Calculate body fat %

Options
l4a_p
l4a_p Posts: 241 Member
So, out of curiosity I tried to find trustworthy calculations to have a vague idea about my bodyfat %. Lots of different sites and methods to be found, yet all of them seem to overestimate me a lot.

To explain: my BMI is about 21.6, which is nicely in the middle of what is considered a "healthy" weight. Furthermore, I'm rather sturdy built (you won't hear me say big-boned but I can't change the width of my hips & shoulders nor the depth of my chest) and nobody would consider me to be chubby on sight.

And yet, all of the different calculations estimate me at 26-28% bodyfat. Knowing that the "normal" range for body fat is 20-25% (for women my age), I'm a bit convinced the calculations are *kitten*.

Here is one of them with my parameters filled out: https://www.calculator.net/body-fat-calculator.html?ctype=metric&csex=f&cage=29&cweightlbs=152&cheightfeet=5&cheightinch=10.5&cneckfeet=1&cneckinch=7.5&cwaistfeet=3&cwaistinch=1.5&chipfeet=2&chipinch=10.5&cweightkgs=67&cheightmeter=176&cneckmeter=34&cwaistmeter=75&chipmeter=101&x=69&y=28

So in short my question is: has anyone used a calculation method that seemed like a decent estimate?

[Disclaimer] I know calculation will never be 100% accurate / I shouldn't focus on numbers / bodyfat is unrealiable / etc. So please feel free to not give those replies :)

Replies

• Pricklypineapple422
    Pricklypineapple422 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I used one of the calculators around a month ago and it said I was around 21% body fat which I thought sounded pretty accurate. I am getting a podpod test done in a week and a half so I could measure myself then compare to the bodpod results to see if the measurements were at all accurate?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I never found those calculators to be accurate. I put in my stats when I was really lean and it gave me 29.4% (which is not accurate at all as I am much leaner). Then I increased the neck measurement to 20" and it gave me 13%!! Yea so I have a small neck apparently that means my bodyfat is higher? :/

• l4a_p
    l4a_p Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I used one of the calculators around a month ago and it said I was around 21% body fat which I thought sounded pretty accurate. I am getting a podpod test done in a week and a half so I could measure myself then compare to the bodpod results to see if the measurements were at all accurate?

That would be great! Thank you
  • leahrose02
    leahrose02 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Bodpod or a dexa scan is the only way you will get a really reliable measurement without human error. Using calipers can give a moderately good measurement but the person must be trained in using calipers for body fat measurement