Keto and running

Options
zamirasoni
zamirasoni Posts: 89 Member
Hello!! I'm reaching out for advice. I'm not an athlete on any kind of way, but I do keep a pretty busy schedule. My friend and I like to do some running and we will do a half marathon here and there. So, it's been two years since our last half and we decided to start training. I was doing fine but I have gained about 30 lbs since the last half marathon and I was feeling it on my knees. So, I needed desperately to loose some weight and help out my joints. I started Keto two weeks ago. First week, i did my usual run and things were fine. Week two on Keto, I can barely move my legs. My legs feel so heavy and I'm exhausted. I went from 12 min mile to 14 and 17. I just need to know that there is hope at the end of the road. I don't expect overnight to go back to my glory days of 10 min miles-that was 30lbs ago. But I hope I can at least go back to 13 and have more energy. My runner's high/ burst of energy after my run is gone :( . Any advice or experiences would be greatly appreciate it.

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Quick advice: Supplement electrolytes. Add salt / lite salt to food and use electrolyte supplements.

Other advice: Read The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance by Phinney and Volek. This is specifically about the application of keto adaptation to athletic performance.
    Until keto-adapted (3-4 months after switching to keto), athletic performance will suffer during the transition.
  • zamirasoni
    Options
    Thank you @midwesterner85 . It seems like i have a long road ahead.
  • Janedod
    Janedod Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I agree with @midwesterner85. It seems silly, but I find that I don't realize how thirsty I am until it is too late. I love Zipfizz to replace electrolytes. They can be found on amazon, costco, or some health stores.
  • chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I just want to give you a little hope about this. I started keto in March, and I've mainly been focusing on the nutrition to lose weight. I run some, and work out in the gym, but I'm not training for anything. I signed up for a 5k on kind of a whim in May, and had a really good run! Some days are good, some days not so good. But I had the same experience before doing keto when I was focusing on my running & trained for a half marathon (good days & bad days). So, I think you'll get your speed back after some adjustment. Also, I don't know where you live, but here in NY we're finally getting some warm, humid weather, and that is an adjustment for running as well.
  • ShayKnicks31
    ShayKnicks31 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    There is always hope at the end sis. Hold onto your faith and know that better days are coming. Time to lace up, get up, and go! You got this 🤗🌻
  • zamirasoni
    Options
    Thank you @chelny , that does help. I went running with my crazy friend this weekend and I tried something new.I usually just get out of bed and go running. I live in Texas and I you are not out there by 6 am.. you are running at 82 degrees. So, this time I had a protein shake and pre-work out. I think the sugar help. I finish the 3 miles and I was only 3 minutes behind her. I consider that improvement.
  • zamirasoni
    Options
    Thank you @ShayKnicks31 .. I love your faith and attitude :)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Janedod wrote: »
    I agree with @midwesterner85. It seems silly, but I find that I don't realize how thirsty I am until it is too late. I love Zipfizz to replace electrolytes. They can be found on amazon, costco, or some health stores.

I love zip fizz as well. I drink one every morning.
  • zamirasoni
    Options
    @Janedod I missed my Zipfizz :'( Since, I started keto and i only get 20 carbs. My Zipfizz was among the first things to get cut. 2g of carbs is rough at the beginning.