Morning Exercise

Options
chelny
chelny Posts: 179 Member
Years ago, I always used to run in the morning before work, before breakfast or anything. I was trying to get back in the habit of morning running, but I’ve noticed my BG is higher after running, even on an empty stomach. I found an article discussing how the body releases glucose into the blood for energy, but apparently because of my insulin resistance that glucose is not used but stays in my blood.

So I guess this means I need to eat before exercising, and then that energy can be used for fuel. Or, no, if my insulin isn’t working, eating beforehand won’t matter? 🤫 Does anyone have insight or recommendations about this? I am not currently on meds or insulin.

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    I also find that BG is higher after exercise. I will be interested to see what info comes out of this thread.
  • chelny
    Options
    I’m collecting questions like this to ask at the education class. Although I don’t expect to get answers to these types of questions.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I eat an orange before running, and my blood glucose drops during exercise. I have found that not eating raises my cortisol levels which makes my glucose levels higher. Cortisol is a stress hormone which blocks the action of insulin. Ordinarily my levels are higher before breakfast due to fasting stress than they are afterwards.
  • chelny
    Options
    Thanks for this insight.