Lets talk about calories; Question for you at the end

Options
leahrose02
leahrose02 Posts: 4 Member
A normal non-obese individual typically needs 25-30 kcal/kg/day. To lose 1 lb per week (not accounting for lean muscle mass increasing passive caloric burn) you need to be in a 500 kcal deficit every day.

That math looks like (using my weight of 146.0 lbs for example purposes):
146.0 lb/2.2=66.4 kg
66.4 kg*25 = 1660 kcal/day ....... 66.4 kg*30 = 1992 kcal/day
minus 500 kcal/day = 1160-1442 kcal/day

My plan is to eat around 1600 kcal/day low carb and stay active with my workouts 4 days/week. I'm not looking to blast the weight off, just want the jiggle to go away. Slowly is fine.

So my question for you is: Using this calculation, is this around what MFP has you at for your goals?

Replies

• l4a_p
    l4a_p Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    68kg * 25 = 1700 / 68kg * 30 = 2040
    minus 500: 1200 - 1540 kcal/day

MFP sets the my goal at 1570 BUT I did choose to only lose half a pound per week.

So far, the estimate MFP made for me 5 weeks ago (eg "you will weigh X amount in 5 weeks time") has been correct.
  • loubenoit
    loubenoit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been reliably following the calories with few exceptions for 5 weeks. It said I would have lost 10 lbs by now but during an eight week running program and spin classes I have only gained weight. I don’t want to go any lower in calories as I am eating around 1,500 and I always meet the ‘goal’. So confused and frustrated.

I am 143 lbs aiming for 125 lbs. I am 41 and have always been pretty active.
  • l4a_p
    l4a_p Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    loubenoit wrote: »
    I have been reliably following the calories with few exceptions for 5 weeks. It said I would have lost 10 lbs by now but during an eight week running program and spin classes I have only gained weight. I don’t want to go any lower in calories as I am eating around 1,500 and I always meet the ‘goal’. So confused and frustrated.

I am 143 lbs aiming for 125 lbs. I am 41 and have always been pretty active.

That is so weird! I feel for you... Have you tried measuring (waist, thighs, belly, etc) aswel to make sure you're not gaining muscle?
    And how are you eating? Just kcal restriction or also other stuff?
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Hi OP - I actually use the calculator on tdeecalculator.net and don't log exercise calories. That way I don't need to muck up my macros when the MFP method gives me "eating back" calories. I just enter "burnt 1 calorie".

Right this moment i'm on just under 1600 cals. Not eating any back.

@loubenoit - I NEVER believe that "in 5 weeks you will weigh x kilos" thing because for me personally it's NEVER correct.

Now, as for you actually gaining weight and not losing it in the 5 weeks you have been eating 1500 cals, this can only mean that you're probably not actually eating only 1500 cals.

@l4a_p Sorry but it's not muscle. Muscle takes FOREVER to come onto women, particularly "vintage" women like loubenoit and I. (Someone called me vintage the other day, I thought it sounded good. Like a fine wine. I'm 43.)

It could be from not meticulously weighing every single bite and sip you take, using cups/spoons to measure stuff, purely scanning barcodes but not actually weighing the food (eg - my packet of bread says 120 cals per 40g slice. When I weigh the slice it can fall anywhere between 34 grams to 45 grams. That's not 120 cals.)

Or from being more 'relaxed' on the weekends. I can easily eat way more than 3000 cals on a weekend because I was so "good" during the week and then the whole caloric deficit I was on goes out the drain.

Anyway, look at stuff like that and good luck!
  • loubenoit
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback! I have a fairly restrictive diet 14a_p because I have Celiac disease but am also intolerant to dairy, corn, soy beans, quinoa, seafood, eggs and nuts. I try to keep up my protein with shakes, lentils and lean meat but it can be a challenge. Cahgetsfit, I do think there was some. Muscle gained over the last six months but mostly toning. My legs do look great. I decided to increase my sleep and see how that goes. I can be terrible at getting to bed on time, sometimes sleeping only 3.5-5.5 hours a night for weeks. Thanks again!
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I struggled at first dropping weight and kept lowering my calories but I read a variety of posts and decided to evaluate my protein intake. I though and assumed I was adequate or above average in my protein intake, I was shocked I was barely hitting 45 grams a day. I am active, maybe very active, I increased my protein to over 100 and then began to drop weight. Of course this is just me and my situation but reviewing your macros can maybe reveal some patterns particular to you.
  • loubenoit
    Options
    @Anabirgite I went to doctor and found out I am severely anemic! Not good but makes me feel a little better about things because my body couldn’t have been working well. My plan is to up my protein and take my iron supplements and see where I am at in a few months.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @loubenoit I am also celiac and it can be tough to balance out our nutrient requirements -especially if glutened accidentally, triggering more intestinal damage which can take a year of totally clean eating and body care products to get repaired. Talk to your pharmacist about your supplement choice - I have a "NO GLUTEN - CELIAC" note on my pharmacy medication file (accessible from any pharmacy in the province) and I use the 1-800 numbers on packages of makeup and lotion and haircare products to find the ones without gluten.