Why I chose Beck this time

real_change
real_change Posts: 53 Member
I think most of us have attempted to lose weight more than once. If any of you are like me, I've gained that weight back every time. I'm a researcher by occupation and decided to look for something that seemed solidly based on good science. The Beck workbook is based on using cognitive behavioral therapy to help you change longstanding habits and mindsets. It's not actually a diet, you can follow any diet as long as it fits within certain parameters. You don't even start "dieting" until the third week. You spend the first two weeks getting ready.

i know a lot of my eating problems are due to how I manage stress and how I negatively talk to myself. I'm hoping this workbook/plan will help me overcome these issues.

As far as the diet i have chosen to follow, I know how to eat well and balanced. I'm going to use MFP's "diet," staying under the recommended calories to lose about 1 pound a week. I believe like others in this group (and Beck) that a diet that can be maintained is one that is flexible enough that you can follow it under all circumstances.

The original book and workbook (what I'm using) came out in 2007 so it's a little dated technology wise. I just ordered the updated full book but I like this workbook format and am mostly just curious to see if she's made any modifications. I have one big complaint about the book. You are required to have a diet coach. I'm choosing to use our group in this role but really it's probably best to have a nutritionist or maybe a one to one coach like weight watchers offers. The book says it can be family or close friend, but in my opinion, the book requires too much from that person, and for me, would put that person in a potentially difficult position that I don't want for any of my friends or family.

I'm glad I have you all and will do my best to be honest about my successes and failures and be supportive of you as well. So far I am very pleased with this new start and am optimistic that change is possible!

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Thanks for sharing that. I have come to believe that even the best plan may need some small tweaks for personal use. I can see the value of having a coach if that person listens to you and doesn't try to push you into a specific mold. I have consulted a registered dietitian but really only for a second opinion (mine being the first).

I am hoping this group will thrive and we can help serve the role you need. I would like to foster a mindset of tolerance to anything that is a healthy approach. While the physical portion of weight loss is fairly simple the mental side of it can be quite complicated and different from one person to the next.

I really like the idea of starting a plan without jumping into weight loss. I think it is smart because it takes your focus away from result-oriented thinking which I believe has sabotaged many of my efforts. My plan is not to lose weight it is to live comfortably inside a calorie deficit and let weight loss be the bonus prize. It is amazing what a change in mindset can do.
  • melanie_marie78
    melanie_marie78 Posts: 17 Member
    I'm not familiar with Beck, but what you said about the psychology aspect sounds really interesting. You'll have to update us on how that is working out for you. I kickstarted my diet with a free trial of the Noom app last week. I liked the psychology articles and motivating messages, but just wasn't thrilled enough with it to pay THAT much for it when I have My Fitness Pal for free. I'm curious about the role of the diet coach in the Beck program? Is it more just for accountability (someone to look at your logs) or is it more an advising role?

• bjkoziara
    bjkoziara Posts: 158 Member
    I agree with Novus in that every plan should be tailored to you and your wants/needs. One of the many things that differs this time around is that I am no longer involving other people, even my husband. Many friends, family, and coworkers know about it and everyone has been very supportive, but I'm not relying on anyone but me for motivation and accountability.
  • NovusDies
    bjkoziara wrote: »
    I agree with Novus in that every plan should be tailored to you and your wants/needs. One of the many things that differs this time around is that I am no longer involving other people, even my husband. Many friends, family, and coworkers know about it and everyone has been very supportive, but I'm not relying on anyone but me for motivation and accountability.

I am kind of this way too. I am not really wired for external support. It is called being intrinsically motivated. Many people are extrinsically motivated and there is nothing wrong with that either. People are just different. We have to find what works for us.
  • NovusDies
    edited August 2019
    I am thinking about buying the workbook myself. I am exceedingly curious about it. I have had it in my Amazon wishlist since last week when I saw it in one of the other threads.
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    @real_change how are you going? I've enjoyed reading the book and am waiting now for the workbook. I've done a lot of the activities already I think but I'm sure I'll get something out of the workbook. Like you I'm not keen on the idea of a coach. I also didn't choose two diets, I do CICO only, but I use MyNetDiary as well as MFP. (The interface of MND is better imo and the paid version gives you awesome graphs, nutritional breakdown and tracking minerals and vitamins.
  • I would try reading the free book, “Never Binge Again!” It basically helps you understand that your brain has really two different thought centers. One is your amygdala(lizard brain),and the other is your prefrontal cortex(Higher Thinking Brain). The amygdala (lizard brain) is the addiction center, habit brain, pleasure center, primal part of your brain. It doesn’t give a *kitten* about your health. It will try to tell you negative counterproductive thoughts anytime you try to lose weight or become healthy. It will try to keep you from trying things you haven’t done that are perceived as difficult or different. The prefrontal cortex or higher thinking brain controls your actions. Pretty much every action you take on purpose comes from this part. It gives you the ability to reason, understand, learn, create plans, goals, etc... You can learn how to recognize where your thoughts are coming from, and how to ignore and even control the negative counterproductive thoughts. It a game changer!
  • kosseychick
    kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
    I decided to get The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Weight Management. I'm enjoying activation me wee brain and doing the exercises. I'm definitely starting to feel more organized and creating to do lists and journaling is helping me stay focussed on the prize of being healthier mentally and physically.😊
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    I've read and used this book and found it very helpful. Just wondering how the rest of you are finding it? Every now and again I have to pull up my notes and refresh but it certainly has been a useful approach.
  • maiomaio71
    I've really found it useful. Some things I knew. Some things weren't helpful. Other things were amazing. I would definitely recommend it.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    You know the funny thing that actually really helped me? It was the "NO CHOICE" card. I never made a card but now when I really want something I tell myself no and it is amazing how that changes my perspective. Don't laugh, I know it sounds dumb but I never actually said no to myself before. It's a whole new concept for me. And what is really even more amazing is it works.
  • maiomaio71
    @cheryldumais, me too! Just say no. How simple. But it works!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Here are some past posts on Beck!....I love digging back thru our posts!...you can always find useful information!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,129 Member
    I read and worked through it in 2019 I think it was, I took the elements from it I thought would work for me as some of the stuff I didn't find helpful. It gave me some useful tools for the box though and that's what matters.
  • cremorna1
    cremorna1 Posts: 133 Member
    Thanks, Connie! I didn't know this thread was here!
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    cremorna1 wrote: »
    Thanks, Connie! I didn't know this thread was here!

I think I have read every post and thread on here....Larger Losers is my home base!...I love this group and all of the support and grit we have!....we do not give up!
  • rieraclaelin
    rieraclaelin Posts: 115 Member
    Oh wow, this is kinda neat to me, I'm currently doing CBT workbooks for my anxiety, and I recognized Beck right away! I have been looking up stuff on Amazon to buy that is based on all this.

I never thought about using it with dieting, though, huh.