Carnivore Challenge

WholeFoods4Lyfe
WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
I'm starting a 10 day Carnivore Challenge today. I've done Carnivore before, but it's been almost a year. After being on Keto for a 2 months (after a 6mth break), I did a "carb up" over the weekend. Today, I feel like crap. I was already planning on doing the challenge starting today, but now I'm realizing what a great time that it is. Clearly, carbs just do not agree with my body. I know this because I feel awesome on Keto, but this was a nice little reminder. Not to say that I won't ever eat carbs again, but clearly, I can't make a whole weekend out of it, maybe just a meal next time.

Anyway, wish me luck! I'm doing a relaxed form of Carnivore where I'll still consume coffee and tea and dairy. After my 10 day challenge, I'm going to go back to Keto for 30 days and then I'll do a strict 30 day carnivore challenge where I'll completely cut the coffee/tea and dairy. So we'll see how that goes. I like doing self-experimentation, but if anyone would like to join me, I'd love the company on this journey.

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Good luck!!!

I had ice cream saturday night...first time in ages...worst "hangover" yet...I should stick to whiskey.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I eat carnivore and still have coffee / tea, but not sweeteners. As for dairy, I'll sometimes eat cheese, but never dairy with heavy lactose (i.e. no milk).
  • BlancheandSmooshyface
    BlancheandSmooshyface Posts: 67 Member
    A chance to cut out vegetables (which I hate); count me in. I can definitely live on meat, fish, cheese and coffee. :)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    I’m primarily carnivore too, but I do eat dairy (it’s from cows) and I drink coffee and tea without any sweetener. I’m another person who doesn’t care for vegetables either.
  • BlancheandSmooshyface
    BlancheandSmooshyface Posts: 67 Member
    Have to admit, I was becoming a bit discouraged following Keto. After being on it for several weeks, I hadn't lost so much as an ounce and wasn't in Ketosis despite keeping my daily carbs to less than 20. Weighed myself today. After doing this Carnivore Challenged for one week, consuming no carbs at all, I lost 9 lbs. and, according to the strips, I am definitely in ketosis. Is it possible that some systems just can't handle carbs?
  • d_dc_lady
    d_dc_lady Posts: 121 Member
    @BlancheandSmooshyface Yes, this is absolutely right! We are all different and have varying levels of carb/insulin sensitivity. I discovered this when I started a 1-week carnivore challenge, that has no continued more than 2 months. Not only do I feel so much better, but I have lost weight consistently at the fastest rate I ever have (15 lbs in 2 months).

Everyone is different, based on our genetics and experiences (I had an eating disorder for 20 years and abused my body with sugar, which I suspect has played a role in my carb/insulin sensitivity). I've been listening to the Keto for Normies podcast, which is hosted by the couple who runs KetoConnect.net. It's a great show and they have expert guests, and a few have talked about exactly this topic, sometimes referred to as "bioindividuality." There are a few carnivore guests on the show and I highly recommend giving it a listen. Keto as a way of eating/living, is not one set, static thing. We have to experiment with it and see what works for us as individuals.