Honest help!

Options
Soaringrose
Soaringrose Posts: 52 Member
I posted a comment in another discussion but mentioned I’d make my own post. I literally am torn as to what to do! I go back & forth constantly choosing between low carb & counting calories/low fat. I’m miserable counting calories/low-fat. I hate it! Imso hungry ALL the time. It seems more reasonable for when we have get together/holidays etc. it’s easier to bounce off & on without allthe punishments going low carb does. I did low carb, most of the time below 20 carbs a day for 3 months & lost 36 lbs. sounds great huh? Well it’s nice to lose which is my desperate goal but I NEVER had energy! I made sure of my salt, had enough calories & fat. But I was sluggish. Then I tried a few weeks ago and my muscles again were just so achy. I ate a banana & felt a TON BETTER. Does that make sense?!

Here I am again. Counting calories & starving. It’s ridiculous. Went to the doc about blood work & now I have high cholesterol & I sorta feel like cause I keep going back and forth.

It’s expensive too. I have a big family. And truth is. I can make our meal & add carbs for them. But then my teenagers want to do it too so then I start spending too much money and have to change it up. If they don’t do low carb all the time but just for dinners I worry they’ll gain instead.

I want to stick to something but keep failing. I’m sure I’ll get comments like your gonna have to make ur mind up. But honestly. IM TRYING TO. I love low carb food, I love how I get full. I don’t know people personally who actually do this for a long time. Just internet people! So I’m gonna trust that it’s possible. Do u ever get off of it? Then get back on? Like for Christmas?

I’d really appreciate any feed back suggestions....

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I’m not sure why it’s more expensive. Are you buying “keto food products”? I would totally skip those. They usually aren’t actually a good choice any way.
    Are you buying expensive ingredients trying make fake breads and sweets? Skip it. Don’t try to eat the way you used to. You don’t make long term changes that way.
    Concentrate on meat and non starchy veggies. That’s it. Any meat you like is fine. But what’s on sale. But frozen veggies so you aren’t wasting things that might go bad.
    No need to buy fancy keto products. They are all just cashing in on the popularity anyway and stealing your good intentions. Most of them aren’t as low carb and keto friendly as they’d have you believe.
    Keep it simple.
    Meat. Veggie. Done
  • Jessimom2
    Jessimom2 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hello! Have you tried just adding a few more carbs in maybe going up 5gm a week or two at a time to see what feels good? See where you are still losing, but feel better and like you can maintain it? I usually get between 20-30 net carbs. Some days a little less and sometimes a tiny bit more. I believe — anyone please correct me if I’m wrong — that anything under 50gm is keto. Under 20gm works great for tons of people, especially is insulin resistant, but from my understanding you do not have to be under 20gm to be in Ketosis.

Also, have you tried making sure to get electrolytes? Bananas are FULL of potassium. Maybe you need to get a sugar free propel (I mix one up daily) or a beef/bone broth is something warm and savory is more satisfying. I know I felt horrible before I learned that trick. And if hungry or thirsty sometimes all I really want is some broth or propel (salt!). You’d be surprised how little you get on a low carb :)
  • Jessimom2
    Jessimom2 Posts: 109 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Oh, I also agree with @Sunny_Bunny_ about expenses. I eat salads with meat (avocado, tomatoes, cucumbers), taco bowls with cauliflower rice, eggs(so many ways to have them), and just meat with sides of veggies as my meals. What I was eating before keto, but minus any breads or fruits. I do have coconut oil daily, but get a giant jar of Virgin Unrefined oil from Walmart. And just found Virgin Unrefined COLD pressed even cheaper at Sam’s. I only buy ‘keto’ treats as well treats. I only make keto recipes as well treat meals. So I can trick myself into being excited about things that I could really have most of the time lol. And I also want to watch the budget.

