Thoughts on cheat days?

Options
ElizbethMolly
ElizbethMolly Posts: 32 Member
What are your thoughts on cheat days? Do you allow them? Do you plan them? What is considered a "cheat day" for you?

I had to eat out twice today because of being away from home. Both were fast food and I made a healthier than normal selection. Technically I stayed under my calorie limit for the day, but it's higher than my weekdays were and the food was garbage compared to what I ate all week. I was feeling bad but then my husband suggested just calling today a cheat day. I hadn't planned on doing cheat days, so I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Replies

• Jezzie625
    Jezzie625 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I feel like cheat days often make me eat whatever and whenever I want on that day, causing me to go way overboard on my calories, which is counterproductive when trying to lose weight. I become kind of like ALR and start planning my "binges" on cheat day, because that's basically what happens when I would do cheat days.

If you're doing it like this though, while staying under your calorie limit, I believe it's fine. I decided to do cheat meals instead of cheat days, because it leads to binging less, and lets be honest, everyone sometimes has a reason because of which they aren't able to count calories, like for example me having dinner with my boyfriend's parents tonight.

I also often do OMAD (or almost OMAD if I get really hungry and have to have some veggies during the day) when I'm craving something. Like yesterday, I really wanted something like a spring roll and other fried things (which I made less awful by putting them in my airfryer in stead of the normal fryer) and light icecream. So, I went for a walk with the bf, and only had a very light lunch (200 kcal). I did end up getting drunk also, but instead of choosing the special beers or flavored vodkas (which I love), I drank normal vodka all night, and a bit of rum and tequila. I tracked everything in myfitnesspal and I stayed under my allotted calories for the day. I know it's not the healthiest thing to do, but at least you know what you put in your body, where your calories were at, and you don't have to feel guilty because you let yourself go over your calorie limit.

I'm sorry, this became long and I'm rambling. But yeah, I'd say what you did yesterday was fine, if you want to call it a cheat day that's fine, but I wouldn't actually plan cheat days. You had no choice yesterday, and stayed under your limit, so I don't think there's a problem.
  • slugbugslugger
    slugbugslugger Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    If you eat like a Puritan 6 days a week, sometimes you need a day where you don't sweat what you eat as hard. I wouldn't make it a habit, but every once in a while is fine
  • inkpoisonedsoul
    inkpoisonedsoul Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Saturdays are my cheat meal days. I get to eat up to maintenance that day and indulge in something I love but wouldn't normally eat during the week. This week, I had 2 big grilled cheese sandwiches for 1000 calories. Last week I had half a bag of chocolate covered pretzels. It's just 1 meal and I still need to eat no more than my maintenance (2500 calories) calories that day.

Saturday is also leg day which is absolute murder. So, having a cheat meal right after my workout is wonderful. Makes me want to get to the gym and do my best during my workout so I can earn my treat lol.
  • Evildead0
    Evildead0 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Cheat days/meals used to make me fall off the wagon. I'd beat myself up for indulging, and then just give up and go back to my old habits.

I think doing CICO has helped with this, but I have also changed the way I look at dieting. In the past I was really hard on myself, and obsessed with seeing a good loss every week. Now I've changed that; I'm going to be proud of myself for any loss each week, or even just maintaining, and I'll forgive myself if I gain.

I haven't gained though! I've lost an average of 2lbs per week. And I've integrated 1 cheat meal per week, which hasn't been an issue at all! I even had a whole cheat day on my birthday, it was great lol