Booze and Keto

LaurenBraddy
LaurenBraddy Posts: 65 Member
Hey guys...I'm about 2 months in...and have been in ketosis since day 2 (on this go round). I have significantly cut back on alcohol, but find it hard during the summer holidays. Has anyone tried the low sugar wine? I'd love any recommendations!!

Replies

• KristaMac88
    KristaMac88 Posts: 163 Member
    There are definitely options out there! Im not sure about wines, and im not in ketosis anymore and have just been trying to stay low carb since, but depending where you live..we have a company called Blue Lobster that makes lemon/lime vodka soda's. So good. Or Sleeman Clear has beer thats only 2.5g of carbs and 90 cals :)
  • LaurenBraddy
    Those sound good! I've been making do with vodka soda mixes....but I'm a beer and wine girl at heart! I got excited hearing about low sugar wine!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I usually have Jameson neat but I’ve had a few of the hard seltzer waters that were good, I like the grapefruit spiked and sparkling.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I know a guy, Ash Simmonds, who drinks wine every single day. He wrote a whole thing about how the carbs in my dry wines are over-stated. https://ashsimmonds.com/2014/08/09/carbohydrates-in-wine-its-not-starch-only-residual-sugar-and-why-listings-are-wrong/

Now, I am not saying that wine won't impact your weight loss goals. Ash is a long-term carnivore-leaning low-carber. He is long past the point of worrying about weight.

That was a good read. Thanks.

My N=1 is: I can't lose weight if I have alcohol with any regularity. Sighs.

Also: folks who drink wine, and log: DOUBLE CHECK the entries. Someone put ridiculously HIGH carb counts (like 20grams a glass) for many dry white wines.
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Wines in general, and especially dry wines are "relatively" low in carb count (usually 2-6 carbs per standard glass of wine)...

The problem with alcohol in general is people tend to significantly "over-consume"..that's how you get the buzz you are after..... which leads to breaking diets in general, or mixing things that aren't low carb into the alcohols (cause when drunk, things tend to happen..)

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/alcohol

I know someone who makes their own "schnapps" with vodka and 0 carb peach sparkling water... real low carb count on that...

• ammamber
    ammamber Posts: 7 Member
    Hard seltzers! They have helped me a lot. White Claw is my preferred.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Also if you are having wine - remember what a standard pour is.
    Though we'd all like to believe otherwise, an actual serving of wine isn't very big. In fact, it's only 5 ounces, and depending on the type of glass you're using, that can look really small. "Oftentimes, people are shocked when they see a proper pour of wine," sommelier Victoria James, wine director at New York restaurant Piora, tells SELF.
  • fdhunt1
    fdhunt1 Posts: 222 Member
    I love my vodka martinis but like Sabine_Stroehm I can't lose weight when I indulge. Anyone else like that?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Also if you are having wine - remember what a standard pour is.
    Though we'd all like to believe otherwise, an actual serving of wine isn't very big. In fact, it's only 5 ounces, and depending on the type of glass you're using, that can look really small. "Oftentimes, people are shocked when they see a proper pour of wine," sommelier Victoria James, wine director at New York restaurant Piora, tells SELF.
    YES. Given many places offer 6 or 9 ounce pours, it's easy to go way over.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    craigmandu wrote: »
    Wines in general, and especially dry wines are "relatively" low in carb count (usually 2-6 carbs per standard glass of wine)...

The problem with alcohol in general is people tend to significantly "over-consume"..that's how you get the buzz you are after..... which leads to breaking diets in general, or mixing things that aren't low carb into the alcohols (cause when drunk, things tend to happen..)

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/alcohol

I know someone who makes their own "schnapps" with vodka and 0 carb peach sparkling water... real low carb count on that...
    I can't lose these days even with vodka and club sodas.
  • LaurenBraddy
    Thanks everyone! I'm on keto primarily for health reasons, though I have enjoyed the weight loss benefits! I really enjoyed that linked post as well.
  • NattySchmatty
    NattySchmatty Posts: 103 Member
    In that past I've managed to lose steadily by doing vodka and seltzer water with few drops of mio for flavor. But only if I indulge one day a week. Anymore and weight loss stalls.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    It's so irritating that when I'm in weight loss mode I do best by cutting alcohol out all together.

However! When I'm in maintenance, or just not giving a kitten's *kitten* I usually make my own wine spritzers by the pool. I love a really dry white wine mixed with a la croix or other flavored sparkling water. I can drink that all day by the lake or pool. I've also done it with a dry rose and enjoyed it.

Also in the heat I will turn to a vodka soda, heavy on the soda and include a lot of lemon.

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    mmultanen wrote: »
    It's so irritating that when I'm in weight loss mode I do best by cutting alcohol out all together.

However! When I'm in maintenance, or just not giving a kitten's *kitten* I usually make my own wine spritzers by the pool. I love a really dry white wine mixed with a la croix or other flavored sparkling water. I can drink that all day by the lake or pool. I've also done it with a dry rose and enjoyed it.

Also in the heat I will turn to a vodka soda, heavy on the soda and include a lot of lemon.

That sounds good... And I'm not even a drinker! ;)
  • EelkoDoesKeto
    EelkoDoesKeto Posts: 72 Member
    Stupid liver, when it work out that it should be able to use carbs for fuel, Fat for fuel, and FUEL for fuel...
  • EelkoDoesKeto
    EelkoDoesKeto Posts: 72 Member
    "when WILL it"