MFP logging exercise calories

AllyG1213
AllyG1213 Posts: 3 Member
Hi team,

Just like most people, I usually log my exercise with Fitbit & log my food with MFP. However now that I have a trainer she wants to see all my exercise activities. Based on the table below, Fitbit only syncs STEPS not exercise activities. So now I have to start logging my exercise activities in MFP - which sucks because it is such a cluny app from the 90s and there are barely any updates on the UX. The only reason MFP is still around is because of the food database. Everything else is pretty useless.

My issue is this: on the MFP app when I hit "log exercise" it asks me Strength or Cardio. I am focusing on strength and have 2 issues:
1. I can't believe I have to log EVERY SINGLE exercise I do. Every rep, set, etc. This isn't realistic. In Fitbit you just select the activity "weights" and log how much time you did it for and it will guestimate calories burned. Does MFP not do this? I can't log every single rep I do.

2. Even if I did log every strength activity, it asks me how many reps, sets, and pounds. This it asks me for Calories Burned. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW THAT!? Isn't that MFP's job to log that in? If not what is the point of this?? I don't know how many calories burned because I don't have time to figure it out. If you log your exercise and leave that blank it's like you might as well not even logged your exercise.

What syncs?
Fitbit > Steps > MFP
Fitbit > Calories > MFP
Fitbit > Aria measurements > MFP
MFP > Logged food > Fitbit
MFP > Activities > Fitbit

For someone that is forced to log non-step exercises in MFP, can someone please please help me make this easier?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Some misunderstandings that are making this more difficult than it needs to be.
    Suggest reading the FAQ under the stickies.

Can't your trainer see your Fitbit logs - which has your workouts listed and totals of meal calories and macros?

To your points:
    1 - that function is if you want to log your sets & reps on MFP - it has nothing to do with calories
    Do it on Fitbit as you are. Because indeed, for calories that is more accurate manually logged than by HR-based calorie burn which would be inflated.

2 - when you log Weights under the Exercise database - it would have an estimated calorie burn there already. You can replace it or keep it. It's small compared to cardio and that's true.
    But Fitbit is giving a better estimate - so to the point of using their exercise Diary, don't do it on MFP anyway.

Fitbit sends steps as a figure for viewing - that's it's only purpose.
    Fitbit sends Total Daily calorie burn to MFP - that's all that is needed to figure out your eating goal.

MFP sends meals to Fitbit.
    MFP will send manually logged workouts back to Fitbit to replace what it had.

But if you are getting the calorie burn form Fitbit - you are merely increasing the odds of a mistake, and getting hit by sync issues.

Log your workouts on Fitbit if you did NOT use the device function to log it already.
    Log your food on MFP and it will transfer to Fitbit.

Show your coach your Fitbit Food and Exercise diary for their comments.

Know that with Fitbit Activity Records you can log extra info about the workout for notes and such. Just edit it. (MFP has no such ability)

Eat to your MFP goal, which is calculated from Fitbit Total burned less your selected deficit.
    As the day goes on there is more math occurring - but that is basically what MFP is attempting to do - correct itself to that Fitbit total.
  • babysaffy
    babysaffy Posts: 232 Member
    Very helpful explanations heybales. Many thanks! The way you've broken it down is easier to understand than some posts I've read on Fitbit issues :)
  • jmbailey8199
    jmbailey8199 Posts: 1 Member
    Ok I know I'm being dense here - I'm a little unsure of what to make of the different information available on the forums. If I have a Fitbit versa (which does measure heart rate) and I do an exercise class that is not step based but does increase heart rate, and I choose to automatically track the exercise while it's happening so it automatically gets recorded in the Fitbit app, should I also add the exercise in MFP, or will the calorie deficit automatically be sent to MFP? Or does the calorie deficit only get calculated based on my step count, which in this case wouldn't take into account the non-step based class I took?

Today for example I did such a class, and I also went over my step count (unrelated). I had a calorie deficit show up in the MFP app. I also added my exercise because I didn't see it transferred over from Fitbit. I've since read that Fitbit doesn't send exercises so that makes sense - and when I recorded the exercise my calorie deficit jumped up to like 800 calories. While I would LOVE that to be the case it just doesn't seem right.

Thank you for explaining it like I'm a child (read: please explain it to me like I'm a child).
  • heybales
    edited July 2019
    Ok I know I'm being dense here - I'm a little unsure of what to make of the different information available on the forums. If I have a Fitbit versa (which does measure heart rate) and I do an exercise class that is not step based but does increase heart rate, and I choose to automatically track the exercise while it's happening so it automatically gets recorded in the Fitbit app, should I also add the exercise in MFP, or will the calorie deficit automatically be sent to MFP? Or does the calorie deficit only get calculated based on my step count, which in this case wouldn't take into account the non-step based class I took?

Today for example I did such a class, and I also went over my step count (unrelated). I had a calorie deficit show up in the MFP app. I also added my exercise because I didn't see it transferred over from Fitbit. I've since read that Fitbit doesn't send exercises so that makes sense - and when I recorded the exercise my calorie deficit jumped up to like 800 calories. While I would LOVE that to be the case it just doesn't seem right.

Thank you for explaining it like I'm a child (read: please explain it to me like I'm a child).

read the FAQ in the stickies a couple times.

No do not log the workout in MFP.

There is no calorie deficit sent to MFP. There is none to be sent actually.

The step count is merely a figure like weight or glasses of water drank - has nothing to do with anything except a goal perhaps.

The calorie deficit is based on your selection of weight loss rate, 250, 500, ect for 1/2 lb, 1 lb, ect.

Yes, you are confused on several matters - please read the 1st section of the faq couple times.
    That's why it's there - this can be confusing.

Actually, make sure you are also reading each post in this topic - because several points made above that could likely help.
  • AllyG1213
    AllyG1213 Posts: 3 Member
    edited August 2019
    It’s great that MFP is so confusing we need to re read the faqs several times and we are still confused. They make this as if it’s rocket science.

I honestly think it’s a useless program. They make it impossible to track non step excercise, body fat goals, you can’t add custom body measurements in the app, or even message this forum in the app it makes you go to the website.

The only reason MFP is still around is because of the food data base. If it was in fitbit it would be totally usless
  • heybales
    AllyG1213 wrote: »
    It’s great that MFP is so confusing we need to re read the faqs several times and we are still confused. They make this as if it’s rocket science.

I honestly think it’s a useless program. They make it impossible to track non step excercise, body fat goals, you can’t add custom body measurements in the app, or even message this forum in the app it makes you go to the website.

The only reason MFP is still around is because of the food data base. If it was in fitbit it would be totally usless

Actually - if someone just followed the numbers given you'd be fine.

It's when people think they got it figured out more than MPF that it gets screwed up.

The FAQ is explaining how MFP is doing it and why you can leave the info alone and follow the goals given to you.

And I don't use the app - but I hear people all the time doing what you say can't be done.

In fact an issue with doing the forums on the app is you aren't forced to scroll through all prior replies to a post, thereby creating a new comment that was perhaps just answered right before yours.

Not sure why you think you can't track non-stop exercise, of course you can.

Didn't realize the custom measurements could only be added on the website.

Then again - I'd suggest you've shown enough user error on the other complaints - perhaps that one is possible too.