Regarding shiritaki noodles

Options
Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
I know these noodles are a "love em or hate em" food.
But for those of you who like them, I recently discovered that if you crack an egg into the skillet while you're dry frying them, the egg sticks to them, and any and all sauces you add stick better too. My favorite is: noodles, 1 egg, ham or prosciutto, spinach, a few tiny tomatoes, and pesto. The pesto sticks to the noodles so much better with egg on them. cheers

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I may have to try that!!!
  • GammieLCHF
    GammieLCHF Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    But for those of you who like them, I recently discovered that if you crack an egg into the skillet while you're dry frying them, the egg sticks to them, and any and all sauces you add stick better too. My favorite is: noodles, 1 egg, ham or prosciutto, spinach, a few tiny tomatoes, and pesto. The pesto sticks to the noodles so much better with egg on them. cheers

Good to know, I just ordered a new kind of these on a trial mail membership thing.

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Mmmm. YES! I always had trouble with the pesto not sticking properly to the 'pasta.' That's why I only did pesto with the Explore Asian edamame pasta. This will give me another choice. Thx
  • AbbieOffman
    AbbieOffman Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Not true noodles, but I had Zeroodles fried 'Rice' lastnight. Was yummy and very filling.
  • GammieLCHF
    Options

Making this tonight. I’ll post my review! ;)
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    How were they, @GammieLCHF?
  • GammieLCHF
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    How were they, @GammieLCHF?

We had something else instead. I’ll make it soon.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    Good to know, thank you! I do like them but don't often get around to cooking them. (There's a package of them in my produce drawer right now that's been there for a while, now that I think of it!)
  • taylok23
    taylok23 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I like to use these in either a lo mein or Singapore noodle dish. I dry fry them after rinsing to remove any lingering smell.
  • GammieLCHF
    Options
    rufuvhy54ikt.jpeg
    Finally made them. Sautéed in ground beef fat with an egg, then added cooked beef, a teensy bit of tomato sauce and some Parmesan cheese. They were ok, but I can’t get over the gelatinous mouth feel. Don’t think I’ll make them again. I’ll see if hubs likes them cause I have another package.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    @GammieLCHF I definitely think they work better for Asian-style dishes than more Italian/pasta-style, if you want to give them another shot.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,711 Member
    Options
    I've looked and have never seen them in the grocery store. They're refrigerated right?
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    The ones I buy are not refrigerated. Usually with the international foods in my supermarket.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    I've looked and have never seen them in the grocery store. They're refrigerated right?

I've tried a brand called Pasta Zero and they are in the refrigerated section. Though I'm sure stores can be different on their planograms, every store I shop in (that carries the Pasta Zero brand) has them in their refrigerated produce section in the same general vicinity as tofu, veggie hot dogs, vegan cheese, etc.
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    https://cookingontheweekends.com/chicken-shirataki-noodle-recipe/ This is similar to how I would use it. I also like cooking in Dashi (https://lowcarbingasian.com/japanese-chicken-udon-with-shirataki-noodles/) Really, google it! So many delish ways to indulge in this amazing no cal noodles.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    I prefer them as rice. Works with all my Asian dishes along with Mexican ones. I prefer just doing zoodles to the thicker noodles. They are perfect for all the Italian dishes we make.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Pasta Zero at two area WalMarts is right next to the Tofu. No one at WM has ever heard of Pasta Zero but can walk you right to the tofu. :)

I do the typical male prep. 1. Get the bowl I am going to eat out of and fill it with hot tap water and leave it run slow. 2. Toss in a sealed bag of Pasta Zero from the frig. Put 8 oz of On The Border Mild Chunky Salsa in the microwave for 71 seconds so it ends up at the door where I put it in the microwave. 3. While it is cooking I slit the warm bag halfway across the top and pour out the water then refill with hot tap water and drain twice. 4. I dump the hot water out of the bowl and rip open the bag of Pasta Zero and dump it as one clump into the bowl I am going to eat it out of. 5. With a knife and fork I cut it both ways so it is all little cubes. 6. Dump salsa on top and stir. 7. Dive in face first and ENJOY. 8. Rinse off everything and stick in back into the dishwasher until hungry for it again.