I have two small kids and my husband. They are NOT low carb at all. I mean NOT at all! So I do try to cook things that they can have too minus carbs for me. I just add more butter to mine and watch with theirs done I don’t want them high fat and high carb. I have a hamburger salad when they have hamburgers. I am planning on making a keto pizza casserole next movie night. And of course taco tuesdays (um taco salad or taco cauliflower rice bowl). I have more things, I pretty much eat similar meals with my family all the time for ease.
  • Soaringrose
    Options
    I appreciate these inputs very very much.
  • AKTipsyCat
    AKTipsyCat Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    All very good advice! You can also be low carb and not be Keto, I've actually found that by adding a few extra carbs my energy is through the roof lately - and yes, I do watch my calories, but because I'm so much more energetic and DOING the things, I find I have more calories to play with. A day with hitting my steps and hitting Hot Yoga and I have over 1000 calories to play with and will allow myself some extra healthy carbs. So I've been focusing more on my calorie deficit for the day - instead of my total calorie ingested. On super active days (for me, realizing I'm 51) I can ingest up to 1700 calories and still lose weight... on not so super active days... I stay as close to my 1350 goal as possible. I'm hoping now that I'm not being so restrictive with myself and being more active, it's gonna *stick* this time.
  • Soaringrose
    Options
    These r absolutely wonderful suggestions. I don’t buy Keto brand type foods. Although I do buy almond flour ect. I think one of my things is that my family is spoiled to allthat other stuff & I start feeling guilty making things a little different. I for sure can not bake reg cookies/ cakes ect. But my husband & teenage sons r on a bit of a healthy kick, going to the gym ect so I think I can get buy without those things anyways. I’m gonna sit with them this weekend and work on a meal plan that they all agree on so I can get that out of my head. I personally think I might do better with a bit more carbs. And as much as I just like plain water I will make sure I drink that electrolyte drink mentioned. I sincerely appreciate yalls time in responding.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    @Soaringrose
    I can't even afford the almond flour, it's $12 here for a little bag. Luckily beef, lamb, and dairy are cheap where I live.

I've been making the ice cube sized fat-bombs (peanut butter, coconut oil, stevia, cocoa powder) for sweet treats, my daughter loves them.

I definitely think going extremely low on carbs (keto-low, under 20 grams) isn't for everyone. And not needed for health and/or weight-loss.

I maintained healthy weight eating whole foods and tracking for years. I just started eating keto due to disease that causes weight gain, bloat, and pain... Extremely carb sensitive since developing illness.

Good luck, Sorry, so long. I'm a foodie and a nutrition nut that loves to talk food and health!!
  • Soaringrose
    Options
    I thank you Emma for taking the time. My guys decided they want to eat better too. While they aren’t going to do strict low carb, they don’t want to eat flour & sugar so that helps me a ton! So I’m gonna get started again & go from there. I’ll keep all these comments to look back on. I’m not a logger on here except when I have time. I do look in the group comments etc & get help this way. It’s very helpful!
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple, and take a look at the recipes/websites link in the Launchpad here for food ideas: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10348430/recipe-tips-websites-lcd-group-member-recipes?new=1
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Stir-fry meat and lots of chopped fresh veg - whatever is in season - make it ethnically diverse with different spices - Italian spices with no extra sugar tomato sauce and a sprinkle of mozza or parmesan, Greek with oregano and lemon, Mexican with cilantro & cumin & chili with a bit of hot sauce or salsa, Thai with a bit of peanut butter & soy sauce, Chinese with toasted sesame oil and soy sauce or Bragg's Amino's.... etc. If they want a few more carbs they can top a small baked potato with the mixture, and you can always top sturdy greens with it for a compromise. We eat that a lot. It's easy and quick to prepare after work.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I eat 100 gr of carbs daily, maybe you could up your carbs, I lost 30 lbs in 3 months and have kept it off for a year. I like this WOE because I dont get so hungry like you said.
  • Soaringrose
    Options
    Thank you! I think that is going to b one of the keys for me is upping my carbs. I’m going to do the propel like someone said each day. And I’m gonna keep it more simple. I drink a ton of water each day so I think the propel might help with that. I haven’t been on long but I feel great. I’m not even having side effects.
    I’m gonna do it one day at a time & use the advice y’all r giving me. It is so unbelievably helpful! I appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thx! ❤️