Daily Caloric Consumption

Options
cayenne_007
cayenne_007 Posts: 668 Member
Just curious about what everyone that's having success is using as a goal? I'm 42, current weight 145, high weight 155 and goal of 133. I've been sticking under the suggested 1200 for a few weeks and seem to be stuck at 145/146. I'm moderately active - I don't go to the gym, but spend most of my time outdoors when I'm not at work. I do walk 3-4 days a week on my lunch break, 2.75 miles. I get in LOTS of steps when I'm home - gardening, working with the horses, etc. Thoughts?

Replies

• minimaljen
    minimaljen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This sounds kind of crazy, but maybe you need to eat a few more calories? Sometimes when we cut calories too drastically, our bodies go into 'starvation mode' and try to hold onto to every pound. It sounds like you are active, so I don't know if adding anymore exercise is necessary. Another thing I notice is that I'm very sensitive to sodium; when I eat too much, my weight won't budge! Just some random thoughts - hope they help!
  • cayenne_007
    Options
    Thank you both - I'm not on here much on the weekends. I've recalculating it and think maybe the MFP guidelines aren't enough for what my body needs. I loosened up a bit last week (I didn't go crazy, but ate more than 1200 cal a few days) - no neg effects and I'm down a bit today. :smiley:
  • snuff15ee
    snuff15ee Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    This is a link to a great video on BMR and TDEE discussion - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bYEVIqBEW4. If you find yourself in a plateau this is a great article - https://bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html/
  • otterbx
    otterbx Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Just curious about what everyone that's having success is using as a goal? I'm 42, current weight 145, high weight 155 and goal of 133. I've been sticking under the suggested 1200 for a few weeks and seem to be stuck at 145/146. I'm moderately active - I don't go to the gym, but spend most of my time outdoors when I'm not at work. I do walk 3-4 days a week on my lunch break, 2.75 miles. I get in LOTS of steps when I'm home - gardening, working with the horses, etc. Thoughts?

Maybe sustained cardio, jogging or running for 20 min three times a week in addition to your moderate outdoor activities.

• weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Did the math mentioned above. Came to 1658. That's 458 more calories. I think I can manage that ;) I been extra active with good weather. I eat over 1200 but never 1600. I will have to see how it goes💪👍🤞
  • cayenne_007
    Options
    otterbx wrote: »

Maybe sustained cardio, jogging or running for 20 min three times a week in addition to your moderate outdoor activities.

So ya'll would probably die laughing at me - but I speedwalk all over the place when I'm home. Unfortunately - my knees absolutely will not put up with jogging or running (I wish).

I'm considering buying a bike - lots of gravel country roads & no traffic - I think I would enjoy that.
  • otterbx
    otterbx Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    otterbx wrote: »

So ya'll would probably die laughing at me - but I speedwalk all over the place when I'm home. Unfortunately - my knees absolutely will not put up with jogging or running (I wish).

I'm considering buying a bike - lots of gravel country roads & no traffic - I think I would enjoy that.

Biking is great - less strain on feet and knees. Swimming...I never got into that as exercise but hear it’s another good one. .
  • snuff15ee
    snuff15ee Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm an avid cyclist on both road and mountain. I prefer mountain because I like bombing downhill, taking jumps and drops, and tackling obstacles. I will hop on my road bike when I can't get to the trails. It sucks when I go a week without riding. I would definitely consider getting a bike.
  • lwarnke1978
    lwarnke1978 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing the Body Beast program (weight lifting). So my caloric consumption will be quite different than most people and will vary bc of my fibromyalgia depending on if I can do the workout for the day.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,975 Member
    Options
    If my workouts are consistent like they should be, I use an IIFYM calculator and find it to be pretty accurate.

Currently - 5'7", F, 41, CW 149, very low activity desk job. 2-3 evenings a week I'm doing something active (martial art or riding the horses), and weekends are pretty active (if I'm not at the track, then I'm at my martial art one day, pedal biking the other day, and riding the horses both days).

Current workouts are 5 days/week, total time averages 1.5 hours (15-30 min cardio, 60-75 min weight lifting, give or take on any given day).

Daily step average per my MiFit is around 5500, but I'm not wearing that during the martial arts classes.

Currently eating ~1600-1900 kcal/day and losing at .5-.75 lb/week average as long as I stick to that range. Less activity means I need to trim back to the low end of that range. More activity I can eat at the higher end.

GW is in the 128-132 (ish) range, will need to evaluate as I get closer, but right now that still seems about right.
  • cayenne_007
    Options
    If my workouts are consistent like they should be, I use an IIFYM calculator and find it to be pretty accurate.

Currently - 5'7", F, 41, CW 149, very low activity desk job. 2-3 evenings a week I'm doing something active (martial art or riding the horses), and weekends are pretty active (if I'm not at the track, then I'm at my martial art one day, pedal biking the other day, and riding the horses both days).

Current workouts are 5 days/week, total time averages 1.5 hours (15-30 min cardio, 60-75 min weight lifting, give or take on any given day).

Daily step average per my MiFit is around 5500, but I'm not wearing that during the martial arts classes.

Currently eating ~1600-1900 kcal/day and losing at .5-.75 lb/week average as long as I stick to that range. Less activity means I need to trim back to the low end of that range. More activity I can eat at the higher end.

GW is in the 128-132 (ish) range, will need to evaluate as I get closer, but right now that still seems about right.

This is really helpful - we're almost the exact same size.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I’m 5’4 less active due to surgeries for 3 months straight in a 2nd peri menopause (Csection was post menopause got pregnant naturally so everything didn’t go well...but perfectly healthy boy out of it so worth it 100%) . I only walk indoors starting to occasionally chase soccer ball with a slow 2yr old so just getting used to uneven ground again (Hubby spent hours leveling it out before I did tho).
    Rest of the time I’m not that active some days no activity if struggling (scar tissue issues don’t want a 3rd surgery for it cause it seems to make more in new spots). MFP has me at 1200cal until I get more active. If your taller way less than me it should show you at a higher calorie I would think.

Started at 195cal
    Now 150-153 cal fluctuations (45lb loss)
    I’m supposed to weigh less than this still by what the online calculator y Doctors have told me. Ignore the extreme weight loss my Doctor explained it was for Doctor monitoring closely for certain surgeries stuff like that.

https://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

This hasOther types of calculators too just stroll down click them. It shows you at a normal BMI. So double check to see where you should be or not. My Mom was 6ft her skinny weight was more than my overweight even tho we’d be the same weight awhile back. Shows my BMI as overweight.

Do some research to find your perfect weight one person may be told weight a certain amount but feels sick gains 5-10lbs feels great at that weight. I carry 130lbs well it shows my ideal weight for my size to be 120-129.1lbs I already know I feel healthier at 130lbs. So that’s my goal weight to be in the 130’s

I naturally have big hips so not doing the one calculator because I can put my weight as 90lbs but because it has me enter my huge hips it things my fat is too high lol.