Stalled?

Options
Goddess3814
Goddess3814 Posts: 15 Member
I started keto 5 weeks ago. Dropped 10lbs the first week! However, since then my weight loss has slowed down drastically. (It doesn't help that my scale changes if you move it 1/4 inch in either direction.) I started at 260lbs and just weighed in at 243lbs. I'm ecstatic about my weight loss but was wondering how you can lose so much and then slow down so drastically. Its weird. Lol! Other than that. Since I made it to 243 I've been going back and forth between 243 and 246 for the past 2 weeks. SO frustrating. I thought maybe I needed fiber since I'm not really regular but after more research thats not it. Anyone have any suggestions on how to break this cycle?

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    When starting out on keto, most drop a significant amount of weight quick. It's mostly water weight. Then the weight loss slows down.

But you have lost a significant amount, that's great!

On all the things I've read about keto, it says once the weight-loss slows down, pay attention to accomplishments off the scales, inches lost, progress pictures, clothes getting too big.

You'll keep losing!!

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Measurements are way more useful than the scale...photos too...as a general rule you can only metabolize about 1% of your body fat in any given week, so that doesn't work out to much on the scale from day to day...but in measurements it's so much more visible, and the water weight shifts show up less in the measurements, though bloating through the belly will still show up on the measuring tape.
  • rich41n
    rich41n Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Agree with above, I dropped 10 lbs the first week (water weight) and have averaged about 2-3 lbs lost each week over the last 4 weeks. Also, while the scale doesn't move drastically anymore I have noticed that my clothes are getting much looser on me!

Keep up the good work, you're doing awesome!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Any cheats? Are you drinking fatty coffees or eating spoonfuls of coconut oil? Are you eating a bunch of nuts or nut flour treats or having snacks?
    Those will prevent fat loss and displace more nutrient dense foods.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    started keto 5 weeks ago. Dropped 10lbs the first week

Not a stall.

10lbs in 5 weeks still comes out to 2lbs per week.

As weird as it might sound, watch the averages. As long as you're averaging about what your deficit says it should be (which is usually 1lb per week), you're fine.
  • kmfeig87
    kmfeig87 Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    Not 10 pounds, 17 pounds!! That means after the initial 10 pound loss you are still averaging almost 2 pounds a week!! That's wonderful and you should not expect to lose more than that!