Keto working great, but vacation coming up soon need advice

Options
eponine1976
eponine1976 Posts: 143 Member
I have been doing Keto for 5weeks and I have lost over 10 lbs and my endocrinologist has even taken me off my diabetes medicine because my blood sugars are amazing, even now that I’m not taking anything. However in 2 weeks I’m going on vacation and I want advice on how much I can bend the rules without kicking myself out of Keto. Ive been aiming for 20 net carbs per day and that is working great but on vacations I usually allow myself treats that I don’t normally eat. Like a pina colada or fudge or ice cram. I’m not saying I’m going to pig out all week, at regular meal times I’m going to stick to low carb, but I would like to indulge on a few treats if I can do it without throwing myself out of keto

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm not diabetic, so not sure how much this applies to you...I do use keto to control my migraines, so based on my own reactions, here is what I have found...

The longer I am on keto, the more resilient my body has become to eating carbs...now at almost 2 years in, I can have 100-200g of carbs for 5+ days before having a return of symptoms. At the 5 week mark even one day, even one meal, of high carb would land me with a migraine. 5 weeks is really still adaptation phase.

Activity level is key to processing carbs, if you are more active you can tolerate a higher carb level and remain in ketosis.

When I'm trying to stay keto but bend the rules some I aim for eating carbs early in the day (like lunch time) and keeping them out later in the day, plus I limit myself to 45 min of carb intake for the day, so if I have an ice cream after lunch, then whatever I don't finish in that 45 min window goes in the trash.

I don't mix alcohol and sugar - for me this is a disaster and I have massive hangovers. I almost never had a hangover before keto, but I can promise you, if I have a sweet alcoholic drink, even if it's just one or two, I will be super sick the next day. I'm fine with semi-sweet wines, or whiskey, or low carb beer. I have to be careful with ciders or sweet wines and I just avoid sweet mixed drinks entirely because they just totally send my hypoglycemia reeling the next day.

Good luck!!!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Thank you both. I am in this for the long haul because I feel a lot better overall since starting this. I'll take your advice and avoid the treats. I don't want to screw up a good thing i have going

If you want to feel like you are having a 'drink' while friends are having theirs - make a 'Mockito' with seltzer water, fresh muddled mint, a bit of lime juice, and a sweetner of choice like stevia drops. I also like Nesfrutta Pineapple Coconut water drops in seltzer water for a 'Pina Colada' flavour. If you decide to do alcohol go for the low carb stuff like the following: https://dietdoctor.com/low-carb/alcohol
    I'd stick as close as you can to your healthy carb level while on vacation, that's my personal choice though.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    I am diabetic and use the diet to control my BG. I have gotten off meds, etc. When I go on vacation, I count carbs only, and keep them under 20 net. I don't worry so much about the macros, although I do track them.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Come to think of it, Crystal Light has a whole line of "mocktails" which are zero carb and probably mix great with whatever liquor you like:
    663nettkkwgl.jpg
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Come to think of it, Crystal Light has a whole line of "mocktails" which are zero carb and probably mix great with whatever liquor you like:
    663nettkkwgl.jpg

You just made my day!!