems started. My husband wants me to go to a doctor, but I think it is a waste of time and money. No one ever even mentioned SIBO. They put me on Omeprazole (which didn't help much- just got rid of the heartburn), did a TON of tests (it really is quite humiliating to hand someone a bag full of your poop that happens to still be WARM), and let me suffer. The fodmap diet helps quite a bit, but sometimes not at all. I wish people would stop judging me (and most other people on here for that matter) and just be supportive for crying out loud! I eat healthier than ANYONE I know personally, except for my best friend who eats just like me. I shop at a food co-op for crying out loud, and all of my food is all-natural and doesn't have a bunch of artificial junk in it. It is not fair that people can just eat freaking McDonalds and Subway and lose weight when I plan my meals around chicken and brown rice and measure every bite and I can't get anywhere!! And it's all because my stomach hates food.

So, like I said before, I am now going on a strict no sugar and no grain diet for at least two weeks while taking colloidal silver (a natural antibiotic), aloe vera juice, peppermint capsules, vitamin B complex, magnesium, AND a probiotic.

Thank you BOTH soosososooo much for being supportive and actually trying to help. I feel like that is rare and I really appreciate it!
  • patsypooter
    patsypooter Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    If you're still having problems, you're still eating something that doesn't agree with you. I hope you find relief soon! I know it will happen for you. Two weeks is an excellent goal! I bet you'll end up feeling great and will end up going months gluten and sugar free. :)

If you don't mind loserviolet, I'll keep an eye on your diaries and comment when I notice something you're eating that has given me problems. I can't tell you how happy I am to share my experiences with other people! This is a very lonely venture to take, I've had no one to talk to about this (besides my fiance, bless his patient soul) so I'm just relieved to be talking with people who are also willing to take the plunge and are trying to control their IBS with diet.

Also, I can't handle raw veggies. They must be cooked. I've read that a lot of people with IBS/SIBO say the same thing. So try to at least steam your veggies, it might be easier on your tummy.
  • 100poundproject
    100poundproject Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I feel you. Last year I went through three months of diarrhea and was given Nyastatin. It did the job. I had Candida. But later in the year had bad issues with bloat and went on Flagyl which worked because I had SIBO. But when I have a flare up, its awful. I can't really pinpoint anything. I can't do any dairy. I know that. But I can actually tolerate some bread so I have some but I can't tolerate butter or high amounts of oils. Sugar seems to trigger issues for me too. I've also had issues with eggs, hemp, soy, nuts high fat meats, rice white and brown, most grains too, cereal, high amounts of potato, high amounts of corn, the list goes on and on. But taking Flagyl will reset my bowels until the next problem. Weight loss has been tough for me too. I need to drop over 100 lbs.
  • kimemeki
    kimemeki Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with IBS almost two years ago and put on the FODMAP diet. While this diet helps (usually) I sometimes have reactions to things that I should NOT have a reaction to (like a full day of diarrhea after eating an all natural and dairy free ice cream bar!). It recently came to my attention that there is another condition called SIBO that, according to my research, can be the ACTUAL problem in up to 85% of people who have IBS! I am finding a TON of conflicting information on treatments and diets for this condition, and wondered if anyone had spoken to a doctor about this.

I am 5'8", I weigh (as of this morning) 198.8lbs, and I have been eating appr. 1800 calories a day except on weekends when I allow myself a little fun. However, I do keep track and eat no more than maintenance calories on these days. I am on the low FODMAP diet, like I said, and I have tried EVERYTHING (it feels like, anyway) and I simply cannot lose weight or feel better all the time. Add to that, I am tired ALL THE TIME, no matter how much I sleep or rest. I take a vitamin B complex supplement which does help some. I have just started doing the INSANITY workouts again (doing these five days a week for five weeks straight led to no weight loss and no better-fitting clothes), but I don't have my hopes up for weight loss yet. I wonder if SIBO may be my problem.

SO.... bottom line... what do you know about this condition? Have you spoken to a doctor who recommended anything? What did they say about diet changes? Is it just SUGAR I should avoid, or most all carbohydrates?! I am at my wits end and am starting to spiral down towards depression-like feeling all the time due to the fact that I am OBESE again. I lost 50lbs once before I started having tummy problems, and doing the same things I did then is NOT working this time. PLEASE HELP!!! :(

Looks like it has been quite a few years since you posted this. Wondering if you have had any success with the collodial silver? Sometimes probiotics can be an issue with SIBO as well. Were you ever tested for SIBO?