Macro Calculator

Options
Goddess3814
Goddess3814 Posts: 15 Member
Hello! I have been relying on MFP and the assumption that keto is supposed to require more fat than protein. I decided to search for macro calculators and I used 7 different site calculators including the Ketogains Calculator. They ALL have my suggested protein as higher than my fat. Have I need doing keto wrong this entire time? Please share your macro calculator ss with me please. 😥

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    No, usually it is a few more fat grams than protein. But extra protein won't kick you out of ketosis.

Keto is technically high fat, moderate protein, low carb.

My macros are set for 5% Carbs, 70% Fat, and 25% protein. But because fat is 9 calories per gram and protein is only 4 calories per gram, my fat and protein grams per day are almost even, and I still hit my percentages.

What do you have your macros at currently?

• Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    0ba7jn2g7fnr.png

This is what my grams and percentages look like on good days.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    edited July 2019
    Options
    These are from the Keto calculator app that I saw recommended on a few articles and blogs. These are the numbers it gave me. I altered it a little. And for calories usually fall in-between moderate and large calorie deficit.

89sjmd03qt5k.png

uy2x19tymx0q.png
  • chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Ah, thank you for this. I was just re-adjusting my daily calorie goals as I seem to have plateaued. I'm also reading The Art of Low Carbohydrate Living. I set my carb goal at 25 g per day, and the protein goal at 95 g per day, and that left 104 g of fat per day. Perhaps my protein should even be a little higher, but I wondered why the fat was almost equal to protein. My thought was that I'm trying to burn the fat reserves I have on-board, so I don't need a lot of extra in my diet. But that info about the 9 calories vs. 4 calories I hadn't considered.

All in all, I think I'm on the right track. Increasing my protein should help me be more satiated than I have been the last couple of weeks. I also recently bought some broth, on the recommendation of the books I'm reading. I was trying to get enough sodium without that, but seemed to be struggling. Learning as I go.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    @chelny

Most my proteins have fats naturally, and I fill the rest of my fat in with olive oil, coconut oil, or butter.

Proteins or fats are filling. The body metabolizes them slower.

Funny, eating this diet made me remember biochemistry class going over all this crap. I remember thinking, if the body metabolizes fat the slowest, shouldn't we be able to lose weight eating a high fat diet. I probably would've been laughed out of class if I had asked that during the rise of the low-fat phenomenon!!! LOL!!!!