Weightloss is harder after 40

Options
I've always been able to drop weight quickly and maintain an average weight but since I've hit 40
( about 6 years ago 😏) it has definitely got tricky.
Has anyone else found this too?

Replies

• Graymanstole
    Graymanstole Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have a friend (also dieting) who likes to tell me he wishes he was in his 40's again because it is so much harder to lose the weight now that he's in his mid-50's.

Guess this is just the stuff we go through as we age, cause d**n if it wasn't easier for the weight loss when I was in my 30's...
  • kcpond
    kcpond Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am also finding it harder to lose weight in my 50's comapared to my 40's. Wasn't trying in my 30's so I have nothing else to compare it to.
  • vickimcdonald73
    vickimcdonald73 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Well progress is progress if we aren't going backwards, I guess 😁
  • EmeraldCity70
    EmeraldCity70 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It is definitely more difficult to lose weight in my 40s than in my 30s. I spent my 30s quite easily getting back to pre-baby weight (I had 2 kids, put on 10kgs each time). As soon as they were at school and the stress of work hit me, I put weight on - and it seems near impossible difficult to lose. And now I have 20kgs to lose!
  • snuff15ee
    snuff15ee Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I've found that I lose weight at a slower rate in my 40s, but I've still managed to shed 35 pounds in 5 months. The key for me was changing in the kitchen. "You can't out train your diet". I can't remember who said it, or where I read it, but that quote got me to start taking nutrition super serious. I started meal-prepping every Sunday for the following week, stopped drinking, and threw away every single bit of processed food in my pantry. Now I only consume lean proteins and complex and fibrous carbs. I weigh all my food and track calories and macros. My gym routine is nothing special. I strength train 3 days/week and do HIIT 2 days/week. It seems excessive, but I've had more success shedding body fat doing this than I did in my 20s and 30s when all I did was lift weights and run for miles.
  • cayenne_007
    cayenne_007 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Amen!!! I miss my diet in my 20s of chips, salsa & beer - and maintaining a size 3!
  • yurika975
    yurika975 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi! I definitely see that it is much harder to lose in my 40s. I was always slim into my 20s. I was able to drop my weight in about 3-3.5 months in my 30s. Now I have so much more to go. Likfe happened and the pounds came back and brought friends, family and enemies😭
  • SHEFITT45
    SHEFITT45 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am back on MFP, but this time, I am here to stay. I have 30lbs to lose, but I intend to lose a bit more to be in what is considered the healthy range for my age and height. I am sure I could use support for those days when I may feel less motivated. I am also here as a support to others... πŸ˜‰
  • bunny3269
    bunny3269 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I recently turned 48 and it is SO much more difficult losing weight after 40. I would love some new friends!!
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I keep losing, regaining, losing, regaining. It gets harder each time, so you would think I would learn my lesson! I need to make sure when I lose it this time, it stays off, because it takes so much effort to lose it now.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I'll let you know for sure in a few months. I don't know if it's really harder to lose weight with my mindset...definitely much easier to gain it :)
  • arizonero
    arizonero Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Agreed, our bodies especially men's bodies become wider. Men's jawbones become wider. You can easily see this with pictures of both John Travolta and Leonardo DiCaprio in their 20s compared to their 30s and 40s. My waist size in high school was 34. In college at 11% body fat, it was 36. Now, I would make a T-shirt that says 38 waist size if and emphasis on if I could get there again.