Considering Keto

Options
msgreek
msgreek Posts: 3 Member
I need to lose 35 lbs and 10+% fat. Over past 5 weeks I have been training very hard and doing a Medeterrian diet. I only lost 1.7% fat and down 5 lbs. I'm starting to get depressed and desperate. Don't know if i should blame my 60+ age. I heard major issue with keto is gaining the weight back if and when I go back to a Medeterrian diet life style. You thoughts pleeezzzz.

Replies

• zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I can’t comment on specifically going to Mediterranean, but I would _guess_ as long as you are careful with your carbs, it will still be ok.
    And avoid trigger foods/carbs that end up with the entire bag/loaf/megasize gone. Or figure out how to safely have them around (which Keto should hopefully help with)

As with all things diet/WoE, defined as the food you eat, ymmv & your n=1 to be successful is yours. Flexibility in rules is key to making it work for _you_
  • msgreek
    msgreek Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    And sorry for the Siri Mediterranean misspell 😁. Thanks for the info. I started Keto today. Will give it 2 weeks before doing a complete body analysis at my gym.
  • zanyterp
    zanyterp Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    good luck!
  • Losingweightforgood2019
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    msgreek wrote: »
    I heard major issue with keto is gaining the weight back if and when I go back to a Medeterrian diet life style.

And if you stop calorie counting/the Mediterranean diet and go back to eating super sized ice creams and low-quality food, you're going to gain weight back, too.

Why does it seem like low carb/keto is the only WOE that gets criticized for what happens when you no longer comply with it?

The simple fact of the matter is that what got you sick and fat the first time will make you sick and fat again if you go back to it. This isn't unique to keto, and it's not keto's fault if you gain weight while following {insert literally any other diet here}.

The best diet is the one that a) fulfills your nutrient needs and b) you can stick to pretty much indefinitely.

Diet-as-a-verb (ie - "I'm dieting to lose weight so I can eat what I want after I'm done") doesn't work. It literally has something like a 90% failure rate, regardless of what that diet is.

Diet-as-a-noun (ie - "the black bear's diet consists of meat, fish, berries, and whatever scraps it finds"; aka - Way Of Eating) is more likely to stick, because you recognize that you're in it for the long haul. It's not just to lose X amount of weight, but to be your healthiest. You can't be your healthiest if you spend your life going on and off "diets" without making any actual long-term changes.

If you struggle to lose or maintain your weight or otherwise be the healthiest you can be on a Mediterranean diet, why would you go back to it?

Well said 👏
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    msgreek wrote: »
    I heard major issue with keto is gaining the weight back if and when I go back to a Medeterrian diet life style.

And if you stop calorie counting/the Mediterranean diet and go back to eating super sized ice creams and low-quality food, you're going to gain weight back, too.

Why does it seem like low carb/keto is the only WOE that gets criticized for what happens when you no longer comply with it?

The simple fact of the matter is that what got you sick and fat the first time will make you sick and fat again if you go back to it. This isn't unique to keto, and it's not keto's fault if you gain weight while following {insert literally any other diet here}.

The best diet is the one that a) fulfills your nutrient needs and b) you can stick to pretty much indefinitely.

Diet-as-a-verb (ie - "I'm dieting to lose weight so I can eat what I want after I'm done") doesn't work. It literally has something like a 90% failure rate, regardless of what that diet is.

Diet-as-a-noun (ie - "the black bear's diet consists of meat, fish, berries, and whatever scraps it finds"; aka - Way Of Eating) is more likely to stick, because you recognize that you're in it for the long haul. It's not just to lose X amount of weight, but to be your healthiest. You can't be your healthiest if you spend your life going on and off "diets" without making any actual long-term changes.

If you struggle to lose or maintain your weight or otherwise be the healthiest you can be on a Mediterranean diet, why would you go back to it?

👏👏🤝👍🏼🙌

All of this, and I'll add: you're losing a pound a week already. WELL DONE with that!