Net carbs vs total carbs

Options
sylviamaness
sylviamaness Posts: 2 Member
Do you guys count net carbs or total carbs just curious?

& additionally do you all eat things like beans in small moderation that have high fiber and protien?

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I do net in that I subtract fiber from total carbs...I do eat beans in moderation, I love them in chili or dips and stuff, so I just do a smaller amount in relation to the other low-carb ingredients. So my chili is three lbs of meat and one can of beans where before it was two lbs of meat and four cans of beans, for example.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I personally just look at total carbs. For the most part, I never even come close to that goal so I didn't even watch that closely unless I know that I've eaten a higher carb than usual food. I personally don't do beans or any legumes as I follow a more Paleo-Keto approach.
  • zamirasoni
    zamirasoni Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I do net carbs, otherwise I will starve and I would avoid veggies like a plague. Using net carbs, allows me to make veggies a priority filler. I used flax seed for fiber source, low carbs. I have not venture into beans yet, even though i like them. Currently, I'm doing only 20 carbs per day and I have to manage them carefully. I'm fairly new to this, this is my third week. Maybe later I will get more efficient and beans would come back to my life.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely a bit addicted to my salads, particularly in the summer...they do seem to help me get through my low calorie days much easier...greens are glorious!
  • 1shoyos
    1shoyos Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I do net carbs. For others that do the same, do you subtract total daily fiber from total daily carbs to get net carbs? I have been doing each food item individually as some foods have fiber but no carbs. Hoping I don't have to be so strict and can just subtract totals.
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I used to go by net carbs but right now I'm doing total carbs. Both ways are good if they work for you so try 'em both if need be. MFP allows you to place your columns in your diary side by side so I've got carbs in one column and fiber in the next one. Makes it super easy to subtract fiber from carbs to get my net carbs total if I'm interested. Total carbs - total fiber = net carbs. Some folks subtract certain sugar alcohols but I've read articles that those aren't really fiber and shouldn't be subtracted. Play around with it and see what works for you! :)
  • chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I did add the fiber column to my diary, but I've basically been tracking total carbs. I have a target for carbs, and I usually end up a little over it. This is working for me so far.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I do net, because that just makes sense to me. I am not sure that it makes much difference though. Counting sugar alcohols as fiber does seem a little like delusional dietary voodoo, but I have only had them a couple of times in the past few years.
  • chinatowninchina
    chinatowninchina Posts: 1,279 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK so it's net carbs as that's what we use! It means anything labeled will show net carbs as the fiber is already taken off. Saves us the math ( maths!!)
  • kwcrane
    kwcrane Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    counting total carbs works best for me.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I am counting net carbs (subtracting fiber).

I am not touching beans or legumes.

But the whole reason I started keto was due to an illness that relates to food causing inflammation and bloat. After reading a lot into the science of why the foods that are listed as no-nos on almost all keto sites, I found that most of them are related to bloat and inflammation. So, I avoid.