Living the Lifestyle - Wildcard Wednesday - 07/24/2019

Options
misterhub
misterhub Posts: 6,277 Member
Sorry everyone for the tardiness. I should plan this out at least the day before. Perhaps not intended but this may be the reason my mind drifted towards this subject. You know the subconscious mind thing?

We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday - imastar (Derrick
Tuesday - GavinFlynn1 (Gavin)
Wednesday - Wildcard (Bueller? Bueller? Anyone?)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - Wildcard

Today's Topic: Most Important Meal - to You

Tradition, and to some degree science, tells us that the most important meal of the day is breakfast. It gives us wake up fuel and helps us have a more balanced sense of hunger throughout the day.

But, that's not the case for everyone. For some folks, other meals are more more important and meaningful for the individual.

What about you? Science and tradition aside: what is the most important meal of the day for you as an individual? Or, are they all just the same for you in the grand scheme of things?

Replies

• GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    Right now, my most important meal is my late night snack. That’s not because it’s what I need to get through the day, but rather it is where my day most often goes off the rails.

I’m a night owl, and having a late night snack has been a part of a healthy lifestyle back when I was doing the program well. But late night is also when my will power is lowest, and it is where I have a most often gone off the rails.

I had a victory last night by making an omelette rather than going for ice cream or any number of other High Point options. That’s the kind of thing I did when I reached her goal and was living in the lifestyle that I wanted.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,008 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is the most important meal for me and always has been. However Dinner or Supper as some call it is my most favorite meal of the day. The Dinner meal can be my worst enemy as far as staying on track. I tend to eat too much as far as portion size because many days lunch wasn't a big meal for me. The older I get the less the Dinner meal becomes more important and lunch is becoming my favorite meal.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Breakfast sets the foundation for my day. And I always wake up hungry even though I typically get up at 4:30am.

Not a late night eater as I’d rather sleep. This time of year I’m in bed before the sun sets with the exception of my stupid long work days. Last night I proctored an exam that went until 9pm. I’m dragging today.
  • Brian_19
    Brian_19 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    I guess I'd say that dinner is most important. It certainly provides the biggest challenges, because usually all other meals I'm eating alone and it's easier at breakfast and lunch to do my thing and listen to hunger signals. Gavin, I hear you about the evening snack challenge too.

I've been skipping breakfast at least a few times a week, and eating less when I do have a morning meal. I'm finding I'm not hungry in the mornings - at least not consistently - and small bites will satisfy me until lunch time. Yogurt and banana or apple would be pretty typical.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    3 squares a day here. And I don’t think I’d want to give up any one of them. But lunch seems to take up a few more calories.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 2,998 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, it's hard to define one as being more important than the others. I do like what @GavinFlynn1 said above: my after-dinner tea has become a critical strategy for me. During the time of night where I am most challenged by an urge to snack (or have beer/wine), I often make a cup of tea instead. I think it satisfies some psychological need to "eat" something while not doing something totally calorically-stupid!
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,701 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is my jump start so I could never miss breakfast,