Can I not just eat my chocolate and do it too?

candacetysick
candacetysick Posts: 4 Member
edited June 2018 in Social Groups
Hi everybody, I'm 27 and looking to start making changes for the better. Even if they are the tiniest of changes.

I struggle with anxiety & stress. I eat when I'm bored, I eat when I'm stressed. I'm pretty sure lots of us feel like at least part of that. Oh, and I'm lazy as sin to boot.

I swear I want to change, but I'm still ready to fight for my piece of chocolate a day even if it's not going to help me at all. I really believe there has to be a way to have your 'piece of chocolate' remain a stable part of your life and make changes too. (And yes, even I know that's not really true to start- I just hate admitting it) Anybody else feel this way?

Hoping we can start a discussion about being stubborn as a mule but still making progress at the same time.

Would love to hear other people's experiences and be the person you yell your frustrations at

Replies

• Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,469 Member

My own experience is that if I can find a way to have at least one favorite food it makes it easier to stick with a food plan over the long term. When I read many of the posts on mfp I'm aware of how different people are in regard to the topic you raised for discussion. A lot of people can eat a lot of carbs, even sweets and maintain balanced eating without binging they say. Me, I have gotten to know a few trigger foods, so I do my best to avoid those ones, but I find new ways to make things I enjoy that help me avoid feeling deprived, so I'm less likely to binge. I put unsweetened cocoa powder in natural yogurt for my fun food, so chocolate bars rarely tempt me. But lots of people will just have some chocolate squares and they can work that into their days with no dire consequences.

Try some new things and see how you go is my advice, and thanks for the topic.
  • Niki_Fitz
    Niki_Fitz Posts: 945 Member
    edited June 2018
    I made some healthy changes this past year but let go of a lot of restrictions, meaning I probably eat more junk food daily than I ever have. The thing is I used to binge on it, but now I work to fit it in.

I agree with the above, ^ I have trigger foods and I’m careful with those, but I’m trying to make nothing off-limits. I think it was the good/bad thinking that got me into trouble with food in the first place.

This week I feel like I’m working hard to eat the maximum number of cheezits that fit my macros and cals :)
  • damaddox7
    damaddox7 Posts: 33 Member
    I think if you can have a piece of chocolate then have it. My problem is I want the whole bag. I can't stop at a piece if you can I don't think a piece of chocolate will make or break you. So enjoy!🍫
  • mjrc2
    mjrc2 Posts: 121 Member
    I cannot keep chocolate in my house. I have absolutely no self control. I will wake up in the middle of the night and eat chocolate until it is gone. I have learned to only buy single servings of junk- that way I cannot binge! @Gamliela -I just had yogurt with cacao powder and frozen cherries, its so good.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,469 Member
    I tried strawberris and blueberries and peaches with it. i think cherries would be awesome!
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    I'm on low carbs diet so I have low carbs hot chocolate drink with stevia , unsweetened almond milk and cream. I'm not strict and I'm still snacking on low carbs foods daily but I'm still losing 2 lbs a month.
  • albpowers
    albpowers Posts: 3 Member
    I am a 51 year old woman that eats out of boredom and habit. If I am sitting and watching TV between meals I start to think I am hungry and it is a battle to not eat something and wait for lunch or supper, At night I keep busy when watching TV by playing computer games or reading but I will see that it is getting late and all of a sudden I need a snack and that is all I think about until I eat something, I have not figured out how to stop the nighttime snack attack. Also how did you guys discover what your trigger foods are and why are they considered trigger foods? Thanks
  • Malimalai
    Malimalai Posts: 273 Member
    @albpowers , I put up posters of my choice on the fridge as someone in this group suggested .I copied them from internet. My #1,'' Not sure if hungry or just bored''. My# 2, ''What if I told you being bored doesn't mean you're hungry''. Now,I snack on healthy foods if I'm really hungry and don't go over my calories or my macros. I hope this help you too. ☕
  • RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    At first, I got the snack size/fun size of my favorite chocolate. I worked a piece in my calories for the day. I didn't go over my sugars, so I was good. Later, I switched it out to dark chocolate, would break a small piece off when i had a sweet toothed. When I started seeing that weight roll off, I was motivated to lose more, and make substitutions for more beneficial ingredients. So, now my grocery store has the "organic section", and has these dark chocolate peanut butter cups. Those are my go to.