OK! Need ideas for asia

Options
Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
I'm heading to Asia this weekend, and while I'm normally "slow carb" I want to be low carb in Asia. I'll mostly be in Japan. I adore sashimi, so that's good. I'd love some advice, hints, tips for eating low carb in mostly Japan.
I know sauces are an issue. I'd love breakfast ideas for one. What else should I be thinking about eating and avoiding?

GO! (Tia).

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    All the Japanese foods my family loves and prepares aren't exactly low carb.

We love tamagoyaki, a Japanese egg dish served for breakfast/brunch.

We also love mitarashi dango. It's a lightly sweetened dessert.

There's several variants of both dishes.

A lot of the cuisine contains rice flour. I couldn't imagine eating low carb in Japan. I would probably have to splurge a little there.

Good luck and safe travels!

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

A lot of the cuisine contains rice flour. I couldn't imagine eating low carb in Japan. I would probably have to splurge a little there.

I had tamagoyaki last time I was in Japan. A savory variety was my favorite.
    Fortunately, desserts aren't my thing, so at least there's that.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

I had tamagoyaki last time I was in Japan. A savory variety was my favorite.
    Fortunately, desserts aren't my thing, so at least there's that.

I prefer the savory as well. I can't even eat the sweet ones.

The dango is a gummy dumpling (same texture as mochi)... But in a very lightly sweetened soy sauce... Sweet and salty at the same time.

Have fun!

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Good luck! I am from JPN and absolutely LOVE Japanese food- a lot consists of Carb; Rice, noodles (udon, yakisoba, somen, ramen, soba) BUT on the other hand, there are other options. You can go to Izakaya and get appetizers like Yakitori, Edamame, Grilled fish, Beef, Pork etc! BBQ places, Shabu shabu places, most places will have rice onthe side. Just say NO to it.

So jealous! I go in November every year. Enjoy! :D

I love Shabu Shabu! (I've been to Japan before). Thanks for the ideas.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I am in Tokyo, so big yes to all the things @weatherking2019 listed! I stick to grilled chicken and yakitori at the convenience stores for quick lunches. Soba (buckwheat noodles) is good, but are often made mixed with wheat flour, so beware if you have blood sugar problems. There is a steak chain called Ikenari Steak that is affordable (Angus beef) but most shops are stand-up only (no stools, keeps people moving on?) -- the lunch is cheaper. At sushi shops, you can order a bowl called kaisen don that is a layer of seafood on top of rice--just don't eat all the rice. Yoshinoya offers a beef bowl over salad base instead of rice for low carbers. https://www.yoshinoya.com/menu/

For alcohol, there are chuhai canned drinks that are pretty low carb, as well as low carb beers (Sapporo Zero, Asahi Green Label and I think one from Kirin too). Lots of wine available now. Sake is good, but higher carb. Skip the ramen shops--menus are all wheat noodles. Tamagoyaki sometimes has sugar in it, so go easy on portions if it tastes sweet. Have a great trip! How long are you staying?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Have a great trip @Sabine_Stoehm! I loved Japan, but it was many years ago since I've been there, 17 to be exact. I loved all the food but I wasn't low carb then, only GF (took my own sauces.) Please give us a report back and maybe a photo or two :D
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    camtosh wrote: »
    I am in Tokyo, so big yes to all the things @weatherking2019 listed! I stick to grilled chicken and yakitori at the convenience stores for quick lunches. Soba (buckwheat noodles) is good, but are often made mixed with wheat flour, so beware if you have blood sugar problems. There is a steak chain called Ikenari Steak that is affordable (Angus beef) but most shops are stand-up only (no stools, keeps people moving on?) -- the lunch is cheaper. At sushi shops, you can order a bowl called kaisen don that is a layer of seafood on top of rice--just don't eat all the rice. Yoshinoya offers a beef bowl over salad base instead of rice for low carbers. https://www.yoshinoya.com/menu/

For alcohol, there are chuhai canned drinks that are pretty low carb, as well as low carb beers (Sapporo Zero, Asahi Green Label and I think one from Kirin too). Lots of wine available now. Sake is good, but higher carb. Skip the ramen shops--menus are all wheat noodles. Tamagoyaki sometimes has sugar in it, so go easy on portions if it tastes sweet. Have a great trip! How long are you staying?

Thanks for this as well. It's been a while since I visited Japan. This time I'm there for about 10 days.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I love shabu shabu, too. When I lived in Asia I often got that and asked for an extra egg instead of rice. I've only been in Japan briefly. I did a brief low-carb stint when I lived there and would just get meat and veggie dishes without the rice or noodles. I didn't find it too hard.