Living the Lifestyle - Thursday, 07/11/2019

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,301 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - imastar (Derrick
Tuesday - GavinFlynn1 (Gavin)
Wednesday - Wildcard (Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: Formal Structure vs Freestyling It

Science has confirmed, and we've supported that confirmation with anecdotal evidence in this group, that no one method of weight loss works for everyone. Although most of us lost using the principles and methods taught by WW, most of us have applied our own spin on those techniques.

Some of us like a strict structure. Some of us like a bit more room to stretch when it comes to how we lose weight.

How about you? Which method do you prefer? Which method has provided the greatest success for you? Or, perhaps, you like a blend of both? Let us know.

Replies

• misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,301 Member
    Options
    A combination of both approaches works best for me.

When I am first getting started, or restarted, as the case may be, I do best with some fairly strict structure. It reminds me of specifics, reawakens the use of specific techniques, and makes me mindful/conscious of what is going on with my body and weight.

When I have a good rhythm going, I can move to the less structured approach because I have the necessary tools and discipline in place. When I lost 70 pounds back in 2008/2009, I lost about 50 of that using the non-counting approach.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    I sometimes need to be strict with myself,when Freestyling am at a more relaxed not stressed so I incorporate them together just not to over whelm myself from being to strict
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,020 Member
    Options
    Right noe I'm freestyling it so to speak. I've at least abandoned the WW plan for a nutritionist approach. With it planning seems to be bigger than I even expected. Not giving up however.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,999 Member
    Options
    Stucture is the only way I have been able to lose and keep it off.When I am not following a stricter plan I invariably will see my weight creep up. I know that I don't always have the will power or motivation to be strict and that is the biggest obstacle I struggle with.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,490 Member
    Options
    My WW goal was 184 lbs. In the 10 years I stayed in the WW system as a Lifetime member, I was as low as 169 and once at 186 lbs. Although I don’t currently participate in WW, I look on 170 lbs as my goal weight.

I think in terms of green, yellow, and red zones. Green= below 168, yellow= 168-172. Red=172+.
    Since I don’t attend WW I fudge the GW+2lbs a tad. But that 2 lbs over goal is a line I really take seriously. I tick over 172 and its right back to tracking calories on MFP. It works. And once started I’m tracking until I’m under 170.

So its freestyle when I can, structure when I need it.

What I think I’ve learned maintaining so long- we need to be careful about lines that we draw. Lines have to be backed up with action. They really do. Drawing lines that we won’t take seriously when the time comes is really a destructive act.

• Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options
    I freestyle the structure. I track 99% of the time, and guesstimate the other 1%. However, I allow myself to go off the rails for a day or weekend, with little remorse.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,586 Member
    Options
    I like structure but need some room to dance a bit. Too much and I will dance off the floor. But there are times when I need more structure and there are times I am in the grove I can handle more freedom. Right now I need structure.