Introductions

Options
amanda1005
amanda1005 Posts: 31 Member
Hello everyone! My name is Amanda, and I am new to using MFP and keto. I apparently made an account on here a couple years ago, but never used it. I've been following a keto diet on and off for about two weeks now. I keep having a cheat day and eating way too many carbs, and then feel sick the next few days. I have been following a vegetarian lifestyle for 10 years now, and researched if following this diet would fit in with being a vegetarian. I only decided to do this because I saw others have some success with it. Hopefully one day, I too can be a success story for someone! :smile:

Replies

• henrylordwotton
    Options
    im 42 and have worked in the food industry most of my life. high blood pressure, cholesterol, and had a stint put in 6 years ago to keep my artery open. not fun. i started doing keto and have lost some weight but im concerned with long term bacon eating. i can live without carbs (beer is the most difficult) but i want to ween myself off from meat.
  • innovati
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for six years, and I've known people who have had great success with the keto diet (and the paleo diet) and I'm curious to see how it works for vegetarians.

For the first 5 years of not eating meat I wasn't eating especially healthy. I was slowly naturally getting closer and closer to a vegan diet and so I finally decided that if I was defaulting into veganism I wanted to make sure I got the right vitamins and stuff - so last year I learned how to cook with Tofu, TVP, and I started using Nutritional Yeast. I lost 70 pounds in 7 months and then my weight has kind of plateaued and stayed steady for the past half a year. I'm not trying to lose more weight, but I would love to eat healthier and make sure I'm getting what I need!
  • Oaeneo
    Oaeneo Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I am not a vegetarian but my SO is a vegan. I eat meat only on occasion and never with him, so we cook a lot of vegan dishes. Therefore, my diet is much more keto-veg than keto-traditional. :) I am planning to go vegan when I get to my GW and can start maintenance.
    I am always looking for new recipes and ideas on how to stay on the primarily vegetarian keto path.
  • Araelle
    Araelle Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I am 23 years old and I have been vegetarian for about 3 years. I do hope to eventually become full vegan at some point. I've heard a lot about keto and I was very excited to learn that it is indeed possible for vegetarians as well, so I am going to give it a shot. Being a vegetarian living with three meat eaters it becomes very easy to default to unhealthy carb loaded meals. This seems like it'd be perfect for me to break the cycle.
  • Twylashea
    Twylashea Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a 35 year wife and mother of one. I've been a lacto-ovo veggie since 2005, although most flesh except fish was cut out way before then.

I am a carb addict!!! Once I became a SAHM, and had unguarded access to the pantry, it became clear that I needed to make some changes. While I haven't gained a lot of weight, I have fluctuated at numbers that are unsatisfactory to me. Being hungry doesn't work for me. With calorie reduction diets I become the binge monster!!!

But what is this? Eat fat and be full? I can eat less calories on a keto diet than I ever thought possible on a high carb reduction diet. Amazing!! And the scale. Well, she and I are now becoming friends. Now to attempt to tame the running machine ????
  • rlengland2014
    rlengland2014 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to keto diet and want to lose 50 pounds. I don't like meat although I'm not strictly speaking vegetarian. Like to get some pointers on ketosis without red meat...
  • DMveggie
    DMveggie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello comrades! I am a "fake vegetarian." Like Oaeneo I mostly hang out with vegetarians (especially my partner, who is the better cook!). I am not opposed to meat or dairy in theory but i am deeply bothered by factory farming. When I do eat meat and dairy, I try very hard to only purchase stuff that is fancy (environmentally sound and humanely raised). Which between being a mediocre cook and the cash-money, means searching for a lot of good veggie recipes. I've been trying for primal/keto for almost 2 months and feeling pretty good on it! My motivation was to wean myself off gross food, fix the prediabetes and be svelte : ) I am looking for really tasty recipes that are efficient, keto and vegetarian boyfriend-friendly. Avocados, eggs, nuts, & veggies foeva!
  • godsglory1
    godsglory1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello I have been a raw vegan for over 15 years and switched to a 80/10/10 which worked great for me until I hit my middle 40's then BAM weight just poured on!! I am looking for a way to see if the keto/paleo could work for a raw vegan. Would love to get rid of the 20lbs that seemed to have just showed up:/
  • lynneklr
    lynneklr Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi - my name is Lynne and I'm actually not vegetarian (full disclosure!) but.... I believe it is the better path and would like to see how you make it work for you and your health.

I'm new to MFP - been logging for two weeks and also new to the keto diet. I am in mild ketosis and still working on getting those carbs down under 10%.
  • ChiChiCavrone
    ChiChiCavrone Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Connie!
    I just joined this group. I have already lost a lot of weight on a keto diet. I took a break from keto and now I want to get back on track. I've been a vegetarian since October of 2013.
  • Jen_o
    Jen_o Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm 35 and have been a vegetarian for 17 years and have only started trying keto this year. I have become an occasional pescetarian in the past few months. To be honest, I was having a tough time sticking with Keto on a trip to Alaska, and since they have so much fresh/sustainably harvested fish, I decided to try it. However, most of the time, I'm still a veggie. I will slip into my pesci ways when I'm eating out and there are just no other Keto options. It's made it easier than when I was trying to do keto as a strict veggie.
  • barbarazbanks
    barbarazbanks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello, Quiet and Peaceful Group! I hope some of you are still around. I've been a vegetarian for more than 40 years. After an easy life as a skinny person, I started to put on weight in my 40s, and zowie, I can't stand it anymore. So many friends (NON-veg) rave about their incredible weight-loss success and (more important) feeling WONDERFUL in ketosis, that I'm determined to give it a try. I am investigating now, but will make the switch when I come back from visiting my daughter next week. I will be driving all day Sunday 7/31, working all day Monday 8/1,and then I will be SHOPPING for my keto plan on Tuesday, and jump right in!
  • vicmod
    vicmod Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi All, I'm a 15 year vegetarian that has studied and dabbled with the ketogenic diet and low carb diet for a few years now. Personally, I struggle with the amount of eggs and dairy required for vegetarians because I am more vegan inclined and generally because I am concerned about reduced vitamin and mineral content of such a diet plan, especially over the long term. As a person that has formally studied health and nutrition I understand that the body requires a broad spectrum of nutrients for day to day function. As a result, I have landed in low carb diet land. I try not to exceed 50 net grams of carbs each day so that I can eat a reasonable amount of veggies with each meal and occasionally some berries. I'm hoping to find like-minded folks to share recipes and support with. Thanks!
  • broodizt
    broodizt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I just joined this group I hope there are a lot of people out there that are trying to do low-carb vegetarian or keto vegetarian would like to meet like-minded people make friends share recipes give and get advice is there anybody out there?
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    It doesn’t seem like this group is very active but I thought I’d make introductions anyways! I’m Jenn and have been vegetarian/pescatarian for 4.5 years, leaning to more plant based. After having my son 18 months ago, I’ve struggled to get down to my pre pregnancy weight since. I was intrigued about keto because I have been having troubles controlling cravings especially in the evening with a carb heavy diet. I started keto almost 2 weeks ago and have lost 5 lbs in that time (likely mostly water weight) and even better my cravings have been reduced completely! Looking for like minded people to share ideas and recipes! Note: I’m 5’4 and 165lbs now