I Need My Coffee!

Options
I'm willing to give up a lot of my bad habits to stay on the Keto diet, however, coffee is not one of them. I need my coffee! Unfortunately, I can not drink it black. I've been using heavy whipping cream in it, since that appears everyone on Keto does, but I can not stand the taste of it. Even half a tsp makes me gag. Anyone have any suggestions for a carb free alternative?

Replies

• ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I have a double shot espresso with almond milk and stevia. It is delicious!
  • BlancheandSmooshyface
    BlancheandSmooshyface Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I've never tried almond milk, but it can't be as bad as whipping cream.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I've been using Ripple, a brand of pea "milk". I like the unsweetened vanilla. Check out the nutrients on it and give it a try.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Oh yes I should add make sure it is unsweetened almond milk. The brand I have is like 1g carb for 300ml. Awesome!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Me too, the first week of keto I was going nuts, because I usually take my coffee with a lot of International Delights Cold Stone Creamery Sweet Cream and 1 to 2 tbsp of sugar.

I tried doing the a few of the suggestions on the sites, and they all tasted disgusting to me.

Then tried to cheat with a sugar-free vanilla creamer which made me bloat and gave me a headache.

So, I've created my own keto friendly creamer, that I'm coming to love.

1/4 cup (or more) of half and half.
    1 tbsp of unsweetened cocoa powder (I prefer organic or Trader Joe's).
    1 to 2 tbsp of Stevia or Monk Fruit. (Depending on how sweet you like it, I started out using 2 tbsp, but as the taste buds change have cut back to 1).

Heat all in a small sauce pan on low heat (I throw this on while my coffee is brewing). Let it heat for a few minutes, stirring occasionally with a fork or whisk, until cocoa is mostly blended and it looks like creamer.

At first I was also adding a couple of drops of vanilla extract.

• GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 36,294 Member
    Options
    @Emmapatterson1729, I can’t give up coffee either and I can’t drink it black. I use half and half, stevia but never thought about unsweetened coco powder, 👍🏼
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    Another great thing about cocoa powder is it has a couple of grams of fiber and has magnesium!!
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I never thought about heating the mixture to blend the cocoa powder in better......I bet that would help a lot.
  • nrs101364
    nrs101364 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I started first trying nut pods which was ok but a little pricey. I have since settled into half and half and a bit of skinny syrup. I sometimes put cinnamon in with the grinds. I also use Himalayan salt on the grinds to cut the bitterness of the coffee. Before I started LC I was using way too much of the refrigerated creamers (international delight etc)....But like you said, I NEED my coffee!
  • chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    nrs101364 wrote: »
    I started first trying nut pods which was ok but a little pricey. I have since settled into half and half and a bit of skinny syrup. I sometimes put cinnamon in with the grinds. I also use Himalayan salt on the grinds to cut the bitterness of the coffee. Before I started LC I was using way too much of the refrigerated creamers (international delight etc)....But like you said, I NEED my coffee!

I bought a cinnamon flavor Nut Pods creamer, which I liked a lot. I guess it was just seasonal, because it is no longer sold in my local grocery. I didn't like the caramel as much. I often make lattes with plain, unsweetened almond milk, because I really don't like plain coffee.
  • EelkoDoesKeto
    EelkoDoesKeto Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I just use milk for my tea... I keep it minimal.... 1 cup of milk is 6 carbs, I am probably using less than 30ml for the entire day ..... thats less than 1 carb...
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    I just use milk for my tea... I keep it minimal.... 1 cup of milk is 6 carbs, I am probably using less than 30ml for the entire day ..... thats less than 1 carb...

In the US our milk is like 12 carbs a cup, lots of added sugar here. That's why I switched to half and half and heavy cream.

I've always wondered if other countries' foods are healthier than US. Our foods are bad, manipulated by the corrupt FDA.
  • mora982
    mora982 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I can't give up my coffee. Sometimes I use butter or cooking cream and blend well in the blender.
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Australian full cream milk with no added sugar ,still has 12 g of carbs and 12g of natural sugar per cup. Milk has natural sugar. I put 30g of milk in my tea and 1 cup of almond milk in my coffee.When macadamia milk is cheap , I put 1/2 cup of that and 1/2 of almond milk in my coffee, so delicious. ☕👍
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    Malimalai wrote: »
    Australian full cream milk with no added sugar ,still has 12 g of carbs and 12g of natural sugar per cup. Milk has natural sugar. I put 30g of milk in my tea and 1 cup of almond milk in my coffee.When macadamia milk is cheap , I put 1/2 cup of that and 1/2 of almond milk in my coffee, so delicious. ☕👍

I love almond milk! I haven't tried macadamia milk, I need to!

When I want a cup of milk, I drink almond milk. It tastes better than cow's milk to me.

Tried cashew milk recently, because it was on sale. It was thicker than the almond milk, like real cream, but didn't taste as good as the almond.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I like unsweetened vanilla almond milk in my coffee. I like unsweetened coconut milk too. Typically, I also add a flavored liquid stevia. Unlike the OP, I love heavy whipping cream in coffee, but only use it occasionally because over time I've reduced my daily fat grams and increased my protein grams to successfully lower my high normal BMI weight to a mid normal BMI.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    I originally bought a caramel stevia syrup for coffee... But I want used to stevia yet, so I have it away. Now I wish I had it!
  • krystonite
    krystonite Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    My bullet coffee is my favorite thing in the world. I have it every single morning and it satiates me for hours. I make a regular coffee with a pod - lately I've been doing the Veranda blend from Starbucks. Then I used my Nutribullet to blend everything together - 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, 2 tablespoons of grass-fed, unsalted butter, and about 3 grams of splenda. Creates a delicious froth on top. I love it.

For my afternoon/evening coffee, I do the two tablespoons of coconut oil and about 9 grams of MCT oil. (And splenda.) Blended all together. The MCT helps me recover as well since I do my runs early, early morning and weight training at night.
  • scottyaus2732
    scottyaus2732 Posts: 67 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Resorted to double shot expresso’s, skulled.

As opposed to my full fat cappacinno with three divers and a generous dusting of chocolate powder.

Australia best coffee in the world.

The above my be a slight exaggeration. But better than the horse piss Americans have.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Resorted to double shot expresso’s, skulled.

As opposed to my full fat cappacinno with three divers and a generous dusting of chocolate powder.

Australia best coffee in the world.

The above my be a slight exaggeration. But better than the horse piss Americans have.

@scottyaus2732

Have you ever bought coffee or ordered coffee in America?

All of our coffee (I would estimate over 90 percent) in America is imported. From Africa, South America, Australia, Europe, or Asia. Which none are horse piss.

I have never had American coffee, and I've lived here 45 years, been an avid coffee drinker for 30 years.