Other training?

Options
Brabo_Grip
Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
Does anyone train in any non-combat sport or non-martial arts in addition to BJJ? When, I popped a rib just before Masters Workds in 2017, I started running to try and keep my cardio up and my weight down while I healed up enough to roll.

I was never much of a runner, but found that I did enjoy the improved cardio and the extra calories burned so I have kept doing it. It became such a part of my routine in addition to training Combat Sports that on a whim I did my first half marathon last spring. I’m thinking about doing a full next year. Running will never replace the “high” I get from grappling or striking, but I am going to keep doing if it continues to be enjoyable.

Replies

• suzanne6094
    suzanne6094 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I love any form of Yoga and Swimming.....
  • Brabo_Grip
    Options
    I love any form of Yoga and Swimming.....

I have thought about trying yoga just to increase flexibility and decrease risk of being njury. The problem is trying to fit some thing else in my schedule! 😀

• suzanne6094
    Options
    I find when I slack on my yoga my whole body is out of balance and I get sick easily and my nervous system just gets to over worked with the BJJ training... Its essential in my routine.

We are in the middle of winter so all training is a little harder :p

What do you eat before a work out? I am trying to cut out caffeine for good but need to fuel up before a class.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Options
    I find when I slack on my yoga my whole body is out of balance and I get sick easily and my nervous system just gets to over worked with the BJJ training... Its essential in my routine.

We are in the middle of winter so all training is a little harder :p

What do you eat before a work out? I am trying to cut out caffeine for good but need to fuel up before a class.

I unfortunately probably drink too much coffee everyday, myself. As for eating pre-workout, I’m usually still in my fast. I intermittent fast and usually my main workout of the day (noon) is usually in a fasted state. If I am getting in a night workout too, I will usually have a half sweet potato in anticipation of a night workout. I am a huge fan of sweet potato’s. They really are a “super food” for an athlete.

I live in Arkansas in The US so we are in the hottest and most humid part of our summer. My gym does not have Air Conditioning so this time of year the training is awesome, but really tough.

• suzanne6094
    Options
    I hear you, I think really the amount of caffeine I take before work out is so minimal that its probably more the training itself stimulating the nervous system and then keeping me awake, we train from 19:15 to 21:00.