Bereavement triggers

Options
hobansarah
hobansarah Posts: 16 Member
I lost my dad in October it was his birthday and father's day this month, not sure if it was that but have completely binged the last 3 days. Trying to get back on track any tips to help me please

Replies

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss! (Just read this.)

I definitely think his birthday and Father's Day could have triggered your bingeing.

Tips/suggestions:

Be kind to yourself.
    Find non-food related stress relievers (coloring, knitting, crafts, reading, walking, swimming, yoga, etc.)
    Practice small, helpful changes; try not to overwhelm yourself.

I hope you're doing better now. 💕
  • MaGaOhMa
    MaGaOhMa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I have experienced the same feelings over the past two months. My dad died last May, and his birthday usually falls around Father’s Day. For some reason, the first anniversary of his death was incredibly hard. I took solace in the only thing that felt good (at the time) which was bingeing on my favorite junk foods—potato chips, nuts, and ice cream. The loneliness and sadness was overwhelming and I didn’t think I could handle it anymore. I was aware that I would gain weight quickly, but told myself I didn’t care which is obviously not true. Now I’m several pounds heavier than I was a month ago and fighting to reclaim the good habits I’d developed. Overeating is emotional and physical self-harm. I try to remember that a setback is temporary and reclaiming a healthy way of life is crucial. But it’s a struggle!
  • RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    Options
    I know I am really late seeing this post, but I just wanted to add my advise. I am not a professional, just someone that's been there.

Allow yourself time to grieve. It took a year (maybe even a lil longer) when I lost my dad, my brother, and my sister. Not that I was keeping count each time one had passed away, looking back i just remembered the times that i smiled again or felt a little better than the day before. Try your very best everyday, but be nice to yourself.

I know this isn't food, but it is a vice I had to overcome. When my dad passed away, I was already a smoker. I only quit because i found out i was pregnant. Quit smoking until the day I got a call that my brother, my best friend, was on life support. That triggered my cravings and I went back to smoking and eating. After a year, I decided I want to quit again. Went a couple years, and got a call my baby sister had an asthma attack and lost too much oxygen before help arrived. Here comes the cravings again. I also went into a depression and started eating anything and everything. Two years later, and here I am, smoke free and trying my absolute best to stay healthy. See my dad passed of COPD, my brother of Juvenile Diabetes, and my sister of bad lungs/asthma. I use them as motivation to keep going and live a healthy lifestyle. But mostly, I kept trudging through the pain trying my best each day to make good choices.

Sorry, I didn't mean this to be a book. Pain/greif is hard. Take it day by day. If you don't give up, you will pull through. Best thing that worked for me, if I didn't have it in my house, than I couldn't eat it during my stress cravings. Apples and bananas were my friends.
  • RastaLousGirl
    RastaLousGirl Posts: 2,119 Member
    Options
    After my big book, I reread OPs post. I was just way out there. Sorry! But I believe that the thought of you dad might have brought you some anxiety or nerves/stressers which could have trigger the binge.
  • MaGaOhMa
    MaGaOhMa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I appreciate you sharing your story. You’re right about taking things one day at a time.

I just discovered a trick to keep junk food out of the house: Walmart’s grocery pick up service. I shop from their website, then pick up my groceries at the end of the day. I never have to step foot in the store which means I don’t have to walk down the aisles arguing with myself about buying junk food. If I’m feeling sad, there is no ice cream to binge on. I’ve shopped this way for 2 weeks and it seems to be working.