VSG or Gastric bypass? Looking for advice.

Options
halsnec
halsnec Posts: 2 Member
Hi, I just had my first appointments last Monday to begin my journey towards bariatric surgery. My options are VSG or gastric bypass. I have about 100 lbs to lose. Any advice based on your experiences? I am not sure which one to choose....

Replies

• HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    halsnec wrote: »
    Hi, I just had my first appointments last Monday to begin my journey towards bariatric surgery. My options are VSG or gastric bypass. I have about 100 lbs to lose. Any advice based on your experiences? I am not sure which one to choose....

I think there is a lot of other info to consider and there are pro and con with each surgery, however I had a bypass and it’s changed my life. All my pre surgical medical conditions are gone, heart burn gone, diabetes under full control, blood pressure normal. I am a year out and have fully adapted to my new way of life. I do suggest doing a lot of reading so your making an informed choice.

my surgical team choose what was best based on my medical info, I went with their decision because they are doctors and I am not.
  • SimplementeSM
    SimplementeSM Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Sleever here! I had an amazing experience with Dr. Fang out of Phoenix. Him and his team (with the exception of one person) was/is top notch. After discussing all of my options, I ultimately chose the sleeve. I'm almost 8 months out and I'm happy with my decision. I'm no longer prediabetic, my resting heart rate is lower, my BP is better.

My surgery was considered a revision surgery because I had a lap band for a while (it was removed when I was sleeved). One thing that I've noticed is if there is no medical reason for you to have one surgery over another, then it's all about what you feel most confident about. The surgery is just a tool to help you get to your goals 😊
  • KennyPollard
    KennyPollard Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am still waiting to see what I will have. Because of my band removal and a possible build up of scar tissue I might have to have VSG over Royx en y. I would prefer the later as it is considered the gold standard and reportedly has had a higher success rate..
  • halsnec
    halsnec Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your feedback! I have a couple months to research, and I will consult my medical team when the time comes as well. I am going through the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN- as I am lucky enough to live just an hour from there. So far they have been amazing!