BJJ journey

Options
suzanne6094
suzanne6094 Posts: 104 Member
edited July 2019 in Social Groups
Hi Guys

Would be great to get a little background on your BJJ journey.

67l2t7xybrz6.jpg

Replies

• Tatami_Matt_1
    Tatami_Matt_1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Karate background growing up (thru college), joined the military- tried TKD and Judo because that was what was available where I was stationed. Combatives (JJ based) in the Army - but nothing serious. After retiring, found a BJJ to do something with the boys, still get some exercise, competition, etc. immediately fell I love (I’m a big strong dude, how did this little guy ride me like a Spider Monkey and keep choking me - I’ve got to learn this!!!).

Been off the mats for a few months dealing with a shoulder injury/surgery; will be back in a few more - I can’t wait. Slowly starting to gain some mobility back and starting some individual drills and watching a bunch on YouTube, LOL
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Here is something I wrote for BJJ Problems about a year and a half ago. Since that time I have been more focused on MMA and striking and have fought once wining by sub. I hope to fight again two more times until I go back to a heavy focus on Gi BJJ - though I am still training in the Gi once a week or so.

https://bjjproblems.com/blogs/bjj-problems/jiu-jitsu-changed-my-life
  • suzanne6094
    Options
    Hi guys, sorry I was down with an ovarian cyst and then fighting the kids germs.. ha ha its always going around the house waiting for its next victim, so been laying low and still helped in kids class but could not attend adult classes, needless to say I am eager to get back on the mats.

My short term goal is to compete end of the year but before that happens really need to sort out my nutrition...

Thanks for the article, will give it a read.

Lol, I danced my whole life hip hop and modern , wrestled with my brother when I was young but girls were not allowed then wanted to try Judo but my dad did not want me to :( only other sports were swimming and yoga but when I found BJJ it was like coming home....

There is def no turning back.. I love it.. but find at our age nutrition, rest and recovery are a lot of balls to juggle esp with 2 kids... But I am determined.
  • suzanne6094
    Options
    Brabo_Grip wrote: »
    Here is something I wrote for BJJ Problems about a year and a half ago. Since that time I have been more focused on MMA and striking and have fought once wining by sub. I hope to fight again two more times until I go back to a heavy focus on Gi BJJ - though I am still training in the Gi once a week or so.

https://bjjproblems.com/blogs/bjj-problems/jiu-jitsu-changed-my-life

Awesome story!!! inspirational...
  • julie_mclelland
    julie_mclelland Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi! Just wanted to introduce myself.

I started jiu-jitsu after my son and husband started 3ish years ago. (They started right after my third baby was born so I joined 5 months later).

I have a background in sports but when I started jiu-jitsu, I fell in love. I have 3 young kids so the fact that they can come with me to train makes it so much easier (at times harder lol)!

I’ve been competing for 2.5 years. My first competition was 5 months after I started and I’ve been hooked since.
  • suzanne6094
    Options

I started jiu-jitsu after my son and husband started 3ish years ago. (They started right after my third baby was born so I joined 5 months later).

I have a background in sports but when I started jiu-jitsu, I fell in love. I have 3 young kids so the fact that they can come with me to train makes it so much easier (at times harder lol)!

I’ve been competing for 2.5 years. My first competition was 5 months after I started and I’ve been hooked since.

Hi Julie, so great to hear about your journey, our stories are very similar, I can't believe at the age of 40 and 2 kids later I found this amazing sport.... Also lucky that my daughters are enjoying JITS (I assist in the kids class). Its such an important skill for females to learn and I wish more would try it out!

i have struggled lately with some health issues (leaky gut etc) so had to do a full elimination eating plan no dairy, sugar, gluten or caffeine, but now I am already feeling the benefits...

Preparing to compete towards the end of the year for the first time.!!!!
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options

Awesome Julie! I keep trying to get my wife to give it a try. I have succeeded in almost 7 years, but I’m going to keep trying. Ha ha!
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I found Jiu Jitsu trying to get fit to improve my fencing (which I only started in my mid 30s). For a while I did both but a double concussion with my first competition helped me realise the toxic elements at my club and when I moved to another bjj club, the classes clashed with fencing. Since then I've added judo instead of fencing. This year hasn't been much training though. Broken arm (judo competition) followed by donating my kidney and a collapsed lung combined to get me frozen shoulder. I'm finally back doing technique and rolling with coach but my strength and confidence are both super low. I'm going to try and roll with some of the other upper belts (purple and above, I'm blue) to get back soon as possible.