Keto flu

Options
jhaddon7143
jhaddon7143 Posts: 57 Member
So my keto flu returned.. been off for a couple of days.
Looking at my nutrition for the last few days, i am getting about 3000mg of sodium but only 2000is mg of potassium.
If i up my potasium to 4000 - 4500 mg, it should help?
The sticky said try and get at least 4700mg... but how much is to much?

Replies

• EelkoDoesKeto
    EelkoDoesKeto Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    apparently keto flu is mostly caused by dehydration, some keto experts recommend regularly drinking bone broth .... but some others say drinking water with some salt in it (and some lemon juice to make the flavour less bad) helps with keeping hydrated..
    I am taking extra Magnesium, but am considering also getting Potassium to help.
  • EelkoDoesKeto
    Options
    oh, and I am drinking craploads of water...
  • jhaddon7143
    Options
    Ya think im getting enough sodium. And i take zma every night at bed so that covers my magnesium. Just have to up potassium.
    And i drink about a gallon of water every day
  • EelkoDoesKeto
    Options
    Oh bummer, thats all I had sorry :(
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I use a potassium salt substitute called NO-Salt.

I cook with sea salt, and then sprinkle food with NO-Salt.

It raises my potassium levels a lot.
  • jhaddon7143
    Options

Just was reading about no salt. Got to get me some
  • Emmapatterson1729
    edited July 2019
    Options

Just was reading about no salt. Got to get me some

Sprinkled on cooked or prepared foods, tastes almost identical to salt...

To me, it tastes bitter when cooked.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I can't eat enough beef to get a full day's potassium. I do get some from beef and avocados. But usually way under daily recommended.

Even with the couple of sprinkles of no-salt, I don't meet anywhere near daily potassium.

As much as I love salty foods, most with heart problems have to limit sodium. If I consume too much, I end up with edema, and then have to take diuretic and potassium. I wish I didn't have to watch sodium, it would make keto much easier.

Hoping losing weight and eating keto can reverse some of my health issues, like high blood pressure and edema.

Screenshot the above chart. Good reference to have on phone.

• jhaddon7143
    Options
    Today i ended with 4000 mg of both sodium and potassium. I feel so much better....
  • Jessimom2
    Jessimom2 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Agree with @Sunny_Bunny_ too much potassium can be dangerous - dangerous to the heart. But low potassium is bad too. I drink one sugar free Propel a day (yeah it has artificial sweetener, but I know it’s made to replenish electrolytes. I couldn’t find a non flavored one anywhere that wasn’t a crazy cost. I went with cheap). I also take a Nature Made magnesium, calcium, and zinc along with a multivitamin and some extra vitamins too. The other vitamins are mainly for boosting skin health so can share, but not for this problem. I was getting leg cramps at night before taking the propel and magnesium supplements. Not a problem now :)

I fast. So I take all the multivitamins and the propel during my eating window. So I can try to really plummet my insulin response and not risk breaking the fasting window. But you will want to separate an extra calcium supplement a few hours from a multivitamin and take both with food in case you get stomach upset from them if you start. My stomach seems fine with it, but some people feel yucky if they take with no food.

If this continues you may want to go to the doctor and just make sure everything is okay. It’s easy to say it is keto flu because of the diet change. But you never know if it may be something else.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Options
    https://drbubbs.com/blog/2017/1/top-3-mineral-deficiencies-on-a-ketogenic-diet-and-how-to-fix-it

He says it's okay to up everything the first few weeks during the initial water weight loss.

I listen to my body, if I wake up or can't sleep from leg cramps and I know I took a my magnesium supplement, I'll try to get a little more potassium the next day. The next night I'm fine.

Unfortunately, in America, most foods do not label potassium any longer, which sucks!!!
  • RAC56
    RAC56 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Today i ended with 4000 mg of both sodium and potassium. I feel so much better....

Sunny Bunny knows her stuff!! Plain old water acts like a magnet and draws sodium out of our bodies with ease. So folks drinking a "ton" of water need even more sodium. Magnesium and Potassium can be forgiving but Mr. Sodium is a real taskmaster!! Try to keep your sodium to at least around 3,500mg per day and you should do fine. :)