Low carb..no cooking no fridge

Options
NeuroticVirgo
NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
Hello. I will be on a 2 week trip, mostly spent hiking or in the car. Our hotels do not have microwaves, fridges, or camp fires. Looking for low carb food ideas that won't need to be cold or cooked?

Everyone else will be eating PB sandwiches, granola bars, pop tarts, etc

So far I have tuna, beef jerky & nuts....not thinking this is going to keep me from those pop tarts during rough times lol

Suggestions wanted. Thanks :)

Replies

• ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna or chicken, nuts, pork rinds, a jar of olives maybe, seed crackers, cheese whisps, make your own protein bars with nuts and seeds, dark chocolate, maybe boiled eggs left in shell so you could at least have them the first day, avocado, cherry tomatoes, peanut butter. Hmmm that's all I can think of right now :D
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    You can get small sticks of pepperoni, genoa salami, etc.. that don't require refrigeration. Sardines, and other canned meats usually do pretty good for backpacking etc.. You can also buy cheeses that don't require refrigeration.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    You might look at some coconut chips (not the fine shredded) and like almonds too for the car when driving. I have been doing this for years now. It was much easier than I expected.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,561 Member
    Options
    Beef jerky, nuts, canned foods. Good luck!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    Thank you for tips!! Every idea helps :)
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about backpacking, but this site seems to have lots of ideas...
    https://alpinescience.com/keto-backpacking/
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    If you 'need' something sweeter when your pals are eating their granola bars or whatever, maybe get a few packets of protein shakes in different flavours - even if you don't normally use shakes or bars. I also like Good Fats bars for a treat once in a while - they are keto.
    i5v27f4cu94f.png
  • dawnz75
    dawnz75 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Was reading the backpacking link mentioned above and was surprised at this...

Nut Butter Supreme
    You’re one spoonful away from quick and easy energy! Remove half the peanut butter or almond butter from a 16 oz jar and replace with two sticks of butter (a stick is 4 oz) and mix! The butter adds calories while diluting carbs. Bonus: the plastic jars like the ones Trader Joe’s uses for it’s peanut and almond butters are lightweight and perfect for backpacking.

Has anyone done this with their almond/peanut butter? At first glance I am torn between the extra fat calories verses the savings in carbs... Interesting idea, wondered if any of you have heard of this before or maybe already practice it?
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    @dawnz75 I would like to know how it tastes lol.
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    I want to know how you even get it to mix unless you pull it all out and beat it with a blender...or maybe you get your pre-hike forearm workout in by trying to mix the butter and nut butter!
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    If you have a glass peanut butter jar, you could take 1/2 the PB out and put the butter sticks in the jar, then melt the PB and butter in the microwave. When the PB and butter are soft take the jar out of the microwave and hand mix it. Of course, a glass jar would not be great for backpacking, but it would work for home use. Otherwise, it seems like you would have to take 1/2 the jar of PB and the sticks of butter and microwave them in a microwave safe container that has a lid, heat it up, stir, put the lid on and you are good to go. Can you tell this idea interests me? Actually, I was thinking I might like melted coconut oil instead of butter with some cacao powder added to the mix. However, I might like this toooo much!
  • tcunbeliever
    Options
    but, when it cools will it stay mixed, or separate...nut butters tend to separate anyway after being heated
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    but, when it cools will it stay mixed, or separate...nut butters tend to separate anyway after being heated

I'm not sure. If it's really hot out, perhaps not. Might be worth a test run with a small amount.
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    canned sardines, salmon, clams? They can all add some variety to your canned tuna option. I also saw some recipes for high protein home made snacks that store well - made out of cricket flour - not sure if while you were on an outdoor adventure you wanted to go on a gastronomic one as well... LOL. But they did have one with cricket flour, dried tart cherries and cacao nibs that got my interest. Just haven't been brave enough to make them yet.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    Options
    @AKTipsyCat ..... not sure if I'm ready to go there lol

I did look at smoked oysters but was surprised at the carbs for the tiny can.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Canned mackerel is excellent. I’d buy pepperoni and summer sausage for the trip.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    AKTipsyCat wrote: »
    canned sardines, salmon, clams? They can all add some variety to your canned tuna option. I also saw some recipes for high protein home made snacks that store well - made out of cricket flour - not sure if while you were on an outdoor adventure you wanted to go on a gastronomic one as well... LOL. But they did have one with cricket flour, dried tart cherries and cacao nibs that got my interest. Just haven't been brave enough to make them yet.

I like Cricket bars but the company that was making them has switched up to doing things a bit differently - Landish's new bars have a different composition although some still using organic cricket flour. I've tried the new ones too and they are tasty. Not exactly low in carbs though... the bars are all net 15 with about 17g fats and 10g protein. High in quite a few essential vitamins though.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    @dawnz75 I would like to know how it tastes lol.

Pre-Keto I use to eat Peanut Butter and Butter sandwiches, they were my FAVORITE! I'd bet this PB/Butter mix tastes devine. I might actually try it myself and I have no intentions of going on an extended hike LOL